Rebel Galaxy Outlaw!

mi2.jpg

Rebel Galaxy Outlaws official confirmed

Interesting.

So howard, what does this bode for wings of st nazaire? This one was promising too and I really liked the art style.

howie, the more i see that ogre with POM and PBR the more i wish to see it in BZ98Redux

really, its insane what you guys did, and i cant wait to play it!

Steam takes a huge cut in exchange for publishing, distribution, communication, and other services that it provides. 30% or so. I have no issue with it being an Epic Games exclusive. They won't have to pay licensing fees for UE4 or unity if that's what they're using on top of the fact they will take only 12% of the revenue. Steam will have to lower it's prices to match or we will see an exodus of quality games from steam to epic.

Defiance: PC for sure, PS4/ XB1 very likely. Kevin: GNU/Linux/WebGL? No, I'm afraid not. The last game was released on Linux and didn't sell enough copies to justify the port. :/

I see PS4 and Nintendo Switch have been added as upcoming platforms. Not a developer, but I believe Xbox is generally regarded as more friendly to indie developers than either of those, so that's interesting. Is Xbox still in the works? Lots of CIC Staff and friends with Xboxes (more than with PS4s and maybe even gaming PCs these days) who'd love to play.

I see PS4 and Nintendo Switch have been added as upcoming platforms. Not a developer, but I believe Xbox is generally regarded as more friendly to indie developers than either of those, so that's interesting. Is Xbox still in the works? Lots of CIC Staff and friends with Xboxes (more than with PS4s and maybe even gaming PCs these days) who'd love to play.

Switch is super indie friendly these days. Nintendo totally reversed course this generation and are largely indie dependent.
Also as it’s based on the same tech as the shield all the development tools are nVidias not Nintendo’s this time around - whereas the WiiU was one of the most unpleasant development environments, the switch may be my favorite in history.

The XBoxOne is of course basically a PC; you can use a lot of the same system level code so I'm guessing it's to do with sales numbers rather than difficulty of development; the Switch looks set to overtake it shortly.

Howard your style shines a bit through I think. Looking at the screenshots I thought "That looks familiar". Now I know why ^_^

Also this seams to be what I was hopeing for StarCitizen to be when it was originaly pitched. I will keep an eye out for it. I am a bit sad that it will be Epic exclusive for the time beeing but might pick it up when its not exclusive anymore and buy it then in the epic store.

Howard your style shines a bit through I think. Looking at the screenshots I thought "That looks familiar". Now I know why ^_^

Also this seams to be what I was hopeing for StarCitizen to be when it was originaly pitched. I will keep an eye out for it. I am a bit sad that it will be Epic exclusive for the time beeing but might pick it up when its not exclusive anymore and buy it then in the epic store.

The exclusivity for this title and others is happening because of the ridiculous cut steam takes. If you want to support developers the epic store is a great place to do it.
It’s not like the console wars (which by themselves didn’t make a lot of sense for fans to get invested in), it’s just a store taking a fair percentage which ulitimately puts the product on the same system. Besides, at that price I’d say the cut is getting passed onto you as an end user.

Last edited:
As I said, I will buy at the Epic store or whoever gives the dev the biggest share in a year, when its not exclusive anymore.
I just think that exclusive titles are a bad practice that needs to be stopped. Have a fair competition where stores try to provide the best service they can and the quality of that determins who gets the most costumers.

For that reason I have started to switch over to GOG. From what I heard they are more open to the devs, said they would also give a better share of the profits and its DRM free. I like that so I will buy there if its avaible in both stores.

That is for me a good example of how competition should work. You have two stores that offer the same product but different services around that and the one that fits best to you is the one where you buy.
Exclusive titles stop that from happening and that is why I have a list of titles that won't be bought until next year at the store that is the best then.

As I said, I will buy at the Epic store or whoever gives the dev the biggest share in a year, when its not exclusive anymore.
I just think that exclusive titles are a bad practice that needs to be stopped. Have a fair competition where stores try to provide the best service they can and the quality of that determins who gets the most costumers.

For that reason I have started to switch over to GOG. From what I heard they are more open to the devs, said they would also give a better share of the profits and its DRM free. I like that so I will buy there if its avaible in both stores.

That is for me a good example of how competition should work. You have two stores that offer the same product but different services around that and the one that fits best to you is the one where you buy.
Exclusive titles stop that from happening and that is why I have a list of titles that won't be bought until next year at the store that is the best then.

But those stores are competing on two fronts, the service to the end user and to the developer.
The majority of people don’t look into the ethics behind any of their purchases (would that they did, but time and time again the numbers show that they don’t), they just go for the cheapest option. Without making these titles exclusive no one has any motivation to make the switch; most people will use the option they already have installed (steam), and the developers cut will be smaller for the same amount of work.

Forcing developers to use a store which provides them a bad deal is destroying competition.

Last edited:

That seems like exactly what happened here. The developers looked at all the different possible storefronts and decided the Epic is the best for them. :)

Back