Question about news on frontpage.

Knight

Spaceman
And I quote:
The second is that 'recent hit' Freespace II has sold a grand total of 5 copies.

Ok, that brings about a few questions. If DFS2 only sold 5 copies, why does the FS board come up with a shit load (over 50k last time I was there) of posts. And what about those few hundred registered users? I'm not trying to support the competition here, but I think if you're going to post news, leave the cheap shots out. DFS was a good game, as was 2. Just because WC was better doesn't mean pot-shots are allowed. I posted this instead of emailing so that everyone can give their opinions of it.

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Administrator: UBW 5th Fleet
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
I might be right, I might be wrong, but then again, I just might not care either. Got a problem with that?--Me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Knight said:
DFS was a good game, as was 2. Just because WC was better doesn't mean pot-shots are allowed. I posted this instead of emailing so that everyone can give their opinions of it.

It's not a pot shot at anything.
smile.gif
Just a little joke about how many copies FS2 sold. It sold about 26 thousand copies acording to PC Data, and they track about 53% of US sells (they used to track 80%, but it changed, or at least so I heard). So if the sales in 50% of US are 26,000, than the total amount of copies it probably sold is aroudn 90,000-100,000 copies world wide, and that is a small amount.

Stop taking things so seriously Knight.
smile.gif

Ok, as a follow up on that to check my numbers, they have over 75k in posts and almost 8k in threads, spread over a 6 forum board. With over 3k in registered users. Seems pretty good for a game that's been around only a few years, comparing to a game that's been around for 10 years now, is it? Like I said, I'm not saying WC sucks and that FS rules, but just don't take the cheap shots when you can't back it up with real facts.

------------------
I might be right, I might be wrong, but then again, I just might not care either. Got a problem with that?--Me.

Stop taking things so seriously Knight.
smile.gif
[/B]

That line isn't worth the effort it took to type it. What are you thinking? Me not take things seriously?
smile.gif

Knight said:
Ok, as a follow up on that to check my numbers, they have over 75k in posts and almost 8k in threads, spread over a 6 forum board. With over 3k in registered users. Seems pretty good for a game that's been around only a few years, comparing to a game that's been around for 10 years now, is it?

There's so many things wrong with that comment.
smile.gif

First, the FS2 board has been aroudn more than this board... Also, the FS games tend to appeal to more people since there are no new WC games coming out now, and a lot of general public cares mostly for the eye candy... I mean, I encountered people there that wouldn't play FS1 any more (even though they didn't even finish it yet) just because they can't play it in resolutions as high as FS2!
smile.gif
Also, the tech support forum there has much more posts, and that doesen't represent the quality of their games that well.
smile.gif
FS also has MP, and the mission editor. There's a hell of a lot of posts in the SquadWar board that are discusions on battles they had. A lot of posts in the General board are like this: "Where are you from?" "Where did you get you're callsign?", the Tell a Story thread on that board had over a 1,000 posts by itself. The point is that there are a lot of stupid, mindless posts on that board. Something that probably could be allowed here, if the CIC had a larger bandwitch. And on the final note, only three of those forums are fuly FS related: General BB, SquadWar, and Fred. The others are Tech Support that isn't for FS only, there's one for a new game they're making, and one Volition BB.

Like I said, I'm not saying WC sucks and that FS rules, but just don't take the cheap shots when you can't back it up with real facts.
But it was just a small joke not directed at the quality of the game or anything like that. The game has sold very little copies, and that's a fact.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited April 16, 2000).]

Okay, first of all, EW is right about the 25K number. Second, the amount of posts on a bulletin board in no way reflects the number of people who bought the game. Just look at BC3K.

but just don't take the cheap shots when you can't back it up with real facts.

Third, PC Data's figures (although incomplete) *are* real facts that say something about the number of copies a game sold. A big bunch of posts however, isn't.

[This message has been edited by KrisV (edited April 16, 2000).]

I'm not saying jokes like that aren't funny, but they have no business in a major source of news. And EW, of course it's been around longer, since, technically, this board has only been here since Jan. What does the amount of tech support posts have to do with anything? Tech support isn't bug support, its there for those who can't get sound, or can't get their video card to run it. And you say I assume too much. Kris, I don't care what the figures say. Just don't be one of those biased fags who insist that there is only one space sim out there, and that all other suck. And that's what I take from that comment.

------------------

I was criticizing Sharky Extreme's piss-poor article. "Recent hit"? SE is supposed to be major source of news, you'd think they'd check their facts. I'm neither a fag, biased or saying that WC is the one true game. You're reading too much into it.

Knight said:
What does the amount of tech support posts have to do with anything? Tech support isn't bug support, its there for those who can't get sound, or can't get their video card to run it.
Perhaps you've never seen any posts in that board. A lot of posts are about getting the game to run at a resonable speed because many times FS2 runs slwoly on even the best comps.
Kris, I don't care what the figures say.
But you did say you wanted a fact... I told you about the sales figures of FS2.
Just don't be one of those biased fags who insist that there is only one space sim out there, and that all other suck.

No one is saying anything like that though.

And that's what I take from that comment.

Why? The review said that FS2 was a success. Wether they think if it was the greatest space sim ever made doesen't matter, the fact is that it sold very poorly. SL will sell much better because of all the hype from DA. And it'll definetly sell good enough for them to make an add-on.

If you don't like how we present information at the CIC, you're very welcome to go to the other WC news sites to get your info instead.

Speaking of DFS2 sales figures, scratch my country out of it. Quite a number of copies, or entire batches came damaged out of the box here. I tried to buy the thing three times, but the three times the second CD came with a physical (sp?) flaw that my drive didn't like. It was pretty much luck if you got that CD to work (the flaw was in the middle of the intro animation).
Not to talk about that known bug of the game not recognizing it's own discs. There's a lot of people here that wouldn't know that you'd have to download a patch to be able to play.

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

"...we follow the sun, we follow the sun, we follow the sun..."

Nope. It happened on Win98 and Win98SE.

But now I've already exchanged FS2 for another game. 'Cause of that damaged disc.

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

"...we follow the sun, we follow the sun, we follow the sun..."

[This message has been edited by klaus (edited April 16, 2000).]

Back