Richard Garriott to receive Lifetime Achievement Award

BrynS

Mr Kat says...
Hot on the heels of the Spacetime Studios publishing deal, Richard Garriott is in the news again -- he is due to receive a Lifetime Achievement Award at the 6th Annual Game Developers Choice Awards on March 22, 2006 -- well done, sir!

GDC Press Release said:
Creator of 'Ultima' Series Richard Garriott to Be Celebrated by Peers With a Lifetime Achievement Award During the 6th Annual Game Developers Choice Awards

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. - Mar. 9, 2006 Richard Allen Garriott, executive producer, NCsoft® North America, will be honored with this year's Game Developers Choice Award for Lifetime Achievement. A respected pioneer of the computer gaming world and best known for his monumental game series Ultima, Garriott will be recognized for fueling the presence of Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games (MMORPG) in the mass market. The iconic game maker, known in the industry as Lord British, is credited with being a giant force within the gaming community. Produced and hosted by the Game Developers Conference (GDC) and presented by the International Game Developers Association (IGDA), the 6th annual Game Developers Choice Awards ceremony will take place on Wednesday, March 22 at the San Jose Civic Auditorium.
[...]

The rest of the press release can be viewed here.

Cheers,

BrynS

Firingsquad have been pumping out Games Developers Conference (GDC) features and interviews this year and have just posted an interview with Richard Garriott here.

Richard Garriott Interview Snippet said:
[...]

FiringSquad: Even though you haven't been involved in the Ultima franchise for several years now your name and your "Lord British" persona will likely be linked with that franchise for a long time. Did you ever think that the RPG series would have evolved into one of the most well know game series ever made?

Richard Garriott: No. For the first few Ultimas, I did not expect there to be a sequel, or perhaps even an ongoing industry. After a while, I figured that I could keep doing this for a few years. It was only late in the series that I realized the power Ultima had and Ultima Online really proved that well.

[...]

Cheers,

BrynS

Back