Privateer: beating the green alien pod

isaac

Spaceman
I recently bought Privateer, (Classic CD) and
tried to use PREASY routine at a point where I encounter the green alient pod, but couldn't.

The CD version doesn't have OBJECTS.TRE
that is required.

Does anyone have any workarounds for this,
or knows where I can get Privateer on floppies (perhaps an older, or initial release?)

Please email me (isaac@e-iz.com)

Thanks in advance,
Isaac

Hey, thanks for your reply!

No virus, no scratched CD... its a 'classic' version. Until this time I always thought that
'classic' implies lack of printed manuals, but those are in PDF format on the CD (which
is OK)....

the issue is that PREASY claims it needs OBJECTS.TRE, but this file is nowhere
on the CD and is no where in the installed
directory on the hard disk..
frown.gif

I figure I need some help here. I have
Steltek Gun type I but can't even damage
the green pod by any bit... it keeps appearing
out of nowhere and I have to escape it every time by maneuvering around it, or scaring it off with FF rockets.... Most certainly
I feel I lost my way around the game. I've discovered Delta Prime and got the green gun from the Derelict fighter, but don't know what do next... have looked at some walkthroughs to no avail... so I figured I'd
use PREDIT to kill the green thing, but
that's really cheating and I don't wanna do that as that steals from the fun and pride of doing things by yourself...

Help ? ;-)

thanks much
Isaac

isaac@e-iz.com

Last edited by a moderator:
After you get the green gun you have to go to any of the refineries (or was that some other station?) and you'll meat an assistant from some Confed Admiral. She'll tell you to meet that Admiral on Perry. When you talk to him, he'll ask you to help him take out the drone. He'll tell you to go to a certain system, and there you'll meet a small Confed fleet that will help you defeat the drone. On your way you'll meat a Steltek fighter, and you'll have to have a small conversation with it. Anyhow, when you get to the system, you'll have to wait a little untill the drone jumps in. I'll recomend that you'll get away from that Confed fleet since it will be of no help, and will only shoot at you when you get in their way. Than finish of the drone with your Steltek gun.

You can't kill the drone before you talk to that Admiral.

There is no Objects.tre in Priv. The only .tre files are Priv.tre and RF.tre (that last being used for Righteous Fire).

Stinger said:
There is no Objects.tre in Priv. The only .tre files are Priv.tre and RF.tre (that last being used for Righteous Fire).

Well, according to PREDIT documentation,
there _is_ OBJECTS.TRE in Privateer.
Since I couldn't find it in my version (CD Classic), I am assuming it is present
in the original, floppy-based, distribution
and that the CD Classic is a re-compile
with modifications (one of which is
removal of OBJECTS.TRE).

Am I wrong ? I was looking to get a floppy-based version but no one is selling
it anywhere anymore. ... :-(

Thanks for the tip though
wink.gif

isaac

Quarto said:
It's any mining base, actually (except for Rygannon).

Wow, thanks for your replies guys/gals(?)!

Any mining base ?
Weird... I feel I've been flying like
an energetic bug in a can, landing
on almost anything landable (while encountering the alient pod now and then).

THe other curiousity that comes to mind
is the discovery of StelTek Gun of type 2!
(I discovered it while utilizing PREDIT)...

The Delta Prime site gave me Type 1 (that
was on a derelict fighter).... (Based
on your reply, the live conversation
I will have with another Derelict fighter
leads me to believe I will get type 2 gun
from it).

Yes? No? I'm about to find out....
But, as you all know, TYpe 1 gun doesn't
even put a scratch on alien's shields (and
hence my dilemma: nowhere to go, and
no way to kill the alien)... I'll go back
and try to specificaly land on a mining base
and go into a bar).

Isaac

Thanks for the tip!

Isaac

Earthworm said:
After you get the green gun you have to go to any of the refineries (or was that some other station?) and you'll meat an assistant from some Confed Admiral. She'll tell you to meet that Admiral on Perry. When you talk to him, he'll ask you to help him take out the drone. He'll tell you to go to a certain system, and there you'll meet a small Confed fleet that will help you defeat the drone. On your way you'll meat a Steltek fighter, and you'll have to have a small conversation with it. Anyhow, when you get to the system, you'll have to wait a little untill the drone jumps in. I'll recomend that you'll get away from that Confed fleet since it will be of no help, and will only shoot at you when you get in their way. Than finish of the drone with your Steltek gun.

Wow, so I followed the story plot, met the Alien Droid , exchanged weapons and killed
the greeny Alien vessel... so what's left ?

Is the player left to "their own devices" and fly missions now
that the main plot is complete ?

I saw Delta Prime being sucked away by the Alien Droid, so
one thing I've left to do is verify what's left in its place
on that part of the map... any other interesting hints out there ?
smile.gif

Thx!
isaac

Ok... first things first, do NOT try to verify whether the derelict base really is gone. I've already done that. Believe me, it is gone. And since it's not there, you do not have enough fuel to jump back into any inhabited system
smile.gif

Anyway, basically... yes. You are left to your own devices. Fly around, perform random acts of violence, that sort of thing. Oh, and you can also earn money
smile.gif
. BTW, if you try to visit Adm. Terrel again (that is, for the second time after the death of the drone), he'll tell you who made Privateer... if you really want to know.

Once you get bored with earning money, switch to Righteous Fire.

Ps: Don't get too attached to the Steltek Gun
smile.gif

Ok, thanks for the tips... i wonder
if anyone has ever traversed all of
places in 4 quadrants...

and yea, the steltek type 2 gun almost
feels like Doom's BFG9000 ;-) ;-) ;-)

thanks for the tips, all... I am glad I joined this BBS ;>

All the places? I'm sure somebody out there has done that, but it's fairly pointless. I did, however, visit all the places in the Kilrathi systems... the Felines are always fun
smile.gif

Yeah, I also "combed" the whole Gemini sector. Besides the planets and bases you go in th plot, there's no different place, except those wimpy hidden pirate bases.

I did the same thing in P2 and I kept bumping on those damn pirate bases... Couldn't even destroy them...

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

"...we follow the sun, we follow the sun, we follow the sun..."

[This message has been edited by klaus (edited April 02, 2000).]

klaus said:
Yeah, I also "combed" the whole Gemini sector. Besides the planets and bases you go in th plot, there's no different place, except those wimpy hidden pirate bases.

I did the same thing in P2 and I kept bumping on those damn pirate bases... Couldn't even destroy them...

Why does it seem that my Green gun has no effect on the alien ship even after I met with the Admiral?

It will be charged up during the course of the mission the Admiral gives you; before you reach the fleet, you'll be approached by a Steltek scout ship which will supercharge the gun for you.

Back