Player's turret autofire

silverWing

Spaceman
Hello, first of all, thanks for making an excellent addition to the WC universe!

I'd love it if my fighter's turret fired by itself. It's pretty useless otherwise; and the enemies' turrets work fine.

Possible? :)

I think they do already, just slowly and deliberately like the AI ships instead of the flurry produced when you're manning the turret yourself. They do have limited range, being neutron guns, which might be a factor if them not shooting?

If memory serves, they're also significantly more accurate on their own than with me in them. :)

Yeah, in the Prophecy engine, turrets definitely autofire. They would have had to make a deliberate effort to turn it off, which wouldn't have made sense because in WC2 the turrets also autofire.

I don't think there's any visual notification, though.

Ah, okay. Yeah, it seems you guys are right. I guess I didn't notice them firing before. ;)

They didn't autofire in WC2 (afaik), so it's pretty cool that they do now.

From memory the ship schematic in cockpit view of WC2 has the turrets flashing on and off when they are firing - you can see it when craft get close.

I'm pretty sure turrets never auto-fired in Privateer, however. That really ground my gears.

In-universe, Blair (and most bomber pilots on most missions) had human gunners for the turrets. In Privateer, Burrows is flying solo, and apparently doesn't have an AI that can automatically target his turret(s) for him--I'll bet that they are pricey.

Hello, first of all, thanks for making an excellent addition to the WC universe!

Thank you for playing! Standoff wouldn't exist without the wingnut community to play it.

I'd love it if my fighter's turret fired by itself. It's pretty useless otherwise; and the enemies' turrets work fine.

Possible? :)

As others have noted, it does fire by itself, it just doesn't do it as well or as fast as you would. So short answer, no.

I have to say I prefer the turrets the way they are. Well, Grikath and Gothri turrets are really annoying, especially to Arrows and dumbfires, but I can't say that's exactly a bad design decision, and Crossbow turrets really ought to be bad. All the non-Sabre (non-Morningstar, I guess, too) strike fighters being kind of terrible is where a lot of Standoff's hardest strike missions get some of their difficulty from (you'd love those extra guaranteed torpedo hits, pity you need to take a bomber where survival is a challenge to get them, eh?), so giving the Crossbow something that might actually pick Sartha dumbfires off would make some missions way too easy.

Well, by my standards of too easy anyway. I'm aware some people aren't disappointed by missions where they don't fail first time out.

Back