The state of WC?

MikeyBishler

Spaceman
Hi all,

I've been away from the WC community for quite some time as I've heard little about any new WC games coming out...which is rather disappointing as I really really liked them to start with...

Anyhow, my question is does anyone have any kind of idea what has happened to WC in general? Has Origin squandered the franchise? I have no idea so please, be gentle in your response.

On another note, is anyone here actually supportive of Chris Robert's and his new venture into Freelancer?

Thx for any helpful responses (in advance)

There currently aren't any plans for more products. Digital Anvil's projects are a different thing all together.

well I have no idea about C.Roberts and his freelancer but at any cost WING COMMANDER is the best and deserves the best!so hook on to WC
---------------------------------------------
Terran Confederation RULES the whole SOL. sector (solar system)
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Bellend said:
well, I love wing commander more but i must say starlancer kicks some serious ass! well done roberts
The graphics are good, but it's seriously lacking in the story/atmosphere department. Oh, and for the love of god, can we please give Warthog proper credit? I don't think either Roberts spent more than 5 minutes on it.

Actually, according to one of those recent Roberts interviews, Erin Roberts did spend quite a bit of time on it. Though Warthog still deserves plenty of credit
smile.gif

I had a look at that SL demo... I dunno, maybe it's just that I haven't got a joystick and the game doesn't have a mouse option, but... <shrug>

the demo doesn't really do it justice. and you really need a joystick to shoot down the torpedoes which you have to do quite often

...is everyone just too stubborn to look outside wing commander?
smile.gif
Freelancer looks very promising, 'sides, I look to Chris Roberts as the man who helped shape wing commander so I believe he should be given a chance. Just my take on it all.

No, there isn't. And frankly, I'm sick of people complaining about Chris Roberts' departure. He's just ONE man, people! Why don't you give some credit to the rest of the WC production teams?

Also, in case you have yet to notice, WCP came out just fine without Roberts. Sure, the story was a bit on the thin side, but it would have been that way even if he was there.

Hey then you guys can put some little more effort make better things than C.Roberts then that's coool!
cool.gif
and you guys can make good story bring out a good game then why dont you guys try it out guys bring that old super spirit in you guys and lets make WC a super simu. of the year by adding an extra cool stuff , new players , new cap ships , a different ending stuff somewhat like that and WC can become a superstar!!!

Prophecy was meant to be part of trilogy and had it been I'm sure the plot would have been adequate, it was the acting that annoyed me, it was like every other computer game, I'd been spoiled with WCIV.
Anyway WC could continue without roberts but there is no team left, I'm sure Origin could organise one but they won't, atleast not until everyone gets sick of ultima.

Also, there is the fact that, in all reality, WC has been a waning factor since the WCIV was mediocre/Chris Roberts left debacle. Now that Garriot is gone (who was, curiously, a supporter of continuing WC in his last days) it leaves only the new COO who is apparently anti-WC. It's really too bad. But I maintain that WC will never be the same w/out Roberts anyway...even though a number of talented people work at Origin, a series is never the same if not guided by its original visionary.

Well...I say thanks to those created WC, continued it with or w/o Chris Roberts, but it is WE the fans that make it great...we don't buy it, they don't fly it.
If we united together and put pressure on those ppl at EA/Origin systems, maybe they would get off there collective butts and continue/finish this newest storyline with the BUGS!!!! I for one would like to see it go on....Sure it started weak, but its got a lot of potential! So lets hear it ppl....Lets get with WC CIC and start a mass e-mailing campaign.... We flame each other here more than enough, we should turn up the heat under them says I !!!!

------------------
BLACKLION
Special Operations
"Kind of a bummer have your butt kicked by a dead guy!"

[This message has been edited by TheBLACKLION (edited August 01, 2000).]

Sometimes it's better. Take Star Trek, the shows improved greatly after the departure of Gen Rodenberry. Yes, the series would not have existed without him to begin with, but others improved on his vision. The Star Wars novels (not all of them, btw) greatly improved upon the vision that was laid out by George Lucas, to the point that Lucas has seemingly lost interest in doing the final Triology (Episodes 7, 8 & 9) New blood does not always mean things get worse.

Back