Request for Assistance

HammerHead

Rear Admiral
I'm trying to model a confed WC1 era carriar, and I came to a little problem - proportion.

The Standoff vertion of the Bengal is portred with twin runways on her bow.
I really like the design but when I attempted to make my carriar with a twin runway I got to a little problem - the Raptor.

This moster is not only 36 meters long, but also 31 meter wide and 17 meter high - which mean that a single landing entry port (on the rear) would have to be 40 meter wide and 20 meters high. a dual lunch ranway would have to be 20 meters high and 60-65 meters wide.

It's younger sibling - the Sabre - might be shorter but is just as wide if not wider.

These measurments simply screw the entire proportion of the ship. it would either have paper thin hull to encase the flight deck or look like a flying water-melon (the japanesse rectencular vertion ;) )

So. what can I do?
How did you guys on Standoff and Wing Commander Saga handled it?
(Or any one else who have done some videos)

PS
I haven't even take into account the deck space needed to house a complement of 12 Raptors and 20+ Hornets (which is not a very small craft by it self) -
(basicly 17500 square meters of deck parking space and additional 2000 for taxing space - a total of almost 20 square KILOMETER of deck space)

I want to make a video of a fly though pass on a busy carriar deck. So, HELP! PLEASE....

I don't know anything about modelling, but AFAIK, things like fighter sizes and proportions have never really been accurate in the WCU. You should probably do what I believe other modellers do: just fiddle with the scaling until it 'looks right'.

They started being proportionate in Prophecy. Before that the sizes were fudged. You can fix the floor space problem by using elevators that recall fighters from lower/upper storage decks.

In Standoff the decks parking ships are not showed. Generally the Capships have a centered hangar along the capship, on few capships you can run into the hangar. As how ChrisRaid said the parcking could have few floors to storage ships.
If you need a proportion on some special CapShip, tell me and I'll look that into the game.

TanGO

Well...
I made a test animation of a Raptor taking of a Begal Carrier...
and it was to large to fit in the fighter bay!
it's top cannons crashed into the bays ceiling....

in short, either I sqeeze the Raptor on it's height axis, or extend the Bengal on the same axis... (or her flight bay)

that's ignoring tha fact that decpite the ships dual runway, the she can lunch only one Raptor a time as it as wide as the runway...

I have got some pictures from WC1...here can you compare the size of the Raptor and the Bengal quite good.

Raptor in hangar
RB.jpg

Landing Raptor
Landing.jpg

Raptor has landed
HL.jpg

Hope the pics help you in finding the right size.

PS: The Bengal lunches her fighters from a tube like system...same as it was used on the TCS Midway.

Lets just say scale it to a good looking style then most people wouldn't notice if its scaled correctly.
If you look at the WC Movie...I know bad movie but Hangar-entrance is quite small so that just 2 Rapiers side by side can pass trough. Maybe you should do the Hangar-entrance on this Claw the same or scale the fighters to that size.

Oh has anyone ever thought about where the Lunchtubes for the fighters is placed? Cause the Claw dosn't lunch its fighters over the runway !

Bandit LOAF said:
The tubes are in the 'wings' of the carrier.

The wings?
as in the green boxy side areas?, or in the nacell looking thing were she has twin turrets on (or rather under...)?

HammerHead said:
Well...
I made a test animation of a Raptor taking of a Begal Carrier...
and it was to large to fit in the fighter bay!
it's top cannons crashed into the bays ceiling....

I want to see the animation! I was thinking about doing a Bengal Hangar model/animation. I'd like to see what you've got.

Maj.Striker said:
I want to see the animation! I was thinking about doing a Bengal Hangar model/animation. I'd like to see what you've got.

I found to un-textured models for bengal and raptor and tosed the around a bit...
It wasn't prety ;)

Back