Progress Update

It's also worth noting that the TCS Kipling isn't some invention on the part of Pioneer -- it was the first Bengal-class ship which entered service after the Tiger's Claw (it's also technically one of the first ships ever named in Wing Commander's continuity, along with the Iason, Rathtak and Tiger's Claw.)

Got a question on a few of the models....I know the Bengal is like one texture but what about some of the others and what kind of program are you using, and or how much time are you putting into doing 1 model like lets say how long did it take the Bengal to get where it is today? Did you use a previous templete and go from there? or straight original just using some pictures?

Unregistered: You should log in or sign up. Helps to put a name with a comment. Anyhow, I'm glad you like it. As for going with Yamato, or Excelsior - I'm afraid those names sound a bit too "Star Trek" for me...
Loaf: The only reason I wasn't leaning towards the Kipling is because I had no idea of it's history. I knew it was the second launched Bengal, but I didn't know if we had any other specifics.
Jason: So, technically, the Bengal is one UV layout, but it uses 5 textures. This is the same for all the ships in pioneer so far - They're all laid out as a single UV setup, but use multiple textures. I've mentioned elsewhere the specifics of what each of those textures do, so I won't go over that here. I'm using 3dsMax9, 32 Bit. I believe the project started using MAX5, but I've since upgraded. As for the time spent, the Bengal took about 3 days of spare time to model, and about 5-6 days of spare time to texture. That's mainly because it's a hugely complex shape, and I had a lot of references to integrate. The Bengal was made from scratch, just using the references available from WCNews. The Ralari, by contrast, took only about 2 days to re-model, and about 3 days to texture. I did have a template to start from on that - someone else had previously modeled it, and it just needed sprucing up. Again, this is all free time after I get home from work, maybe 5 hours a night tops, probably averaging less than 4.

I struggle to imagine a universe in which the author of 'The White Man's Burden' could be considered politically correct.

A universe where the Civil Rights Movement is considered medieval history, something that happened seven hundred years ago? We don't get nearly as emotional about 14th century events these days as we do about more recent stuff, so I figure that racial tensions between human groups will be lower after another six hundred years from now--especially when hatred is directed outward at non-humans like the Kilrathi.

nothing to do with this

so this has nothing to do with this thread, and i apologize, as i'm sure it violates posting rules or something, and this will be the only time i do this, but i know some of the people who worked on the WC2 mod for galactic civilizations have written here, if any of you are in any way interested in finishing that, or can be made to become reinterested in it, please contact me.

cousarmy0001@yahoo.com

A universe where the Civil Rights Movement is considered medieval history, something that happened seven hundred years ago?

The only context we have for that subdiscussion is today. Assuming the original poster was trying to position his comment in the 2650s makes it even stranger.

so this has nothing to do with this thread, and i apologize, as i'm sure it violates posting rules or something, and this will be the only time i do this, but i know some of the people who worked on the WC2 mod for galactic civilizations have written here

If you think something violates the rules, you probably shouldn't do it. The main guy who was working on it is currently banned and probably not checking back here much. You probably need to try to contact him directly. He was a little odd about the project from the start though, so you might be better off starting fresh.

cousarmy0001: A better question is why you chose to post that in here....of all places.

As for the name of the ship - I'm perfectly willing to go with the Kipling. The only reason I was hesitant to do so initially is because I simply didn't know what its history was. I knew it was the second Bengal commissioned, but nothing else. So as long as there are no conflicts mainly that this particular carrier would be in the general area of the Landreich in 2652+, then Kipling it is.

cousarmy0001: A better question is why you chose to post that in here....of all places.

The answer to that querry is contained in my message, that some of the people who worked on that have posted here. Most specifically, Marc's most recent post was here. Hence my decision to do it here.

A universe where the Civil Rights Movement is considered medieval history, something that happened seven hundred years ago? We don't get nearly as emotional about 14th century events these days as we do about more recent stuff, so I figure that racial tensions between human groups will be lower after another six hundred years from now--especially when hatred is directed outward at non-humans like the Kilrathi.

That's not the issue, though - the original poster was claiming that the name was bad because it was 'politically correct' in some negative sense (ie, artificially cleaned up or somesuch) and not that it was practically inoffensive.

As for the name of the ship - I'm perfectly willing to go with the Kipling. The only reason I was hesitant to do so initially is because I simply didn't know what its history was. I knew it was the second Bengal commissioned, but nothing else. So as long as there are no conflicts mainly that this particular carrier would be in the general area of the Landreich in 2652+, then Kipling it is.

Not the second Bengal comissioned, but the first one after the Tiger's Claw -- and the one most like her. I'm certainly not insisting that it's the best thing to name her, though... it's just one of several known options (and nearly unlimited total options, since you can just make up a new name, too.)

So apparently I know nothing at all. Big surprise there. I like the Kipling name, but it's all up in the air for now, so that's fine - we'll finalize it when we get to actually constructing the missions.

That's not the issue, though - the original poster was claiming that the name was bad because it was 'politically correct' in some negative sense (ie, artificially cleaned up or somesuch) and not that it was practically inoffensive.

Sorry, I thought that he was saying that the name Kipling was (or should be considered) offensive because of the "white man's burden" and other writings of Rudyard Kipling, and I was countering that just because we may find it offensive here and now does not mean that people 650 years from now would think the same--or that 1940s people (the era from which the Kilrathi War analogues are drawn) considered Kipling offensive either.

Back