Veterans Day

AdmiralHuang

Spaceman
First off, I think you should all see this. It brought tears to my eyes.

http://www.gcsdistributing.com/WeSupportU.htm

Today is Veterans Day, so it’s the time to honor and respect those who served our country on the fields of battle. Take the time to hear their story or just shake their hand. And to the warriors of our America, I salute you.

“A nation that forgets its defenders shall itself be forgotten.”

11th of the 11th.. Armistice Day.. Not just for America, think back to World War 1.
It was a European war where the US came into it late. Even then, most of the dying was done by the UK, France, Russia and Germany.

"Least We Forget"

It's "Lest we forget". And it's also known as Remembrance day in other countries (renamed from Armistice day years ago). Had a heck of a time getting a poppy, too - vets are getting very hard to find :(. And damned businesses that don't let them sell in front of their doors.

Good to honor those who serve. Horrible to go to war in the first place.

Admiral H. - Thanks

Admiral Huang : Thanks, your post is very appreciated. I am a Veteran, retired military with 22 years of service (Signals Intel - what used to be called the "Army Security Agency"; with several tours to Asia and Europe, beginning with Thailand in 1975); for that matter I am a *disabled* Veteran, with a service-connected disability. Your post seems sincere - "Thanks!"
:)
(I am still living "in the dark ages" - I'm still using 56k dialup, so I didn't wait for that page (Macromedia Flash) to load... whatever, thanks anyway, I'm sure it was good)

Newcommanderondablock: Today IS a recognized holiday in the USA called "Veterans Day"; I'm sure that Admiral H. was addressing Americans to encourage them to observe it in some way. Not sure where you are going with your comment....

Sincere expressions for the benefit of Veterans on Veterans Day are always appreciated. Especially if / when it comes from civilians, it makes the service & sacrifice seem more meaningful. I'm lucky enough to live in a state (Texas) whereby Veterans are relatively well recognized. There is a local restaurant chain ("Golden Corral") that serves a free dinner to Veterans and their families on Veterans Day - to cite one example. My local newspaper is "chock full 'o " articles and editorials today...

Don't mean to throw a shadow on the spirit of the post - that is not my intent - it is all very well and good to say "thanks" to Veterans, or fly a flag, or to put a bumper sticker on a car, or for some politician to make an appearance at a Veterans Day Memorial : but if anyone wants to HELP Veterans, you should know that there ARE issues that Veterans are concerned with. If you go to the link that I posted below, it is fairly informative about ONE of the issues.

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/issues/alert/?alertid=4039506&content_dir=ua_congressorg

Please study that post, feel free to research and VERIFY the facts (yes, I posted that). If you peruse that site, you will see other posts from Disabled Veterans on that same issue. There are also issues concerning the Veterans Administration (VA Healthcare Issues). I would encourage people to contact their congressmen on these issues. Congress might be inclined to treat Veterans better IF civilian, as well as Veteran voters get involved.

- Thanks

You're welcome to use links on the form - "hotlinking" is when you load another sites images without their permission.

I did make one vow when I decided to become a history major (thus teach the subject): I would not just skim over the topic in class, but actually try to spread the idea that veterans are more than just soldiers, that they are defenders of our freedoms, that deserve respect.

What a guy. Thanks. And let's not forget that we got guys (my nephew, in the 4th Division, 122nd Bn, C Co.) in harms way right now. I have a niece in the Air Force, and a niece in the Marines. My little Jarhead got back from Kuwait a couple of months ago. If my nephew gets home O.K., he's going to get the best welcome home a Soldier ever got from a Marine.

Back