Return to Monkey Island coming 2022

I still haven't played MI4 or Tales.
Nevertheless, one of my alltime favorite series, and I do mean top 5.

Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2 are great games!
I'd be really interested to see what Ron Gilbert comes up with. I can't work out people's hostile attitudes sometimes, it seems to defy all logic.

Just like Karens, some gamers have an over entitiled attitude towards life. and games. That because they're "big" in the gaming community (some streamer, influencer, play lots of games, been playing games since they were in the womb, or spent millions of dollars on fancy stuff that glows with RGB rubbish, whatever) people must listen to them because they know how games need to be made to satisfy *them*. That somehow they are the be-all-end-all of gaming and if they're not happy, the game must be crap.

Couple that with (anti-)social media and these people believe they have a platform to amplify their beliefs

Me personally, I can't wait until it comes out. Though now it makes my ultimate Monkey Island collection set kinda incomplete.

I was more of a Sam & Max / Indiana Jones person so I don't have strong feelings about it, but I don't think that animation style works with that visual style.
I know most people don't like the visual style but I think it totally could have worked with smoother animations.

Just like Karens, some gamers have an over entitiled attitude towards life. and games. That because they're "big" in the gaming community (some streamer, influencer, play lots of games, been playing games since they were in the womb, or spent millions of dollars on fancy stuff that glows with RGB rubbish, whatever) people must listen to them because they know how games need to be made to satisfy *them*. That somehow they are the be-all-end-all of gaming and if they're not happy, the game must be crap.

Couple that with (anti-)social media and these people believe they have a platform to amplify their beliefs

Me personally, I can't wait until it comes out. Though now it makes my ultimate Monkey Island collection set kinda incomplete.

Sadly it's not just "gamers"; they'd be an easy group to avoid! There's this strange new complete lack of ability to read or understand media... this completely nonsensical belief that art isn't a way of saying something but a challenge for the artist to match some specific expectation the consumer has. And of course it's nuts, how could it even work... but you have a zillion stupids raging about how dare the latest Star Wars not be the thing they imaged when they were ten and how dare Monkey Island not be exactly what they assumed Monkey Island would look like. And it's not just so incredibly dumb it's exacty counter to the idea of any of this in the first place. If you want the Monkey Island that's in YOUR head, you have to make it. The whole point of having someone else do it is to see what /they/ have to say.

I know most people don't like the visual style but I think it totally could have worked with smoother animations.

How do you know that?

How do you know that?

Let me rephrase that: most of the people I have observed complaining about the video are focused on the visual style.
I know in that context is more akin to “I’m not overlooking the fact” than “I know something you don’t know”. In this case I’m not overlooking that the discussion has been focused on the visuals but I think the animation has more to do with it.

That said, whilst all change is met by some hostility, the scale of a negative reaction shouldn’t be ignored.
Fanbases can’t articulate their views in a productive manner, they can be toxic, and it’s sad and it’s awful for developers - but I wouldn’t dismiss the reaction as irrelevant.

I somehow fell into the trap of community management for our last game. Luckily (well unluckily for the bank balance) because our games are small and the fan base is equally small we got to engage 1 on 1 with feedback. And some of it initially comes in hot and crazy sounding - but when you drill down there’s usually reason behind the madness.

Last edited:
I think the art style and animation is awful but then again I prefer monkey island 3 in art design to the rest of them to begin with. But I also strongly dislike the ending of Monkey Island 2 with it maybe being all in the imagination of a child

The pre-order bonus is, according to the developer, purely aesthetic and has no impact on the actual game.

Now, if they would work with Valve to get the whole series working on Steam Deck. It's strange because The Secret of Monkey Island supposedly worked on Steam Deck at one point, but it's been broken for a couple of months now.

Available now! $24.99 on Steam
A collection of reviews, metascore currently 88/100

Dammit, I'm too late for International Talk Like a Pirate Day/The Launch of Return to Monkey Island, but...

Back