Munt mt-32 emulation is back!

wcnut

Rear Admiral
Some of you may have been aware of munt for a long time, and thought it has gone stagnant. Not anymore! Turns out it has been being worked on behind the scenes. Thanks to the contributions of a new member, it has made Huge strides in the past month to the point where it will soon be almost a perfect emulation if it isn't already now. They claim a new stable build is soon.

For more information, look at this thread
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=27560

What this means for WC?
A far better alternative to the standard Soundblaster Emulation in dosbox.

Ykhwong has incorporated the latest patches in his SVN builds of Dosbox although it is slightly older as some more changes has been made since May 1st.
http://ykhwong.x-y.net/

And I uploaded a sample play-through of the first mission up on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jih4a77RUY

Those with real devices should compare it. :)

Just checked out the video, and I must admit, I never knew what I was missing. The clarity and separation was great. I remember that I thought it was beautiful, when I bought my Creative Labs, AWE 32 sound card, I never knew the MT-32 was so much better. Thanks for sharing and look forward to play WC1 again with better Mt-32 emul;ation.

Thanks to all for their hard work!

There has been a couple months of more improvements done making it more accurate where they can. Right now I read they are working on mt-32's 3 reverb modes. The third one they got pretty good at this point but the others I'm not sure. Fortunately Tawong has made another release incorporating these improvements a day ago.
I should put up an update to the video, but granted it's nothing really that drastic.

I'd be interested what you people with actual hardware think in comparison

I've talked to a friend who has the original MT-31 a few months ago. He said that Munt Reloaded does sound very close to the original hardware.

I downloaded the build and attempted to play WC1. I went into the install menu for the game and changed the sound option to Roland MT-32 and then started the game. The sound effects are still the bad ones heard with a standard DOSBox build. Is there something else I need to do for this to work properly?

You need the CUSTOM DOSBox from the link in wcnut's YouTube video.

Edit - Oops, you already downloaded the CUSTOM DOSBox build. Perhaps wcnut or the creator can answer the issue.

Unfortunately you need the Control and PCM roms from the actual device which can't be distributed but none the less easy to find. I hope that one day they would make their own ones, but a developer stated that even if they were to do so it still would be within Roland's ip. Actually they had an interesting court battle over the issue quite a few years ago and more or less won, but I guess means to the emulator as a whole.

But if your still hearing soundblaster means your install/setup program didn't overwrite the WINGCMDR.CFG file. You probably should just manually edit. Change a552 to R

Nice. Better than soundblaster.
Still not as good as the Amiga music, in my opinion.

Well I got to disagree there, Amiga has some nice effects but this has all the notes and a lot cleaner. Just really sounds odd to me. Plus the complete separation between the left and right audio channels drives me nuts. ;) As if the music is existing in two different rooms. To each their own. Actually my personal favorite is the little chip that's built into the SNES, now that thing had some nice explosion sounds.

You're right, it is a preference. You wouldn't believe the trouble I have explaining to people that it's okay that people like different things and that is FINE and they don't need to be told that they are wrong!!

As for that actual subject, I played both intros (from youtube) and found that while the munt one was a little clearer, the quality of the samples was less and a lot of the notes clipped rather than flowed into eachother like normal music.
It's nice to hear the munt stuff though. I'm sure some of both of our preferences are derived from our memories of first playing the game. Mine sure are.

I'm sure some of both of our preferences are derived from our memories of first playing the game. Mine sure are.

That's probably very true. I've been finding the munt music much more comparable to the SNES than than any other sound device.

I remember reading that the munt as a driver will not work on a 64bit OS as it was designed for 32bit but you may want to ask. I don't know about the stand alone emulator version, you may want to see if you can find a midi looping driver that is built for 64 bit OS. I don't know any. But as for the built in dosbox patch, I'm pretty sure that that will work just fine, so I'd go with that.

I happen to own an roland MT-32 and played Wing Commander 1/2/3 back when they all first came out, 1 and 2 on a SoundBlaster and 3 on an AWE32 so I'll add my two cents.

WC 1/2 on MT-32 sound neat, but, for some reason I still prefer them on Soundblaster--the balance between bass and treble is just mixed better than it is on MT-32 where the drums are far too dominant and the sound effects are better on soundblaster also (which is unusual because normally MT-32 has far superior sound effects).

However, play WC 1/2 on the Kilrathi saga (speedfixed too as a bonus) and the music in that version sounds the best. I believe the reason for this is that the Kilrathi Saga's music was recorded from a Roland SC-55 Sound Canvas.

With that said, I'll have to try it on this new version of munt and see. Last time I used munt I wasn't impressed at all versus the real hardware but we'll see.

Mac users rejoice! Boxer, Alun's special OSX appropriated dosbox build, now has complete mt-32/cmt-32l emulation complete with LCD messages, thanks to the awesome power of munt. (roms not included) He also streamlined configuring so all you do is select mt-32 mode in any game and it will just work, routing all midi data to mt32 whenever appropriate. This streamlined configuration works for a real mt32/cmt-32l as well. Again no configuration necessary except a midi -> usb adapter.

www.boxerapp.com

This streamlined configuration works for a real mt32/cmt-32l as well. Again no configuration necessary except a midi -> usb adapter.

Now THIS excites me! Used MT-32s are at an all time low in terms of price.

I wonder if this would support my internal LAPC-I card?

I don't know if you can put such an old PC card in a modern mac. But even if you could, my guess would be no. Boxer is programed to route midi data to the USB. Nevermind finding an appropriate driver. Boxer i fear is for OS10.5+ (perhaps he hasn't dropped PPC support for those with 10.5, but it's getting harder and harder to do, and next time he will)

Ahh, good point. But I am thinking of buying an iMac as my next desktop... this kind of support is helping to sell me.

(I do own an MT-32, I just... have no idea where it is.)

I might go with the tower myself, just because I appreciate the option of customization. But I think they might be more expensive.

Back