wc3 win5 patch?

U

Unregistered

I have a question.... is there any windows 95 patch for WC3? It seems like there ought to be, seeing as how KS is set up for win95.... ?

I have a win 98 box I would like to run my old copy of WC3 on... and such might help. of course, I rather doubt it exists.... but even so.

Some people have had success using the Kilrathi Saga executable for WC3, but we haven't tested this properly. Do you no longer have drivers for your sound card on your machine? What problem do you have trying to run the game? If you have a modern computer with Windows XP, you can also just run the DOS version of WC3 in DOSBox.

It's been a long time since I've done it myself (when I got KS I *gave* away both DOS copies of WC3 I had. If I had only known more than 10 years later the problems I'd have getting it to work in XP....) IIRC, it does work just fine- the only disadvantage is due to the difference in the music files (WC3 DOS had MIDI gameflow and inflight music, where KS has digital) using the WC3 KS executable with the DOS version results in no music. Any compatibility issues with KS/XP would also apply. On a side note, the DOS version of WC3 works just fine in Windows 98- though depending on your sound card, you may have sound issues there too. If you have a SB Live card, its not too hard getting the SB16 emulation to work within Windows... though if you're really gung ho- get you some boot disk and DOS Sound Driver action (again, much less likely with anything other than a Sound Blaster)

My problems with WC3 on my current machine and my win98 machine are mostly movies........or controls...........or sound..........depending on the time of day. :(

My joystick is a USB.... so if I run on the win98 system... I'll have to get a port-to-port connector.

If I get the thing running on my XP system, the joystick has issues... the mouse wanders... and the ship is more manuerable in two directions then the other two. (That's after several calibrations.) Also the movies are either jumpy.........or squished vertically. (The above is the best I've gotten it running in XP, that's after much reading of old posts in this forum and the use of VDM sound.) Oh, the movies still have somewhat scratchy sound, but it's understandable.

As to the win98 system... I'm having a good bit of trouble getting the sound working on it. I loaned it to my mom, and she canniblized it, but I came up with enough parts to consider it a complete system. Alas, I can't get it onto the internet with my current internet setup. )Oh, it also likes to complain the new CD drive in it is "Reading the CDs faster then is possible." ;)

Here's a screwball idea which might or might not work............and might or might not conflict with WC CIC's no abandonware policy.

If the movies for WC3 are identical files to the KS files.......... WC CIC could host all the KS game files.... but not the movie files... for those of us who have the CDs... but would like to run the updated version. Is that a possibility, or not? (Oh, if this would work but interfer with your policy, disreguard it.)

Oh, I downloaded the new drivers for my usb joystick to take them to the win98 box to see if I could get it to run.................... and the driver install program wants direct x 8.1!!! (Where can I get that for win 98?)

Remember, with DirectX- a higher version than required by minimum requirements should work just fine. You should be able to get DirectX 9.0c from Windows Update or from www.microsoft.com/directx . I do not know if running this high of a DirectX version under '98 will affect KS in any negative way (but if I recall, the answer is no).

I got it running rather well on my XP box.

The trick was running wc3joy.exe .....which I had but had somehow neglected to actually activate...

It's still quirky and needs frequent calibration, but it's much more effective now. Sure, the movies sometimes run very fast.... but it runs.

Unregistered said:
If the movies for WC3 are identical files to the KS files.......... WC CIC could host all the KS game files.... but not the movie files... for those of us who have the CDs... but would like to run the updated version. Is that a possibility, or not? (Oh, if this would work but interfer with your policy, disreguard it.)

It's the other way around. We might someday host all the movie files, but not all the game files. But it sounds like all someone would need would really just be the one executable, and someday we'll look at potentially posting that as a Win95 upgrade patch. We just haven't gotten around to that yet.

The issue of not in-game having music when using the KS executable could also be easily worked around- as KS also included musiced.exe which allows you to customize your music with wav files. I doubt it'd be too difficult to extract the data from wc3music.tre- which I think was already done for the movie project?

Back