Strange Dates in Confed Handbook

Edfilho

Cry some more!
I was reading my brand not-new copy of the movie-based Confed handbook, and I spotted some strange dates. I'm sure LOAF has some explanation for them, though.

on one page they say that the pilgrim war began on 2631 and that the pilgrins surrendered in 2629...

And they say that Tolwyn was a Commodore when the war began... But in AS he is a cadet.

Needless to say that those things confused me a bit

"2629.334" is one of two incorrect dates in the "Student's Encyclopedia" segment... the other is on the same page ("In 2635 a Pilgrim Fleet attacked ... Over the next four years the resulting conflict brought about an end of the Alliance. In 2635..."). Correct dates for the Pilgrim War(s) should be 2631.244 to 2635.049.

I'll need a page reference for the second one. Only reference to Tolwyn as a Commodore that I can find (most of the book calls him an Admiral) is the article about Arnold Blair -- and that's certainly not date specific (you might refer to 'General MacArthur' graduating from West Point). Tolwyn was certainly an Ensign (not a cadet) in 2634 because... well, Action Stations.

Sorry, Ensign, not cadet... I'll check the other page.

Is there any source that gives any date other than 2629 for the Iason incident?

BTW, from the encyclopedia timeline and Victory Streak:
Brazilian Rain Forest
Ascilotriptostolene is discovered in the Brazilian rain forest. The forest is later eliminated.
[Victory Streak]

We should be happy that this didn't happen :D

Is there any source that gives any date other than 2629 for the Iason incident?

Nope -- and the Handbook has a trapdoor in the ship's history -- references how it used to be an explorer and was refitted in 2633 as a fleet support transport.

Edfilho said:
BTW, from the encyclopedia timeline and Victory Streak:
Brazilian Rain Forest
Ascilotriptostolene is discovered in the Brazilian rain forest. The forest is later eliminated.
[Victory Streak]

We should be happy that this didn't happen :D

That's just when the stuff was discovered. The forest elimination can happen any time now.

I have never understand that pilgrim thing, i think is just silly. Always thinked one of the nice thouch in wing commander that you was just a normal pilot. No super Hero....

Fenris Ulven said:
No super Hero....

That's the charm of Grayson "Brownhair" Burrows, not Chris Blair. Blair is the savior of the confederation, the biggest hero of all..

Also, must a discussion of the Confed Handbook turn into yet another discussion of Blair's pilgrim powers?

ChrisReid said:
That's the charm of Grayson "Brownhair" Burrows, not Chris Blair. Blair is the savior of the confederation, the biggest hero of all..

True, but he still makes mistakes, not everybody look upon him as a hero, therefore his more human than some other chaps. A hero is often made by the leaders to increase the moral...

Fenris Ulven said:
True, but he still makes mistakes, not everybody look upon him as a hero, therefore his more human than some other chaps.

So, half the people hate him at first because they think he's a Pilgrim traitor. This shows that he's not just a squeaky clean hot shot generic super hero. So what's the problem?

ChrisReid said:
So, half the people hate him at first because they think he's a Pilgrim traitor. This shows that he's not just a squeaky clean hot shot generic super hero. So what's the problem?

pilgrim was not mentation in wing commander I.II, III or IV as far as i know....

Blair's *name* wasn't mentioned in half of those games, much less his religion (err... the religion of one of his parents).

Nor, for that matter, was the bathroom mentioned in any of the games. Does that automatically mean that there were no toilets?

Lack of proof isn't a proof of lack.

(And on a side-note, is it just me, or does "proof" look kinda silly, as a collection of letters? Maybe it's just not enough sleep and an eye that's bugging the hell out of me...)

Death said:
And on a side-note, is it just me, or does "proof" look kinda silly, as a collection of letters?

You're not alone there dude. I have a similar problem with it. But for me, every time my eyes run over those letters, my brain thinks it the word "proof". "Proof" is the name of a meaty violet meal served on the cruiser Independence in the 'Farlander Story' that came with my X-wing game guide.

Quarto said:
Also, must a discussion of the Confed Handbook turn into yet another discussion of Blair's pilgrim powers?

Sorry if quoting my own post might seem like trolling, but really - must we suffer another rehash of Blair's pilgrim issues? I was actually interested in the original subject - although I do not currently have my copy of the Confed Handbook here, I recall that Admiral Tolwyn's bio (in that 'interview with Tolwyn' piece) talked about him being in command of something during the Pilgrim War. It's a very interesting issue, and I'd rather like to hear the possible explanations about Tolwyn being a high-ranking officer one year, and a cadet the next.

Sorry if quoting my own post might seem like trolling, but really - must we suffer another rehash of Blair's pilgrim issues? I was actually interested in the original subject - although I do not currently have my copy of the Confed Handbook here, I recall that Admiral Tolwyn's bio (in that 'interview with Tolwyn' piece) talked about him being in command of something during the Pilgrim War. It's a very interesting issue, and I'd rather like to hear the possible explanations about Tolwyn being a high-ranking officer one year, and a cadet the next.

The bio talks about Tolwyn commanding one of the warships in the second fleet used to attack the Pilgrims (in 2635). That seems right to me -- he's made commander of a frigate at the end of Action Stations (in 2634).

I have boxed my Handbook, I'm moving to a 2 dorm apartment next saturday... one of which will be my home office :) Then I'll pull it out and check the precise quotes.

But I seem to recall the fact that he was the architect of the victory againste the pilgrins...

Another doubt: in WCA TV he's a commodore in charge of training the next generation of officers... and in the handbook he an admiral and the third most important person in Confed?

Again, I'm not using this stuff to prove anything. I just want to clarify some data in order to better enjoy my new book.

Back