Radio Silence, when have you ever used it?

Twister

Spaceman
well, in all my years as a wingnut, (and i do have all the games) i have never ever orderd Radiosilence, and yet it is included in all the games (minus Priv i think).

well anyway i was just wondering if any of you ever use it, and if so, when?

Originally posted by Twister
well, in all my years as a wingnut, (and i do have all the games) i have never ever orderd Radiosilence, and yet it is included in all the games (minus Priv i think).

well anyway i was just wondering if any of you ever use it, and if so, when?

Never used it myself, either...I guess it's just a way of getting your really annoying wingmen to shut up (like Maniac :))

I have used it in the past, mainly in WC1 when a wingman will not shut up about how damaged they are.

Fenris; here's a powertip for ya; SEND THEM HOME!
no only will you be happier later in the game, it also keeps the story intact.

Not having to tell my wingmen to break and attack at every nav point was a nice change in Prophecy. Seems everything but the taunt is become really unnecesary. Well except attack my target.

The 'break and attack' selection was actually rather useful in situations where you have one or two enemies. You don't need your wingman at all. It could have been used effectively if they had created some missions where holding back would gain you something. For example if you attempted to talk with the enemy or if you were to trail your opponents and your wingman wished to engage.

TC

That does make sense. It was just an odd change, everyone automatically breaking and attacking. I guess Im just not accoustomed to not being in charge of everyone :)

Well, technically "Break and Attack" translates to "go find yourself a target, I don't care which one", as opposed to attacking a specific target, guarding the wing-leader, avoiding combat etc.

In WC1 to 4, you are always the Wing Leader (Even in WC1, they they place you in charge of Spirits wing for 'experience'). As such, it was YOUR responsibility to complete the mission objectives, and your wingmans job to assist you, whether that be by destroying particular targets, defending you etc. It was your job as Wingleader to decide the role you wanted your wingman to play. Some wingmen, (think Maniac) would not follow those orders particularly well.

I guess in WCP you may technically be the wing leader - they just don't respect you :D.

Being the lowest ranking pilot on the ship (along with Maestro) would seem to make that unlikely but IIRC didnt Stiletto recommend Casey be given some responsibilities early on in the game?

Originally posted by Twister

Yep, everything but Priv/RF.

As for ordering radio silence, I have a low tolerance for people running their mouth in general, and some phrases in particular (like Primate's "I'm attacking" message from WC4) tend to grate on my nerves rather quickly.

Yeah, well... a couple of well placed shots and he shuts up in a much more satisfying way.

TC

It has been a long time but I think to remember that when you fly an undercover mission in the captured Dralthi with Jazz (in SM2) and you do not tell him to keep radio silence then at some nav points the Kilrathi attack you where they would not have done it when Jazz would have shut up. But again it has been a long time some perhaps it is a false memory...

Hi,

The only times I used the radio silence command was to shut the Maniac or Maestro up.

However everyone except these two actually seemed to obey the order.

Cheers

Mekt, it sounds familiar, yet I think the Kilrathi were already onto you by now in thats stage of the game.

I can think of only one practical use for the "maintain silence" order.
In WC3`s final mission while on route to Kilrah, you`ve got 3 wingmates. Everytime you hit a nav point all 3 start yapping about enemies inbound, which takes almost 10 full seconds until you can order them to break and attack.
If they maintain silence, you can order them immediately to do whatever you want (sometimes, delaying their deaths).

Back