Stay safe, wingnuts

Oh my... Hope you are all still well and healthy
Around here it looks like we have the worst behind us, but its still a long path to business as usual. Probably till autumn. 6th week in homeoffice with my better half and no other in person social contacts for either of us.

Oh my... Hope you are all still well and healthy
Around here it looks like we have the worst behind us, but its still a long path to business as usual. Probably till autumn. 6th week in homeoffice with my better half and no other in person social contacts for either of us.

About my seventh week working from home, but only the first week of offical advised (but not enforced) lockdown.
I can not tell you how not seriously people are taking it. I think things are going to get bad here.

in Japan? I thougth in Asia people are quite disciplined and a rues to face masks an such. Around here (Austria) its okayish. Most people at least give good effort, even if they make many mistakes in execution.

in Japan? I thougth in Asia people are quite disciplined and a rues to face masks an such. Around here (Austria) its okayish. Most people at least give good effort, even if they make many mistakes in execution.

The trouble is there aren’t really any rules. Only a polite request with no repercussions. And with no clear government guidance beyond “social distance more” people are left to decide what is appropriate.
People here will obey a direct instruction, they just haven’t had any.

Example story; my wife is talking to an acquaintance who says she’s worried the university students aren’t taking it seriously enough. “Why is that?” asks my wife. “Whilst I was out with my friend we saw all these students hanging out without masks”
...out with her friend, in what is officially a lockdown, albeit unenforceable.

I stepped out to throw away the garbage, 3 dog walkers stopping to natter.

My wife works at a day care so I had to drop off our own kids at one. One kid tries to high five the twins, her mother is with him but rather than tell him not to she asks us why we are backing away.
When it comes to say goodbye the twins start to cry; the other students comfort them with a hug and pat on the head etc.

It’s all well meaning but with only 200 odd deaths the severity of the situation just hasn’t been appreciated.

Last edited:
Pedro, they showed now on BBC exactly what you mentioned, people goes on like it's normal, only that they are wearings masks.

Pedro, they showed now on BBC exactly what you mentioned, people goes on like it's normal, only that they are wearings masks.

Yeah it's scary. Fortunately they gave my wife the option to stay home (obviously not getting paid) so she took it and we're just bunkering down waiting for it to explode here. So long as we didn't get sick this week we should be ok.

Oh my.. Wish you luck there Pedro. Even if you are safe at home it aint fun. And if it will explode you can easily add 2-3 months at home which starts to get boring fast. Even if you can do work from there as me.

Oh my.. Wish you luck there Pedro. Even if you are safe at home it aint fun. And if it will explode you can easily add 2-3 months at home which starts to get boring fast. Even if you can do work from there as me.

Oddly the curve is flattening. It feels like people are ignoring it from my day to day (my nearby mountain is pretty busy), but it's just people thinking those places should be safe. I'm a bit out of the way, but people have been sharing photos of deserted town centers etc. Still the lockdown is set to be extended.

Update from the NY Metro Area:

Most of the area directly surrounding New York City appears to be doing well, and the city appears to be doing well even when all of the protests from the month are taken into account. My wife has been home since this started (with pay, thankfully), and is going back to work starting on Monday. I have been working for the entirety of this with the exception of the last week of March, when my job shut down for a few days. I am thankful that my wife and I had a dormer constructed on her parent's house, because even though living with one's in-laws can be troublesome, at least our 6 month old son has caretakers at home.

While working on my house after work, I have kept myself sane (mostly) by looking towards creating streaming content via Twitch. Since a lot of my close friends were getting visibly frazzled per their Facebook posts, I thought that streaming an invitation to my living room may help them feel at least a little more at ease. I liken it to a combination of gaming and FDR's famous "Fireside Chats", and if you're interested at all, feel free to log in and enjoy a friendly chat while I make a fool of myself playing video games and listening to barbershop quartets, lol!

Holding it down in Florida, being smarter than our governor but only so much you can fix stupid. The four of us are still healthy for now (knocks on wood). We'll see how things wear on with time and fools about.

Stay safe folks.

Back