Neverwinter Nights Comparisons

Loozer

Rear Admiral
I know it hasnt been out long, but what do you think about the new 3d interface of this RPG, compared to the overhead view of the Baldurs Gate series?

Personally, it has evolved too fast for me. I wish they had made it a twin of its other series involving the 3d concept. The gameplay is fair, about the only good thing about this game is the tool set which is awesome.

You can not only build your own digital adventure complete with AI scripting, customizable items, and fully interactive NPCs, but you can also jump into the game as a DM, and control what is happening to your adventurers on the fly.

That aspect of the game makes it more worth while to play it.

Any comments?

It is very good, it have a fair SP story, it is way shorter than Baldurs Gate II, but i think that where it shines is in the MP thing and the ability of being a DM.

Being a crazy nut D&D player, I'll tell you right now they didn't make this game for the first person story. (Obviously) The Aurora toolset is the reason for the game, as it's something every D&D player has wanted since he was a newbie to the game. When this game was still in development, I didn't see advertisements for "incredible, long lasting storyline", but I did see some for, "amazing, build your own adventure abilities!"

While I will admit, I loved BG/BG2 more for gameplay purposes, the MP power more than equals that out for the hardcore gamer.

I agree Sky I have the old Neverwinter Nights on floppy disks and it definitely was a lot better than EOB series, as well as the Pool of Radiance games. Im hoping the next game will be more on BG'S level.

Man, I remember all of the EotB games. At the time, they were one of my favorite games ever. (Of course, BG/BG2 has been put onto that list now, but that's not the point.) Maybe it would help if I wasn't a complete Forgotten Realms nut, as well as being a D&D nut.

For me the best CRPG was Plaescape Torment.
Great,great story, the carachters were the best i saw in any CRPG specially Morte and Fall from Grace, the dialogues have serious and fun moments.

Just loaned a friend my copy of Planescape: Torment. Despite my urging, he's still insistant on finishing the single-player NWN campaign before he starts Torment.
The toolset with NWN is interesting, but somewhat annoying. A while back, I created a little pnp module for level 1 characters, and I figured that when NWN came out, I'd use it as a starting point for a simple port.
It was set in a tower with curved walls.
DOH!
It had three creatures found in it, one of which was dire rats.
DOH!
One of the other creatures found in it was large centipedes.
DOH!

Back to the drawing board...
*sigh*

I eventually did get to work and started slapping a two story house together. Parts of it are fairly simple to understand, although there's a real lack of information, which is VERY annoying. I never did figure out how to set up an exit point. I'll probably need to go look at one of the completed single player modules to figure it out (the sp modules are available to examine and tinker with once you finish them).

Did anyone ever play the game Bane of the Cosmic Forge? Or Crusaders of the Darksavant? Those were awsome games! While they might not have had the excellent graphics we do now-and they were quite a bit of fighting, they definately made you think!

The Aurora toolset can be kinda annoying, but it's really rather cool. Some things I am a bit frustrated at not being able to do, but then again, I'm also amazed at some of the stuff I can do with it. Guess I just need to give it time for patches to come out with all the things I'd like to see in it.

Originally posted by Skyfire
Did anyone ever play the game Bane of the Cosmic Forge? Or Crusaders of the Darksavant? Those were awsome games! While they might not have had the excellent graphics we do now-and they were quite a bit of fighting, they definately made you think!

Idle curiosity, but if you played those two, did you also play the sequel, Wizardry 8 (released a few months ago)?
Just curious.

Actually I haven't played that yet. I've played nearly all the Wizardry games, but I've kinda lost contact with it as of recently. (Although you saying that makes me think I should get back into it.)

Originally posted by Skyfire
Actually I haven't played that yet. I've played nearly all the Wizardry games, but I've kinda lost contact with it as of recently. (Although you saying that makes me think I should get back into it.)

Might be a good idea to track it down. That was the last game that Sir Tech will ever make. Who knows how long before its no longer available?

That is probably a good point. (Which is disheartening, in a way.) But I suppose I'm one of those people who always sees the old greats as being available. (Even when I know they're not going to be.) Stubborn I suppose. :)

Torment was ok, Recently i had just gotten an old Mac and Im currently playing Realmz which is the most detailed (statiscally) RPG I've ever seen!! I have it on disc but you can download it legally somewhere on the net.

Yes, Im currently DMing a game in the sewers, anyone have any good ideas for traps?? something creative now.

Back