Privateer Predicament...

Dralthi5

Spaceman
Wow. My phone lines've been down for over a week and I finally finished reading most of the new posts. Anyway...

After having it for nearly a year, I've finally got around to seriously playing Privateer. But, I've run into a little problem.

Well, I've gotten the alien artifact from Sandoval and returned to New Detroit to find him dead and this bitch Tayla wants me to do some business with her. Okay. So I agree to deliver some crap to Oakham in Pentonville, but when I get there with the cargo, she tells me that I've screwed up. What the hell? How do I actually complete the mission and the ones after it?

Another thing. When I take on a mission from the mission computer, I never seem to get paid. Is there a reason for that?

Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Well, a few things. First you can check the menu inflight to see if you completed the mission. Also, if you land after you pick up cargo but before you deliver it, the mission is lost. You might want to check again and make sure you didn't get paid, I have never heard of that. How did you get money then, if the mission computer never paid you?

P.S. Tayla is a bitch. Get used to it.

[This message has been edited by Hobbie (edited August 31, 2000).]

I was only able to complete that mission if I made friends with every pirtate I encountered in the way.

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our neck before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth..." - Kahlil Gibran

Member of the LMG(Centaurian)

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like you've got invulnerability or infinite ammo switched on. The game lets you cheat, but it won't let you actually get anywhere if you're cheating, y'know
smile.gif

No, I did not know that.

Anyway, so let me get this straight. If you have invulnerablity on, you're stuck?
rolleyes.gif

------------------

Dralthi5 said:
No, I did not know that.

Anyway, so let me get this straight. If you have invulnerablity on, you're stuck?
rolleyes.gif

Quite frankly, if you need invulnerability on to finish the game, you suck.
tongue.gif
The game is not impossibly hard...

Besides, what's the actual challenge in cheating your way through the game like a wuss?

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

No need to get like that. I just think if they put the option up there, why make it useless?

------------------

Because they would rather have you play the game the way they intended it?

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

Makes sense, I think
wink2.gif

Dralthi5, the invul option is in there so that you can go out and have some target practice every once in a while, without worrying about damage. Now, where would be the sense of achievement, if you just breezed through the game with cheats? Why would you bother trying to earn money, when your ship is already invulnerable? And why would you be worried about the Steltek drone chasing you fr... oops, I think I said too much already
biggrin.gif
. Just switch off the cheats and get back to the game.

The Invul is there I believe if you have no missions and need to travel to another part of the sector that is far off and you don't want to fight or deal with asteriods. Thats what I used it for a few times.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

As far as I can remember, you don`t get paid for regular missions either, if you use the invul option, so it`s pretty much useless in all aspects. If you do find the game too hard without cheats, I suggest you try the Preasy program in the files section. It lets you decide, pretty much, how hard you want the game to be, by allowing you to change all kinds of parameters in the game. If I`m not mistaken, this program was made by Origin for people who find the game too hard.

Mad Hatter: That's what I just said. The only time I ever used it was if I had no missions and wanted to get to another far-off part of the sector (ususually to get to the next plot point). I didn't have to waste time fighting ships and asteriods. Once there, flick it off and you can get back to the story. But yeah, it is totally useless if you want to get paid or advance in the story any. If you read the manual, it says as much. Why doesn't anyone ever read the manual?

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

Mine doesn't have a manual.
wink2.gif

If I had joystick or even mouse control, I wouldn't worry about it. But flying with the keyboard isn't the easiest thing in the world.

------------------

I agree, I can get thru the game without cheating, but I hate fighting in Privateer's asteroids. I also like using invul through the Kilrathi system. Heh, heh, all those dead Kitties.

Wedge009 said:
I agree, I can get thru the game without cheating, but I hate fighting in Privateer's asteroids. I also like using invul through the Kilrathi system. Heh, heh, all those dead Kitties.

Then don't fight in the rocks. In neither Privateer nor its add-on Righteous fire is a rumble in the rocks absolutely required.

For the missions where you're engaged in an asteroid field, just run till you're clear of the rocks, weaving about to keep them from drawing a bead on you (if you move up/down or left/right fast enough, the engine can't draw the rocks fast enough to hit you). The enemies are more than happy to oblige you, and follow you out of the field (or try to... they don't try to maneuver very much when giving chase).

------------------
SubCrid Death

Run? I never run from a fight!

Seriously, I think that invulnerability and unlimited ammo were included to add a bit of fun to the game. You don't always have to be following the plot, you know. I like it because you can finally shoot down Confederation ships and still get somewhere in the game, unlike some other Wing Commander games.

------------------
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

[This message has been edited by WildWeasel (edited October 20, 2000).]

WildWeasel said:
Run?!? I never run from a fight!

There's a difference between running away out of cowardice and going for a more advantageous position from which to engage.

When all is said and done it doesn't matter who was "braver" during a fight. What matters is who walks away from it, and who doesn't. The winners write the history, after all.

------------------
SubCrid Death

The Winners writing history? Nah... ... ...
wink2.gif

Invulnerability and Unlimited Ammo is an interesting option if you want to have some 'safe' combat. Especially when you could be horribly out-gunned and out-numbered
smile.gif

"You get more with a wise word and a 2"-4" than you do with just a wise word."

Back