Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Crossbow

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Hornet

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Rapier (WC1)

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters
I say WC2 Rapier, even Epee is better and Ferret beats them both.

In WC1 I prefer Raptor, but Rapier is almost as good, it's not overrated.

Voted the Dragon. It's abilities make playing WC4 a little too easy, even if it is in the last series of missions. Though I must admit it's fun to blast fighters using the fission cannons only. ;)

As for some people saying the Hellcat V often appears in fan projects: it's boxy design makes it easy to be modeled.

Where does the Hellcat appear in Standoff? I've seen the Arrow (and flown it - to great delight in the missile intercept mission), but I never saw the Hellcat.
It appears when you unlock the secret WC3-era campaign - the one that we forgot to make ;).

I'm not taking the bombers listed as fighters(Crossbow and Shrike), so that leaves a few less selections. I found that a good key for the Hellcat is to just use one set of cannons. I think the changes to the Rapier in WC2 made the fighter a shadow of its former self, although it is made clear that the Rapier is no longer considered an awesome fighter like it was in WC1.

Am I the only one who finds the Broadsword missions to be the easiest ones in WCII? I kick ass in that thing.

Voted for the Hornet, because there isn't anywhere near enough complaining about how much it sucks in comparision to the Hellcat, which it is definitely worse than. At least the Hellcat actually has enough firepower to blow stuff up in a timely manner.

Hellcat reminds me of the WW2 Hurricane,
not the most elegant, glamarous, best armed or the fastest fighter, but its economic and gets the job done

I voted for the crossbow, for the same reason as LOAF

He's joking about forgetting to make it. It's in there...really! To unlock it, all you have to do is destroy both the Snakier in Ep 3 and the Hakaga in Ep 4 on Nightmare without losing any wingmen.

I guess it's the truth, everyone seems to hate the crossbow. Looking back, I can't say I blame anyone for that. The Broadsword was a tough ship with thick armor and enough turret power that you really didnt need to worry about the enemy fighters so much when on a torpedo run...

The crossbow had a single turret which had a good amount of coverage, but still was insufficient against a large group of fighters, and it just felt like it had less armor then the big brother.

Although, they must have been easy to build with the dwarves in back of the transport building new ones for ya :p

I'd have to agree with Loaf on the Crossbow. Advantages of the Crossbow was that it was an extra 50kps faster then the Broadsword and with the two Neutron guns up front it packed a nice punch if you could line up a target. Otherwise you have one less Pilum Friend or Foe Missile and no turrets to cover your port and starboard flanks.

You know, it didn't make the list, but money is on the Bearcat as being the most overrated fighter ever- it seemed like it was supposed to be an Excal replacement, but it had a crummy gun lay out (to the point where even with auto tracking it was tough to hit things with all four tachs) and a terrible missile payload

Am I the only one who finds the Broadsword missions to be the easiest ones in WCII? I kick ass in that thing.
Well, you are right, most of the Broadsword missions in WC2 are rather easy. However, they're extremely tedious, at least in my experience. Then there are some which are harder and/or more based on luck than skill.

Overall, I find this thread very interesting because it shows how different the opinions about the fighters are, varying from individual to individual. Really shows that which fighters are percieved to be weak or "badass" really is a matter of playing style. Yes, that has been said very often already, but it is nice to see it illustrated in a thread like this, so you don't think it's just an empty phrase.

The Bearcat does not have many missions you can fly in with it, so it's a bit hard to judge. The highest cruise speed of any fighter in the game, and you need to approach dogfighting in this thing like the Epee.

I actually loved flying the Bearcat, and wished they had included more chances to fly it. I even picked it over the Dragon once or twice when that was allowed. Yes, it's guns were spaced too far apart, but that was the only thing keeping it from being an almost "perfect" fighter, at least in the WC4 context. It was like the Rapier from WC1...faster and more maneuverable than (almost) anything else, with thick shields (albeit somewhat light armor), and powerful guns that nevertheless had a disadvantage to their use (for the Rapier it was slow refire rate, for the Bearcat it was the fact that they were spaced so widely, which meant that they were only effective at a very specific range...not too far and not too close).

I really meant the broadsword missions are easy because of three nose mounted mass drivers. slow down to engagement speed and blast, blast, blast.

(yes.. I said slow down, the broadsword is such a tank that if you slow to about 120kps then 'head on' basically every fighter you encounter, you can usually dish out far more punishment than you'll receive.. then speed up, run a bit and wait for your shields to regen. capships fall quickly when they no longer have fighter cover.)

oh.. the torpedos are kind of nice too...

He's joking about forgetting to make it. It's in there...really! To unlock it, all you have to do is destroy both the Snakier in Ep 3 and the Hakaga in Ep 4 on Nightmare without losing any wingmen.

the best part of this sentence is the "all you have to do" ;)

I have to say, I'm not sure which I'd say is the most over-rated - i agree that the wc1 rapier is miles ahead of the wc2 one (time, ravage etc)

I certainly can't say the broadsword, because while it handles like a pig, it flies like a tank, the number of times i limped away manning the rear neutron turret to slaughter chasing cats.

I have to admit that I have never flown the bearcat - i spectacularly manage to NOT end up getting them in wc4 every time i play through.

Hellcat simply isnt over-rated except by that wierd group who love it, its underarmed, slow, unwieldy and frankly the arrow is better in most areas and the tbolt makes the rest!

The Dragon is anything BUT over-rated - it's barely hyped until you get it, when you realise that frankly the thing is indestructible - seether's mine trick is a farce, you could detonate kilrah behind you and not get a dent in the armour!

The vampire and shrike both blend into generality for me, the vampire handled wierdly (which i didnt line) and was too flimsy, and the shrike was heavy and fun but not as good as the devastator - so maybe the vampire was overrated

I love the idea that the epee could be a superfighter at all, its better than the ferret - but only because it has two screens (god i wish the ferret had a second screen! those things explode almost immediately you see the enemy, i swear i think the drakhri have a "detonate ferret display" button

i wasnt excited by the crossbow, it wasnt as good as it was claimed, but it wasnt bad, it was just there

Morningstar though, thats easily my second favourite ship - fast, reasonable armour, good shields and best of all, the most over the top weapon of all - the nuke - i mean seriously, how can the morningstar be over-rated, it has a nuke!

Lastly, who claimed the hornet was awesome - seriously, it's a light fighter - noone can honestly believe it's amazing?

So i guess it comes down to vampire and crossbow, the vampire i guess i didnt like, not because of the hype but because it was just weak. The crossbow i didnt like cos it wasnt a broadsword! so maybe it was overhyped.

then again, whats the definition of over-rated here, im assuming the games claiming that things were great (shut up rachel, the excaliburs just a bit poo)

I always thought the Hellcat was a very boring fighter, it even looked boring. I don't never I ever flew it (except if I really fancied a change) after the first mission in WC3. The Arrow was faster and nimbler and had two more missiles so I used that most of the time. If I wanted something with more firepower and armour I used the Thunderbolt, the Hellcat was just a dull in-betweener with nothing special about it. It was the Vauxhall Vectra of fighters. I didn't enjoy being stuck with it in the first part of WC4.

But I'm not sure if it was overrated as such because I don't think it was ever said to anything other than an average fighter.

I'd have to agree with Loaf on the Crossbow. Advantages of the Crossbow was that it was an extra 50kps faster then the Broadsword and with the two Neutron guns up front it packed a nice punch if you could line up a target. Otherwise you have one less Pilum Friend or Foe Missile and no turrets to cover your port and starboard flanks.

Which on most missions you would need. Having to fly that ship on the time in WC2SO did not help matters. I was so happy when we got to Olympia and I got to trade it in for a Saber, MUCH better craft.

Back