Tarawa's flight deck

I'm comparing Draymans to *landing craft*, not Marine transports. The Marine transports are like large carriers for landing craft... and they carry 2,000 Marines.

On a slightly unrelated note, isn't the Kilrathi Dorkir in WC1 that carries a thousand? I remember someone saying that each one we destroyed was a thousand less kats to fight on the ground...

Dorkathi, and it's referenced again on Wing Commander Academy.

What episode in Academy is the Dorkathi mentioned with 1,000 troops? Is it episode three, with Karnes? Because I vaguely remember a Dorkathi in that one.

And BTW, nice new avatar LOAF. :)

There's a Dorkir in that episode.

The 1,000 troop thing is mentioned in... Word of Honor, I believe.

Since there seems to be some confusion

Marine Carriers are probably similar in concept to the American LHA series (first ship named... drumroll please... Tarawa). www.tarawa.navy.mil Big, nasty, very good at what it does which is carry around lots of angry jarheads until they get a chance to relieve their anger at being cooped up on a tin can with a lot of other angry jarheads. At least in war. During peactime operations they can be used as massive logistical bases (what they're built for) and the heavy helicopter and landing craft complement used to transport supplies to areas where normal communications have been cut off - I think we still have one over in the tsunami area, actually.

The landing craft, on the other hand come in something like this flavor. http://www.ww2modelmaker.com/articlepub/lcm6/LCM6.htm I think the WC craft would have to be bigger but that's a good minimum size for carrying 100 marines, especially if they're loaded down with gear and armor. Keep in mind that the ones going down to the moon of Kilrah probably werent carrying their sleeping bags and mess kits, so the bulk might actually be similar to a modern Marine fully loaded.

For the Dorkathi-Dorkir-Drayman etc. you could probably consider it equivalent to civillian transports pressed into service - most of them aren't that big, but they're still used, and they come in all kinds of sizes.

The Halcyon Dialogue in SM1 does say "one company" per Drayman, which works out to 1-200 per unless TCMC companies are a lot bigger or smaller.

On the other hand...Sleipner must be a rather large convoy if it's carrying an entire division.(10-20,000)

powell99 said:
Thats one hell of a Tarawa Model can I see some Exterior shots

Sure thing, although the outside doesn't have anything new- it's about the same as Standoff's version. I'll take a few pics later if you'd like.

For now, I'm back. And for me this little project is not over. I've gone crazy on the flightdeck control center - wasn't detaled enough for me.
This is the initial stuff, still needs stairs...

And I've done some work on the flag- not eel there :)

Attachments

• deckops.jpg
    deckops.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 278
I'm real impressed with your work thus far. I'm not LOAF - but I wonder if the WCIII symbol is the right one? I thought that was something like the symbol for all the armed forces in Confed. I'm sure LOAF will tell me to shut-up, in any case.

Nice, the detailing on the hangar sides is much better than those columns.
Another thing, it was stated in end run that the Tarawa had a quad barelled gun turret on it's bow, Jason saw it when first approaching the ship. Do you have a turret like that on your model?

LeHah said:
I'm real impressed with your work thus far. I'm not LOAF - but I wonder if the WCIII symbol is the right one? I thought that was something like the symbol for all the armed forces in Confed. I'm sure LOAF will tell me to shut-up, in any case.

Combined Forces logo, IIRC. I for one don't really see why it shouldn't appear on a pendant considering it was in the WCM fleet scene.

these are for powell99.

And I'm also moving along with the control center, but real life things have been slowing me down at lot (namely work). Looking forward to my middle-of-the-week weekend.

Attachments

• Tarawas01.jpg
    Tarawas01.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 300
Lynx said:
Nice, the detailing on the hangar sides is much better than those columns.
Another thing, it was stated in end run that the Tarawa had a quad barelled gun turret on it's bow, Jason saw it when first approaching the ship. Do you have a turret like that on your model?

Until a few moments ago, no.
But if it did, it would probably look something like this

BTW, for the stairs leading up to the control center, in post 72, you may want to make that more vertical, as the navy uses what are more like ladders than stairways for between-level travel, partly to save space and partly naval tradition (which, contrary to Churchill, extends beyond "rum, sodomy, and the lash" :p )

Wow, It's more and more amazing. Congrats again. (BTW, is it proper to say "congratulations" for someone on a job well done? or is it reserved for stuff like getting married or having kids... :p)

LOAF, I get what you meant... But anyway I don't think they would shove draymans inside carriers, would they? Even though it's no LHA, do they land or just ferry the marines?

Concerning the Dorkir/Dorkathi: kats are more fanatical and need less "luxuries", maybe they get pilled up inside their transports in long shelves. who knows. Or maybe angel just wanted to impress blair and the other guy.

re: packing 1000 kilrathi into a Dorkathi: setting upper and lower limits
Dorkathi holds cargo in 3 pods. Eyeballing, they seem to be between 50 and 60 feet long, and between 10 and 15 feet wide. Using the wonderful V=pi*r^2*h formula, this produces an interior volume of between 3925 and 10,597 cubic meters. Subtract 10% from each to account for armor thickness, structural members, and the round bits on the end and we have 3533 and 9537 as our upper and lower figures. With three pods, we have a total of 10,599 and 28,611 cubic feet of usable volume on the lower and upper ends, creating 10.5 and 28.6 as your upper and lower volumes per soldier - both reasonable enough for cold storage or personal pods. Alternately you can eliminate 3 cubic meteres per Kilrathi for personal space and subtract 3000 cubic metres from each number, and you get a total of between 7,600 and 25,000 cubic metres of communal area (kitchen, gear storage, recreation, gym) - more than enough if used in shifts. Therefore, although it seems irrational, it does appear to be possible to pack 1,000 Kilrathi into a Dorkathi.

If someone sees my math going wrong, speak up. Something feels wrong here.

Bob McDob said:
Combined Forces logo, IIRC. I for one don't really see why it shouldn't appear on a pendant considering it was in the WCM fleet scene.

Yeah, thats the term I was looking for. But I don't remember seeing it in the movie at all.

LeHah said:
Yeah, thats the term I was looking for. But I don't remember seeing it in the movie at all.

The logo is seen in Tolwyn's briefing for Captain Sansky. Whether or not it says Combined Forces, I cant remember.

Aside from the gigantic spaces between the steep stairs, I'm begining to feel very satisfied about this flightdeck.

Attachments

• FlightDeck09.jpg
    FlightDeck09.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 431
I like this. I reminds me of the USS Ashland Model for OFP. It was cool. You could walk all round the ship. Hell that Tarawa would be a fun OFP Addon.

Back