Star Citizen slow performance.....?

Youngblood

Rear Admiral
Hi all!!

I am after a little help here... I downloaded Star Citizen about August last year and Arena Commander worked well, however I have just downloaded it again and I cant even get through Training its that slow its unplayable. Is anyone else having issues? Or could it be my hardware? I'm afraid I'm not really in the know here any help would be great thanks!

BTW I'm running an i5 2500k quad core 3.30 overclocked to 3.60, 8gb RAM, ASUS GTX 970 4gb OC edition and Windows 10.

Thanks again.

The training program is actually in drastic need of a bug check pass ever since 2.0 rolled out. Performance drops are rather common right now.

What detail level are you running at?

There has also been some reports of poor pagefile usage by Windows 10 on systems with 8 GB or less. This was a big issue with other high-end games like Arkham Knight and Just Cause 3 having hitching issues with 8 or less. Pushing to a minimum of 12 has fixed that for most folks. Running 16 myself.

Still, would be better off testing in Free Flight and Vanduul Swarm till Training receives another code pass.

Two console commands will also help performance by disabling VSync and Motion Blur:

r_motionblur 0

&

r_vsync 0

Good luck!

EDIT:
SC is still very CPU bound and the 970 isn't really being used proper yet. That 2500k may have some issues going forward till more work is offloaded to the GPU.

Yeah, just forget about playing the tutorial for now. Besides, Crusader is much more interesting.

Yup I agree. Ur hardware should be good enough to play on medium settings for now. When it's done it should be just fine. I took a step away from SC for a while now cuz of all the bugs. I am excited for SQ 42 to come out and I want it to still be exciting when I play it. I reeeeeeally hope it comes out this year like they said it would.

Buggy or not, the baby universe is a blast to play. The current version is surprisingly stable; I haven't had a crash in ages.

Yeah I tried out the baby PU once and thought its really cool. At this point I'm just done testinf and waiting for the finished product. I want the full package now. I can see with the baby pu that this is definitely gonna happen and I'm totally excited.

Thanks! I only seem to have real issues with the training and that's on low detail level.... Problem is I wanted to play through it as I can't remember the controls.... Oh well..

I'm hoping that as time goes by it will run better...

I'm guessing the work will be offloaded to the GPU in the future?
Much of it yes. Not much point right now since the code isn't anywhere close to Beta yet.

Like the old skool Heinz commercial, "Good things come to those who wait."

As to the control map, I remap the way I want and export the file. Your custom mapping file will need a more secure location for backups rather than the USER folder, as it frequently needs to be deleted after major patch releases.

Problem is I wanted to play through it as I can't remember the controls.... Oh well..

Here's a quick pic of the standard control map:
2015-12-14-19_45_42-Greenshot.jpg

So... I just used CPU Z and I noticed the core speed seems high...? Am I reading this right or am I being stupid? I did buy the CPU and motherboard from Overclockers but I thought it was 3.6 its more like 4.6 here.

Attachments

• CPU.PNG
    CPU.PNG
    46.3 KB · Views: 135
That's a nice mobo combo you got there. Your 970 will really get to stretch its legs. SC is likely to support hyperthreading so the i7 is definitely the better buy. Be careful not to get overconfident with that AIO CPU cooler though. You'll want a minimum of 2 - 3 intake fans pushing positive pressure through the case. Your AIO's radiator efficiency will depend on it.

I strongly recommend no less than 140 mm fans for your intake fans. Better airflow, less noise, and best of all, cool parts. Positive pressure will also keep dust cleanings fewer and farther between. Best brands include Noctua, Phanteks and Antecs as the most reliable. Fractal Design has really nice airflow cases featuring 14 cm ports and skips on the cosmetic LEDs in several colors and finishes. Rocking an R4 myself. Just one example so don't take my choices as gospel.

Here is a great intro guide to case cooling: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/128313-extremetechs-guide-to-air-cooling-your-pc

Alright - finally was able to make some upgrades to my board. I still think I'm shy of what I need to play Star Citizen but I figured I'd double-check. Can't find the minimum system requirements this morning; can anybody help me out real quick?

Alright - finally was able to make some upgrades to my board. I still think I'm shy of what I need to play Star Citizen but I figured I'd double-check. Can't find the minimum system requirements this morning; can anybody help me out real quick?

Minimum specs are a bit outdated I think. Give me your system specs and I'll make a prediction for you

Okay...AMD Athlon II 2.9 GHz Dual Core, 4 GB RAM, GeForce GT 620, 500 GB HDD. I'm pretty much just expecting a confirmation of NO, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if that turns out to not be the case.

Okay...AMD Athlon II 2.9 GHz Dual Core, 4 GB RAM, GeForce GT 620, 500 GB HDD. I'm pretty much just expecting a confirmation of NO, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if that turns out to not be the case.
I'd say as a minimum, go quad-core, double the RAM, put the game on a small SSD and throw any extra cash at the GPU; I strongly recommend at least 4GB of VRAM on the GPU card. The release of the 1000 series cards at NVidia has forced a price drop on the 900 series so you might be able to find a good one at a discount.

Don't go for less than a 970 is what I really want to say, if your goal is 60 FPS on Medium.

Alright, I figured as much. Thanks y'all...looks like I'm not headed to the 'verse for at least another year.

Back