uncharted games reviews

Jdawg

Commodore
finally got a ps4 going through the uncharted series and so far I beat number 1 and about 40 percent done with number 2.

number one was fun but not the greatest game or story. the action was good and the voice acting and dialogue are there but it felt like a clone of a tomb raider game mixed with some gears of war. with a third rate Indiana Jones story. 7.5 to 8/10

Number 2 so far is a huge upgrade in every way. I feel like the dialogue is better, voice acting is still phenomenal, the story so far is more interesting, and the gameplay is a huge improvement. The game basically is on rails but there is so much vertical gameplay that the action always feels more important and in your face than the first game. I do wish there were some more puzzles/tombs, like the first one though. so far easily a 9/10

It is fun seeing a company like naughty dog building on each game and adding meaningful changes..

beat uncharted 2 today for the first time, like I said before got a ps4 and going through all four games in a row for the first time ever.

I give uncharted 2 a 9/10. the characters, dialogue and acting are all great and a notch above the first game, I even liked the one note bad guy. The story started out more interesting than uncharted 1 but fell into the throw away indiana jones schlock. The set pieces were amazing, and the action was good. I did have problems sometimes with seeing what you can interact with as far as the platforming goes and the mechanics that went along with that were wonky. I also thought at some pts they just threw too many bad guys at you and it went from being fun to repetitive. Like I said in a previous post I could have used a couple of more puzzles, bc they were fun and added to the lore, plus I loved drakes notebook and all his doodles.

Last negative for me and this contains a small spoiler, late in the game there is a section were elena says something along the lines of try to keep a low profile and take the guards out silently in the tower, after failing many times I looked it up online and its actually impossible to do that. the only reason that line of dialogue is there is so elena can bust your balls about it later.

ps I like Elena but would have chosen Chole 10/10 times, I loved spending time with her during the game, she was great.

starting uncharted 3 in the next couple of days, heard it is the weakest we shall see.

so far for me to recap
uncharted 1 is for me a 7.5/10
Uncharted 2 is 9/10

I'd agree with that. Uncharted 3 is a bit unmemorable. The visuals and controls are even further improved but I struggle to recall what it was about.

Uncharted 4 I have no complaints about at all - except maybe being a bit overexposed (I foolishly played the trilogy just before its release). The tech is lovely, not as smart as what goes into Tomb Raider, but just as effective (watching the GDC presentations its easy to see how dedicated the team is). Uncharted 4 also is the first time I cared about the characters as much as I felt I ought to.

If you've not already though I'd consider taking a break and trying The Last of Us before stepping into Uncharted 3 - it's a little easy to get worn out on the formula and the Last of Us is a refreshing change of pace (or switching to Tomb Raider, it is equally as captivating).

I'd agree with that. Uncharted 3 is a bit unmemorable. The visuals and controls are even further improved but I struggle to recall what it was about.

Uncharted 4 I have no complaints about at all - except maybe being a bit overexposed (I foolishly played the trilogy just before its release). The tech is lovely, not as smart as what goes into Tomb Raider, but just as effective (watching the GDC presentations its easy to see how dedicated the team is). Uncharted 4 also is the first time I cared about the characters as much as I felt I ought to.

If you've not already though I'd consider taking a break and trying The Last of Us before stepping into Uncharted 3 - it's a little easy to get worn out on the formula and the Last of Us is a refreshing change of pace (or switching to Tomb Raider, it is equally as captivating).
thanks man I do have the last of us as well, but most of that game has been spoiled to me, I might take a break and start the witcher 3 after uncharted 3.

I beat uncharted 3 today and I know this might ruffle some feathers its my favorite so far and its not even close. They got the action at a lot better rate than number 2. What I mean is in number 2 it felt like endless waves of enemies. this game new when to move on and go to something else. It might have cut down the play time, bc I feel like this was far the shortest game that I played in the series. I think I beat it in 7.5 to 8 hrs, I played all of them on normal. The other thing that I love is they added a lot more tombs and puzzles in this one and while none were adventure game hard they did have quite a few clever ones especially the one in france at the castle where you had to use the torch to lite all the different symbols. This also has the best story bc it was at least somewhat grounded, and there was no horrible cheap boss fight at the end. I hated the first two boss fights of the series. I also really liked the villain in this one. Sully was great. Nate was great, Chole was ok they didnt give her enough to do and elena was ok, she was far less annoying in this one, but by far Charlie Cutter was the best character of them all. I was sad when he vanished half way through the game, it looks like his character is modeled after Jason Statham. The humor and dialogue in this one was amazing, I finally cared for these characters. they were kind of blah in one, I liked them in two, but love them in three. While none of the set pieces were as amazing as what we saw in 2 aka the train and the chopper destroying the building while your in it. I found the set pieces to be more fun to play here bc they were smaller and had more of them.

I do have some negatives, I feel like the hit box was off, I know a couple of times i was making headshots and they were not even hitting them. While I loved the hand to hand stuff, I felt like the game had way too many beat up the generic 7 foot tall bad guys that all look the same. Also Like my problems with number 2, I still feel like the climbing mechanics need an overhaul, very finicky when trying to jump from ledge to ledge.

Thats really all I got, graphics, voice acting, sound design, and gameplay are all top notch here. The remastered games are worth a play through. I got them for 25 dollars and had roughly 25 to 30 hrs of gameplay total throughout all three chapters. Plus the devs added in some bonus stuff in the forms of tweaks to the gameplay and speed run options that can extend the life of the games.

Overall once again
Uncharted 1- 7.5/10
Uncharted 2- 9.0/10
Uncharted 3- 9.5/10

Your feeling that the hit box was off is interesting if you are playing the the PS4 Remaster. Aiming and Responsiveness was an issue on PS3 but felt great on PS4 to me.

Oh and... Uncharted 4 is going to blow your mind. Less combat but what is there is more open-ended, while the exploration aspects are finally fully realized.

Your feeling that the hit box was off is interesting if you are playing the the PS4 Remaster. Aiming and Responsiveness was an issue on PS3 but felt great on PS4 to me.

Oh and... Uncharted 4 is going to blow your mind. Less combat but what is there is more open-ended, while the exploration aspects are finally fully realized.
yeah I had no problems with uncharted 1 and 2 with the hit box but with three I felt like there were some issues especially at a distance with the sniper rifles. The game was great however. I like the combat in the uncharted games just felt like 2 sent wave after wave of them. I cant wait for 4, but I really dont understand some of the hate number 3 gets.

Hey, I really like it too but it is simply the weakest one of the bunch. Some of the mechanics do not quite work and some of the story seems lazy. Think "You never had him?" and the hole thing with the drugs. Weak villian.

Hey, I really like it too but it is simply the weakest one of the bunch. Some of the mechanics do not quite work and some of the story seems lazy. Think "You never had him?" and the hole thing with the drugs. Weak villian.
see I have to disagree, using drugs and fear to control people made sense to me. in number 1 what good would that statue do, you want to make people submit not turn into mindless zombies. Number 2 had a better mystical item, but I could never tell if you would keep your senses truly or be turned into a guardian like the rest of them. bc if you remember the nice nazi guy lol shot his own friends in the head after they started changing up in the mountains. I think there is a case for number 2 to be better than number 3 but number one is by far the worst. go back and play 1 again, the story is very blah and the dialogue is not quite there like it was in number 2 and 3

I actually think the story moves pretty well in 1 and the writing is spot-on, with all the characters feeling developed and having a place. And for 90% of the story its about finding treasure, the whole curse thing only comes in the end and basically makes them give up retrieving it (and the sinister villain thinking about selling it as a biological weapon). Just as in the good old Indiana Jones Movies it emulates.

Uncharted 2 is pretty awesome and well focused (plus the in-medias-res beginning is great), the main flaws being that Sullivan is underdeveloped and that they still have not fixed the clone soldier problem ;-)

Uncharted 3 to me is a weird mix, on the one hand they are still retreading stuff again ("Elena breakup", Sully kidnapped and maybe dead? (twice?) ) and on the other they are going deeper into the main character's mind and showing the darker side of the hole treasure-hunting obsession thing. Which they leverage in Uncharted 4 obviously. The issue is that the story is unfocused here. Half the game I really did not care what they were after... (in theory, the drug idea is good but it is so underdeveloped and what is there feels gimmicky at best).
Gameplay-wise, I also think its the weakest with things like the melee levels being pretty boring sadly. Many of the scenarios are very impressive on a technical level and lacking in the Gameplay Department.
Luckily, LastOfUs & Uncharted 2's director came back to do U4 and it was awesome.

Last edited:
I actually think the story moves pretty well in 1 and the writing is spot-on, with all the characters feeling developed and having a place. And for 90% of the story its about finding treasure, the whole curse thing only comes in the end and basically makes them give up retrieving it (and the sinister villain thinking about selling it as a biological weapon). Just as in the good old Indiana Jones Movies it emulates.

Uncharted 2 is pretty awesome and well focused (plus the in-medias-res beginning is great), the main flaws being that Sullivan is underdeveloped and that they still have not fixed the clone soldier problem ;-)

Uncharted 3 to me is a weird mix, on the one hand they are still retreading stuff again ("Elena breakup", Sully kidnapped and maybe dead? (twice?) ) and on the other they are going deeper into the main character's mind and showing the darker side of the hole treasure-hunting obsession thing. Which they leverage in Uncharted 4 obviously. The issue is that the story is unfocused here. Half the game I really did not care what they were after... (in theory, the drug idea is good but it is so underdeveloped and what is there feels gimmicky at best).
Gameplay-wise, I also think its the weakest with things like the melee levels being pretty boring sadly. Many of the scenarios are very impressive on a technical level and lacking in the Gameplay Department.
Luckily, LastOfUs & Uncharted 2's director came back to do U4 and it was awesome.
wow how different two people can see the same thing. I thought the villain was one note in 1, and the story was just as you said very poor indiana jones fan fiction complete with u boats, nazis, and nazis zombies lol and uncharted 2 of course gave us another dose of nazi. I felt all the main characters were likable but were extremely underdeveloped in 1 in that I liked them but didnt really care about them. I will agree with you on the sully being kidnapped and dying twice and the elena breakup was retread and not needed in 3. but I thought the major characters were all really developed in three expect for chole; they different give her enough to do. But I thought we delved way deeper into nathan's personality and his relationship with sully. Even though you didnt like the villain in 3 I did bc, if you read between the lines it was obvious she was really in love with sully when she was younger, and I liked the fact that they teased nate's past and parents without giving it away yet. the villian was evil in 3 but at least had some nuance with her character. the two big bad guys in 1 and 2 were your typical twirl your mustache villain you see in 80s action movies so while I liked them ok they didnt really leave and impression on me

You are Fake News, Jdwag! ;)

Ignoring the stupid Trump-joke, as you stated its perfectly fine to have different opinions about the game and that is in fact telling me that my personal filter bubble still has some holes, thank god. Regarding your assessment of Uncharted 3, the interesting thing is that I also really liked it during my first playthrough and deemed it better than 1 and 2. The technical wizardry overshadowed a lot of its problems when I first played it.

Back