WC3 and WC4 (DOS) problem in Pentium 3 machine

Muz_1234

Chief Petty Officer
Wing Commander 3 cannot start in a Pentium 3 machine, and Wing Commander 4 the film freezes at certain time.

Wing Commander 3
VESA DRIVER Present -- SVGA Possible
(Don't start)

Wing Commander 4
(Film freeze sometimes, CD-ROM drive struts)

Is there any DOS patch for it?

Which versions of the game are you using? Do you have the original CDs? A different version? The GOG downloads? Are you trying to use dosbox in windows on this old machine? Are you running Win98? Or a newer version like XP or win7? If you are using an older version are you running the game in windows or proper dos mode?

WC3 will be a dos version unless you have the Kilrathi Saga edition.

WC4 you want to upgrade to the win95 version at the very least. Honestly though, I'd just run it on a newer machine, upgrade it to the win version and install the DVD upgrade packs.

DOS version of the game. Try to install it in Windows 95, but in its built-in DOS.

Upgrade? You mean the patch version?

I'm still unclear if you have the CDs or are trying to run the GOG versions on an older machine?

To run WC3 in Win95 you probably want to run it in proper dos mode. That means to have to exit windows to dos mode or just boot into dos mode in the first place with a shortcut or a boot disk. Wing4 has a win95 patch that you install on top of the dos game and that will run it in windows nicely. You can download the patch here on the WCNews website: https://www.wcnews.com/techsupport.shtml#wc4dostowin

A P3 might be to slow for dosbox but too fast for the dos versions.. It also depends on the rest of the hardware:
- The speed of the P3, A 450 should run fine, but above the 733mhz the -might be a problem(I went from a 400Mhz AMD to a 2200+, so have little experience with that step running dos games)
- What kind of soundcard is used in the system? Does it properly run other DOS games?
- Videocard make and model, and seperate or add-on, another game that uses Vesa is Duke3D.
- If you purchased the system as a whole, and is 15-20 years old and stood still for periods of time, the original CD-player might have problems, what might cause the seek error issues, then again, your discs might be dirty or scratched.

- The speed of the P3, A 450 should run fine, but above the 733mhz the -might be a problem(I went from a 400Mhz AMD to a 2200+, so have little experience with that step running dos games)
If he's trying to run dosbox, then yeah... But in native dos mode that speed of CPU should not be an issue with either WC4 or WC3. If he was trying to run WC1 and 2 then yeah, there will be speed issues.

Back