The possibilities...

Deadman

Spaceman
I have to admit that I was very scepticle about Origin being able to reliece an on-line sequal to WC but after playing Freespace 2 all of those worries are pretty much gone. Sure I wouldn't wan OS to release a completly on-line game, but it it defenatly feasible to play the game. If you want to join me in combat just download the demo at http://www.pxo.net/ and register to play. You don't need to pay a dime. You guys have got to play this! The game doesn't studder and the graphics aren't sacrificed. Yes it's not WC but it can give you an idea of what is to come for WC on-line if it ever does come. Note: All I have is a 56k modem and it ran great. Come on over and play.
smile.gif

---------------
http://www.pxo.net/

Last edited by a moderator:
POL would be different than FS2 demo. In there how much ships can you have fighting against each other? Eight? In POL, a persistant universe there would be much more ships, planets and space stations that in FS2. But I do hope it will run on a 56K modem.

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

Hooo boy, I'll bet that something like the "Battle of Endor" will happen. Can you imagine that number of ships on the same screen?

FS is prone to crashing with too many ships on screen. And you know what that sort of thing (crash) does to your stats in an online game.

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

[This message has been edited by klaus (edited January 14, 2000).]

Klaus, in WCOL maybe there could be a batle of Earth, or batle of McAulife. Not in POL though. But it would be cool to be a part of some of the most important batles in the WC history, well worth the $10 you have to pay every month.

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

The difference between FS2 and WCOL & POL is that the online experiance of FS is only fighting agains other ppl. WCOL & POL will have a plot (if they'll ever come out). I'll wait till you'll get the FULL version of FS2 to fight you...
wink.gif
(though a 56k modem won't be enough for that, trust me)

------------------
Evilution!

I wasn't directly yalking about great historic battle in the WC universe. I was just referring to the number of ships you see on screen at the same time.

That "Battle of Endor" is an expression people are using when a fan made mission just keeps spawning waves, after waves, after waves of enemies, thus leading to the condition of a swarm of fighters on screen. And that's something people recommend you DON'T do in a custom mission.

Now with POL, imagine a space sation near a planet that is a hub of commerce, like Earth, or New Detroit (was that the name), or New Constantinople. A place where everyone goes. Lots of ships on screen. That's going to require a big gaming machine, if it doesn't crash the computer. And I hope POL doesn't do the same as Everquest when your computer crashes.

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

It wouldn't be bad around major stations because most of the people would be inside. People wouldn't meet there to fight because some group of people would have probibly banded together to create a militia. So people would just be on the screen when they are actually moving to/from the jump points or nav points and the station itself.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

I've been doing a little dogfighting lately with real people. What I've found is that computer AI is in no way similar. Most dogfights last as long as twenty minuts while others last less than one. A few hours ago I got my ass kicked by a nine-year-old kid yet I can finish every WC game on nightmare. So if any of you are planning on getting (when/if) WCOL/POL you best brush up on your flying skills or your not going to make it very far. I will say this though, when the next WC game comes out I'm getting it. Regardless of wheather it's stand alone or not.

----------------
Failure is good. So long as you learn from your mistakes.

So, a nine-year-old made your nick come true, eh?
smile.gif

BTW, did you change your sig after that experience?
wink.gif

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

It was 13 to 3 when he had to go. I've got his e-mail address so I'm looking for a remach.
smile.gif
I may have gotten my ass kicked in the dogfight but I managed to hold my own when it came to takeing down capships. He kept getting wasted. He couldn't stay away frm the beem canons or flack. So i guess we both need a little work.
Different sig every day.
smile.gif
But I thought it apropriot.

-----------------
Look at the size of that Crock. Now I'm going to try to really piss him off by shuving my thump up his butthole.(southpark)

FS2 AI on Insane (Highest difficualty level) is better then WCP AI on nightmare
smile.gif

------------------
Evilution!

Back