Star Trek ship request

eddieb

Vice Admiral
Got the following email:

DEAR EDDIE,

My name is Keith Harvey and I really like your Flight Commander 3-D simulator. Could you please
create the following United Federation of Planets starship and adversary meshes for your Flight Commander ,
plus Star Trek sound files:

Miranda class medium cruiser USS Reliant type

Soyuz class Miranda variant

Constitution Class Original Configuration (2264-69)

Constitution-II refit of 2271

Galaxy class (Star Trek : The Next Generation)

Nebula class Galaxy variant

Sydney class cargo transport

Oberth class science vessel

Excelsior class Extra Heavy Cruiser

Classic Klingon D-7 Cruiser

Klingon Akif class

Klingon K'tinga class

Romulan Winged Defender

Romulan Warbird D'Deridex Class

Klingon L-42 Bird of Prey Scout

Larson class Federation frigate starship

Hermes class scout / Saladin Hermes variant

Ptolemy class tug tender

Borg cube

Dreadnought class MK-10 Excelsior variant (with extra third warp engine on top)

Standard Starfleet Mark 12B Shuttlecraft

Gorn Raider

Klingon K'hann'ah class frigate

Shanks Class Light Cruiser

Peregrine class Miranda variant

Keith:

Thanks for your interest and kind words. Unfortunately, I'm not a 3d artist, so I can't create 3d models for you. However, the Flight Commander game engine is able to use ships in the wavefront .obj file format. So if you can find some models and then convert them to .obj/.mtl files, that's a great way to get new ships into the game engine.

Eddie.

Ships in the Star Trek univsere don't fight that way... Yes, in games they often do, for some reason. But watch the shows and movies.

Star Trek ships are big (compared to fightercraft), turn slowly, but accelerate very well and have more or less all-around firing capability, and near-perfect automated targeting.

Those aren't necessarily good conditions for dogfighting.

Ships in the Star Trek univsere don't fight that way... Yes, in games they often do, for some reason. But watch the shows and movies.

Star Trek ships are big (compared to fightercraft), turn slowly, but accelerate very well and have more or less all-around firing capability, and near-perfect automated targeting.

Those aren't necessarily good conditions for dogfighting.

There was an episode where the Enterprise D was attacked by half a dozen fighter-like little ships. I remember thinking how cool it was that the enterprise litterally targeted and destroyed nearly all of them simultaneously.

I think I've seen every Star Trek episode about thirty times and I don't have half a clue what most of these things are.

"Shanks Class Light Cruiser"?

I think the fighter like ships AD was talking about were "Lysian Sentry Drones" from the TNG episode "Conundrum." The Lysians were 100 years behind the Federation and a single photon torpedo could destroy their main battle station called "Lysian Central Command." Could the Enterprise D really destroy contemporary fighters that fast. If so I don't think I'd want to be a fighter pilot in that universe.

I think the fighter like ships AD was talking about were "Lysian Sentry Drones" from the TNG episode "Conundrum." The Lysians were 100 years behind the Federation and a single photon torpedo could destroy their main battle station called "Lysian Central Command." Could the Enterprise D really destroy contemporary fighters that fast. If so I don't think I'd want to be a fighter pilot in that universe.

Guess why there aren't really any fightercraft in that universe, ;)

Does "shattered universe"(the game) count as Star Trek canon?

No, Star Trek "canon" does not include any games, novels, or stuff like that. Only the series and movies count as canon - and even there are some exceptions, if I'm not mistaken - e.g. whenever TNG contradicts TOS, TNG is "right" as per "Word of God". The Animated Series isn't considered canon either.

Sometimes novelizations of movies or scenes from the original scripts, which have been dropped, are taken into account to get additional information, but strictly speaking even those are not officially canon.

No, Star Trek "canon" does not include any games, novels, or stuff like that. Only the series and movies count as canon - and even there are some exceptions, if I'm not mistaken - e.g. whenever TNG contradicts TOS, TNG is "right" as per "Word of God". The Animated Series isn't considered canon either.

Sometimes novelizations of movies or scenes from the original scripts, which have been dropped, are taken into account to get additional information, but strictly speaking even those are not officially canon.

Appearantly these days TAS is considered "canon", and Enteprise refers to it, with references to the three-legged guys race(there is nothing on the kilrathi comm officer though)

Appearantly these days TAS is considered "canon", and Enteprise refers to it, with references to the three-legged guys race

I'd really like to say to you that "Enterprise" isn't canon, but unfortunately it is. ;)

To answer to this point you made, if Enterprise mentions something from TAS, you could say that particular element or event that is mentioned in Enterprise is "promoted to canon", but the rest of TAS still remains non-canon. This has even happened with the first names of some of the crew members from TOS, which originally weren't established in canon, but later the ones established in novels were mentioned in a movie and *bam* it's canon.

By the way, I believe we have seen a member of that "Kilrathi" race briefly as an extra in the beginning of Star Trek IV, in that court/council scene where the Klingon ambassador demands Kirk to be extradited.

Dear Eddie,

I'd like to create custom replacement Star Trek Federation and opponent starship 3-D meshes for Flight Commander,
but I don't know how to actually go about doing it. Can you please offer some assistance to make it a little easier?

Keith has emailed again.

Heres the steps.

1) Make the model in a 3d graphics program or download a model off the internet
2) Get the model into .obj format
3) Get the .obj file into flight commander.

I can really only help once you've gotten to step 3.

Essentially you either want Wings3D, Google Sketchup (plugin required to export to .obj), and I believe Blender is free.

By the way, I believe we have seen a member of that "Kilrathi" race briefly as an extra in the beginning of Star Trek IV, in that court/council scene where the Klingon ambassador demands Kirk to be extradited.

You were spot-on on this one! The race are called "Caitians", and yes the live action version was in "the voyage home"(hey, I have a good movie to watch this week, thanks!)

Something can be rewritten or backwritten into a "universe", since if there is no mention of it, nobody knows if it did or did not happen, when it does not contradict the established canon. TAS is AFAIK canon these days.

(the writers of smallville or doctor Who have a hard time at their hands though if they do not wish to contradict the events in the series with canon)

that could happen. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. It might even be Lore, for all we know. One thing is for certain, practically anything can happen in the Star Trek universe.

Back