Privateer Day: 3D, No Glasses Needed (June 3, 2011)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Want to get a REALLY close look at the world of Privateer? You can, if you have a 3D rendering tool! Click here to download a massive archive of 3D models used in the production of the game--ships, weapons, environments, it's all there... and incredibly detailed. Every 3D model was created with high resolution graphics and then reduced to a small bitmap for the game itself.

--
Original update published on June 3, 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now i'm trying to think of things i wouldn't give for the WC3 and 4 cutscene/manual/promo meshes. Not much so far.

You and me both, brother.

Actually, we have recovered some backup tapes that may contain the WC4 and Prophecy archives... but have had absolutely no luck reading them.

It seems like at least some items from Super Wing Commander and Strike Commander are mixed in.

DB-BPIC.CEL can be found in the bar over Miggs' left shoulder:

miggs.png

While AMAP.CEL can be found over Admiral Terrell's left shoulder:
terrell.png

(screenshots taken from http://wedge009.net/wc/privateer/)

I'm not sure where FRAME-P.CEL is from.

Are 3d objects from Armada available as well? I'm so looking for the Jrathek, and I think the Gladius DID look different from the Privateer one..
Did Strike Commander then use the same game engine as Privateer? I wouldn't be surprised, since both were just a short time apart. But it's interesting to see such different results. Are those 3d objects recovered, too?

Are 3d objects from Armada available as well? I'm so looking for the Jrathek, and I think the Gladius DID look different from the Privateer one..
Did Strike Commander then use the same game engine as Privateer? I wouldn't be surprised, since both were just a short time apart. But it's interesting to see such different results. Are those 3d objects recovered, too?

I have not seen any high resolution Armada models.

Strike Commander and Privateer used very different engines. Privateer used the same 2D sprite engine as Wing Commander and Wing Commander II. Strike Commander used an actual 3D engine called RealSpace, which was later used by Pacific Strike, Armada, Wings of Glory, Wing Commander III and Wing Commander IV.

Privateer was initially slated to use RealSpace, but development of the engine lagged behind and they opted to switch to the older engine instead of delaying the game (or cancelling it, as happened with other planned RealSpace games like Phoenix Force.)

So Armada shares the engine with Strike Commander? Strange, I would Armada have expected to use the older engine (compared to Privateer).
Ok, I just read that Privateer should have used the same engine as Strike Commander, but didn't. Luckily, because I had to buy a new PC for Strike Commander these days and couldn't have afforded it when Privateer came out.
I think I need to play Strike Commander again. Unfortunately I can't get my old joystick to work in DOSbox and mouse doesn't really work for SC.

So did they do this with the earlier games as well, build high res 3D models and convert to sprites?

Hi, I'm new here, I was wondering if anyone can help me access the .CEL texture file, I'm hoping to convert something more common by today standard, like .jpg or .tga
But I hear this is a strange format, part of an older 3D program and isn't actually a texture file >_< Can anyone here access them or convert them?

Hi, I'm new here, I was wondering if anyone can help me access the .CEL texture file, I'm hoping to convert something more common by today standard, like .jpg or .tga
But I hear this is a strange format, part of an older 3D program and isn't actually a texture file >_< Can anyone here access them or convert them?

I also have troubles opening this. Someone must have found a way, but I'm not sure. Thing is, it's apparently the "Lumena CEL bitmap image format".
Here is a program that claims to be able to convert that format:
http://www.xnview.com/de/xnconvert/

Trying it right now :)

So did they do this with the earlier games as well, build high res 3D models and convert to sprites?

Yes they did! The original set of Wing Commander ships were done by an outside contractor working with a 3D package on an Amiga. Starting with Wing Commander II, they were developed in-house at Origin.

Yes they did! The original set of Wing Commander ships were done by an outside contractor working with a 3D package on an Amiga. Starting with Wing Commander II, they were developed in-house at Origin.

I don't suppose you've had any luck tracking down those high res models used for the cinematics in WC3 and 4?

Back