The original Vampire fighter?

Edfilho

Cry some more!
While reading about US experimental fighter craft, I found the Bell XF-109. It looks a lot like the Vamp. I don't know if it's a coincidence or a source of inspiration (something that would've been perfectly acceptable, anyway), but it's pretty cool either way.

Haha, I love those crazy designs and how jets kept getting bigger, faster and more a product of committee.

I can imagine that if it weren't for the F-16 and F-17 projects throwing these guys for a loop, we'd have hundred foot (33 meter) long, four engine, mach three, swing-wing, three-seat combat jets with bogeyed landing gear.

Ugh, that's an ugly ship. But cool, nevertheless.
It's really more of a plane than a ship ;). And as for ugly... nah. It's mean-looking, but that doesn't make it ugly.

(mind you, the Vampire is actually the least-cool of the de Havilland jets, except for the Swallow. The greatest by far is the Sea Vixen)

The greatest by far is the Sea Vixen)
Gods below, I thought I was the only one who liked that flying disaster. Why did the co-pilot have to basically sit in a hole with only one tiny window? And what's up with the offset cockpit?

The coolest experimental aircraft from that era is, without reservation, the XF-103 Thunderwarrior:
xf103_2.jpg

xf103_5.jpg

It was meant to be a high-speed interceptor, and has a normal jet enigne with a ramjet. The pilot's seat was raised from the ground into the plane like an elevator, and the only windows showing into the cockpit were two small windows on either side, a la the Spirit of St. Louis. The sexiest plane ever designed in my opinion.

While reading about US experimental fighter craft, I found the Bell XF-109. It looks a lot like the Vamp. I don't know if it's a coincidence or a source of inspiration (something that would've been perfectly acceptable, anyway), but it's pretty cool either way.

It's probably no coincidence that both the authentic Bell fighter and Wing Commander Vampire are both designated F-109. Beyond just looks, they both have the same rotating engine pods on the end of their wings too. That's a nice find.

It was meant to be a high-speed interceptor, and has a normal jet enigne with a ramjet. The pilot's seat was raised from the ground into the plane like an elevator, and the only windows showing into the cockpit were two small windows on either side, a la the Spirit of St. Louis. The sexiest plane ever designed in my opinion.
Ugh, but that's just a rocket with little winglets attached :p. I don't like planes like that, they remind me of the Mirage, which is by far the ugliest and least interesting jet fighter ever conceived.

I was also reading about the F-104. Turns like a cow. But runs like gazelle.

And BTW, the last beautiful de Havilland warplane was the Mosquito. That was a great warbird.

I think the F-104 in experimental silver was absolutely striking. The Right Stuff captured the aircraft pretty well, and that scene with Yeager going for the altitude record is inspiring.

I think so many aircraft are beautiful. The designers for Wing Commander did a good job of capturing the emotional feel that a pilot can develop for his fighter craft. I dont know about you guys, but I love the Hornet for many reasons: not just because it was the first WC fighter I flew (the wallpaper with the hornets flying into the sunset here at the CIC is one of my favorite).

I find that different aircraft strike me in different ways. To me, the Supermarine Spitfire was elegant because of its clean and elegant lines. A MiG-25 is beautiful because of its overwhelmingly large engines and the evident clarity in its purpose and design.

Of all the various and unique aircraft out there, I must admit that nothing ever quite took my breath away as the first time I looked up and saw a B-17 lumbering slowly through the sky. Maybe it was the sound and smell of those radials, or just knowing what the crews went through...I wouldn't call the plane beautiful aesthetically. Still, something about that moment never quite escapes me.

BTW Fatcat, are you a scale modeler? That aircraft looks great in your post. What scale is it in? Did you make it?

I think the F-104 in experimental silver was absolutely striking. The Right Stuff captured the aircraft pretty well, and that scene with Yeager going for the altitude record is inspiring.

I think so many aircraft are beautiful. The designers for Wing Commander did a good job of capturing the emotional feel that a pilot can develop for his fighter craft. I dont know about you guys, but I love the Hornet for many reasons: not just because it was the first WC fighter I flew (the wallpaper with the hornets flying into the sunset here at the CIC is one of my favorite).

I find that different aircraft strike me in different ways. To me, the Supermarine Spitfire was elegant because of its clean and elegant lines. A MiG-25 is beautiful because of its overwhelmingly large engines and the evident clarity in its purpose and design.

Of all the various and unique aircraft out there, I must admit that nothing ever quite took my breath away as the first time I looked up and saw a B-17 lumbering slowly through the sky. Maybe it was the sound and smell of those radials, or just knowing what the crews went through...I wouldn't call the plane beautiful aesthetically. Still, something about that moment never quite escapes me.

I always thought that the Wildcat/Martlet was cute but nobody would agree with me hehehe :)

That's an outstanding finding. Interesting little piece!

nice model...too bad its not 1/48th scale. I had never heard of that model company before. Good call!

I always thought that the Wildcat/Martlet was cute but nobody would agree with me hehehe :)

Haha, I agree, especially when the stubby wildcat is parked next to its bigger, badder brother, the Hellcat!
oops! sorry, didn't mean for these to be two different posts!

Back