Slowdown utility and sound question

Lynx

Spaceman
It's really sad: I can't play all my old games properly on my current machine. Without slowdown utilities, they run too fast and with slowdown tools active they run either still to fast but with jerky hickups or too slow. Is it actually possible to run old games on newer PC's anymore?

And another question: Since my Amiga died some time ago, I got myself the PC versions of games I really liked, but the the midi synthesis of the music in those just makes my ears bleed compared to the beautiful .mod tracks used by the amiga. Is there a Roland or General midi emulator, or another way, to make the music sound better?

I would suggest using DOSBox to solve your problems - most older games should work pretty well on it.

As for the midi, there's a roland emulator around that's open-source, but getting patches for it would be difficult (it needs ROMs from a real sound canvas). Alternatively, there is the Timidity engine, which uses GUS patches...

Lynx said:
...the beautiful .mod tracks used by the Amiga.
I know it probably doesn't help for the game experience itself, but you could probably still play those MODs in Winamp.

CPU killer did work for me to slow my machine down enough. But for Privateer 2, when I'm in space combat the music and sound gets all choppy. And when I'm on the planet, it is even more choppier. Only the cinematics are working great. I'm sure I've ranted this before, however.

Back