Planet Nine Might be a Black Hole (Did the Wing Commander Movie Predict This?)

Claymore

Rear Admiral
Hello WC community,

Scientists now believe that planet nine could be a black hole. I remember somewhere in the WC movie that a Kilrathi capital ship followed Blair's rapier and ended up getting eaten by Scylla (the movie black hole). If Scylla was in Sol system it is a crazy coincidence. Maybe it was just Sol sector. Link is below to the science news article.

It's fun to think about, but Planet Nine is not a black hole. At 10-15x the mass of the Earth, that's way too tiny to be a stellar remnant black hole, which essentially only leaves primordial black holes (a black hole remnant from the big bang). We've never seen any actual evidence that primordial black holes exist. If one happens to be in our star system, that would strongly suggest that they're all over the place.

I think the observation in the article is basically "here's a fun idea we can't actually rule out, but don't take this too seriously."

Hello WC community,

Scientists now believe that planet nine could be a black hole. I remember somewhere in the WC movie that a Kilrathi capital ship followed Blair's rapier and ended up getting eaten by Scylla (the movie black hole). If Scylla was in Sol system it is a crazy coincidence. Maybe it was just Sol sector. Link is below to the science news article.

Scylla is definitely supposed to be in Sol system. The technobable from the Confed Handbook suggests Scylla may be a Black Hole, but one that behaves oddly. Here's an excerpt:

Scylla ...lies ... in the Oort cloud of Sol system, beyond the reaches of Pluto...

Scylla is a compressed field of gravity as strong as the largest star...

Scylla seems to be a singularity emitting massive quantities of both gravitons and antigravitons in equilibrium. The antigravitons naturally "float to the top," creating a field around the anomaly that cancels out the deadly pull of the gravitons immediately around the singularity. Pass Scylla without entering her antigraviton "cloak" (which is about 1,000 k thick and spreads itself out at about the aforementioned 30,000 k mark from the center) and you won't even know it's there; but pierce the cloak and the monster has you.

... Some think it may be some kind of black hole gone wrong, somehow put "in reverse" to emit particles instead of absorbing them. Others throw up their hands and declare that Scylla could not possibly exist naturally, so it must be an artifact of some ancient civilization that deliberately put it there on the outskirts of Sol's system. Everybody agrees that the particles emitted from Scylla must originate in another universe, but exactly what that means in this context is the subject of hot debate.

Planet nine is and will always remain Pluto in my heart, no matter what these silly astrophysicists claim. As for a remnant black hole caught by the Sun, that would be a pretty fascinating discovery if it came to be true, and I can barely imagine how many probes would be sent around.

Back