Star Trek Logo Reimagined with Wing Commander Vibes (September 2, 2024)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Starfleet Design recently posted this wonderful Star Trek logo on Twitter. He's done a fantastic job marrying the text with little Starfleet deltas as a tribute to the classic Wing Commander logo. It also makes me think of the way that Wing Commander Arena repurposes the afterburning craft again with its own Rapier fighters.

Many but not all recognised this as a homage to the Wing Commander (1990) logo. It's not a game I know much about, but I do appreciate the classic sci-fi typeface STOP, designed by Aldo Novarese in 1971.

If you're looking for more Wing Commander logos, check out the gorgeous collection that elend made a few year ago. They cover a huge swath of the franchise and are vectorized to scale up as big as you need!

--
Original update published on September 2, 2024

That's about the first time I've seen anybody identify the font used for the WC logo. I always assumed it was just a graphical design without a full typeset behind it. Or probably I'm just lazy.

Really a nice find - and there's some history to it, too: https://www.tipoteca.it/en/evento/memorable-stop/

EDIT: I'm lazy indeed , you guys discussed this 15 years ago. Well, summer is ending, time to go into hibernation again...

Last edited:
Need to see a full WC style intro. The orchestra can do the opening strains, the "in the distant future" replaced by the Star Trek "Space, the final frontier", the enterprise spiraling after some warbirds or battlecruisers, and the music and credits over the asteroids...

Back