WC3 KS Version fix on XP

Yes it does do the same thing for both computers. Otherwise I might be inclined to think it might be the sound hardware as the mac has Realtek Hi def audio card. Ill try the graphics thing. I can set the program to use specific graphics preferences so ill give that a go. And Yes I get the same issues with both fullscreen and windowed mode except with windowed mode i can force quit the program. Most times, in full, it crashes in such a way where the program manager won't pop up.

EDIT:
Nope still crashed this time right after I had finished talking with hobbs on the the first mission and i clicked the elevator. It also should be noted that, afterward, when I click on the WC3W.exe profile on my NVIDIA settings that programs crashes as well :rolleyes: I had pretty much turned off all options except "negative LOD bias" i set to "allow" and "Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration" i set to "single display performance mode"

For the compatibility settings, have you tried enabling different compatibility modes on the WC3W file in addition to KSINIT? For things like this, you often need to fix up multiple exes so that things are stable after the handoff.

Long before I tried this patch I tried all the compatibility modes On the WC3W and that didn't work. It didn't occur me to try it on the installer. But its my understanding running compatibility messes up this patch, and I have tried it on WC3W.exe with the result I couldn't get past the origin movie screen. However are you suggesting I reinstall WC3 running the KSINIT in win95 compatibility mode? Otherwise I don't see how the launcher would effect the WC3W.exe itself

Need help installing this on XP

Any guide me to get this installed on windows xp with service pack 2? Just installed it and intro loads up then everything just crashes back to desktop.

Thanks guys

Cheers

Any guide me to get this installed on windows xp with service pack 2? Just installed it and intro loads up then everything just crashes back to desktop.

Thanks guys

Cheers

You could first make sure that absolutely nothing else is running at the same time. It may not be apparent that it's running but things like virus scanners could make it crash.

Have you tried experimenting with compatability modes on the WC3 exe file?

If none of those modes help try adjusting the various levels of hardware video and sound acceleration in the directx diagnostic panel.

Also, you can give mincemeat's superpatch a shot. To install it, first remove any compatability settings you may have applied to WC3, and then download and install this patch: http://download.wcnews.com/files/other/mincemeat_wc_superpatch.zip

Hmmm

Well Id have to say that I downloaded these from a website...seems complete... actually the individual exe files from each game work... but I do not hear any music playing when I'm flying around or wandering in the ship or watching an intro.. just sound effects and speech... maybe the game was originally like that? Its been awhile since playing these... but the Kilrathi saga exe file is the one that loads the intro with music and such..then crashes as it finishes... and I heard the kilrathi saga version is slightly enhanced? Or maybe I am wrong... I just do not want to be forced to pay a big penny for these off ebay if I do not have to... the link you sent me did not fix it btw...

Well Id have to say that I downloaded these from a website...seems complete... actually the individual exe files from each game work... but I do not hear any music playing when I'm flying around or wandering in the ship or watching an intro.. just sound effects and speech... maybe the game was originally like that? Its been awhile since playing these... but the Kilrathi saga exe file is the one that loads the intro with music and such..then crashes as it finishes... and I heard the kilrathi saga version is slightly enhanced? Or maybe I am wrong... I just do not want to be forced to pay a big penny for these off ebay if I do not have to... the link you sent me did not fix it btw...

No they aren't originally like that. The warez versions strip out all the music files to save space. What's more, we cannot and do not condone piracy here (check the forum rules).

Second, the only real enhancements for most of the games in the KS besides win95 suppord is digitized music (of which the original midis can sound way better with a proper soundset) and various joystick support.

It's actually easier often to get the dos versions working in dosbox... and they're cheap on ebay.

Kilrathia XP

Ouch... sounds like I will need to buy these to get the full effect?

WC3 refuses to work

wanted to try my good old KS again. Run into a problem with WC3. (I am using XP SP2)

It freezes and kills the entire machine, sometimes it freezes before the intro is played, sometimes after I aborted the intro, one time I made it till the first briefing (and the movie played and stoped after 2 seconds). Compatibility Modes dont seem to have an effect. Neither your patch. (yes, I removed the CM settings before installing)

out of ideas. The CD's are okay and I even tried my backup that I made couple of years ago. Same problem.

Anybody?

wanted to try my good old KS again. Run into a problem with WC3. (I am using XP SP2)

It freezes and kills the entire machine, sometimes it freezes before the intro is played, sometimes after I aborted the intro, one time I made it till the first briefing (and the movie played and stoped after 2 seconds). Compatibility Modes dont seem to have an effect. Neither your patch. (yes, I removed the CM settings before installing)

out of ideas. The CD's are okay and I even tried my backup that I made couple of years ago. Same problem.

Anybody?

If you have a fast machine and a win95/98 cd lying around, you could try creating a "virtual machine" and running the game that way. A lot of people have a lot of trouble with getting wc3-KS to work properly in XP. It's often easier just to use the dos version in dosbox if you happen to have that also.

no DOS version around and I also would prefer KS since I hate the DOS music score.

Any advice?

no DOS version around and I also would prefer KS since I hate the DOS music score.

Any advice?

well, personally, because the dos versions can use general midi or Roland MPU-401 and because Dosbox will emulate those on your modern soundcard's wave table the music will often sound better than the KS recordings ever did.

If the stuff you've tried hasn't worked so far, I'd start looking at the background programs you have running. One of them could definitely be causing a conflict. Alternately, some part of your audio/video hardware/software could be doing it.

Just wanted to add my experience on trying to get WC3:KS to run in XP. I tried messing with sound and video accelerations, compatibility profiles, patches, everything listed in this thread and things that were not listed. After several hours nothing worked. The furthest I would get in the game to run would be after the first mission when the chief comes to the fighter. Anyway, I have Vista on a dual boot so I figured I would try it, and of course it didn't work on it either. I received several errors trying to install the game.

What I eventually did is create a folder in Vista and copy the entire 1st CD over to the folder (no installation). I then went into the WC3 install folder (WC3inst) and and changed compatibility on WC3W.EXE to Win 95. I then clicked on WC3W.EXE from the install folder and ran the game for 1 hour straight w/out any issues.

I tried the same workaround on XP but it didn't work.

maybe my dual core? but disabling one processor did not have an effect either.
any hints WHICH programms?

I aquired a DOS version of WC3. Runs fine. Problem is it's german and I prefer the original voicework.

Is it somehow possible to play the Kilrathi Saga WC3 using a Dos executable? You know, with all the scenes and music? What would happen if I replace the gameflow and music files on my harddrive? And are the KS CDs accepted by a DOS WC3?

It at least works the other way. KS will accept DOS CDs. But the music is different, and will not play if you run it this way.

Back