meet the poster

few weeks later my family and I were visiting my grandpa’s place. He has a huge game collection, over 700 including GOG.con purchases. I saw one of the games he had was Wing Commander on PC and I asked if I could play it and he said yes. I played a bit of it and he said I could take it home with me which I immediately accepted. I played the heck out of it when I got home and a few days later he heard I was enjoying them and sent the rest of the series over to me. I played them a lot back then and even today I play them a lot, and the entire series collectively is what I consider my favorite game of all time.

Good story... although the sentence "my grandpa got me into Wing Commander" does hurt a little. :)

Hey everyone, this is Michael.

I was first introduced to Wing Commander via the WC1-SM1 SNES game. At that time, I thought SM1 was a standalone game (without any prior games or backstory). Later, I came upon WC3: Heart of the Tiger. Several years after that, I started watching YouTube videos of the various WC games and learning about the story behind all of them. Namely, the Kilrathi war, the Union of Border Worlds and the Nephilim.

I had also been lurking this forum for a few years, and I decided to join today.

I have a couple of Associate degrees in Computer-Aided Drafting (CAD) and I currently work as an Engineering CAD Technician. I chose my username as a play on "Enigma Sector", because CAD is based on vectors and of course, spacecraft use vectors as well for their mission headings.

I also like the Metroid franchise. There's only one other person besides Blair who could have pushed the envelope farther with Tolwyn and that is Samus Aran. Because she is known for doing things her way and taking care of business.

Speaking of which, I think Blair could make a good C.O. for Samus, just like Adam Malkovich.

Anywho, looking forward to getting to know y'all!

-EV

I was first introduced to Wing Commander via the WC1-SM1 SNES game. At that time, I thought SM1 was a standalone game (without any prior games or backstory). Later, I came upon WC3: Heart of the Tiger. Several years after that, I started watching YouTube videos of the various WC games and learning about the story behind all of them. Namely, the Kilrathi war, the Union of Border Worlds and the Nephilim.

I had also been lurking this forum for a few years, and I decided to join today.
Welcome! The Super Nintendo games were a very common way for people to find their way into the franchise after the main PC versions.

I love the forums here, but they're a bit slower than they were back in the day. Our Discord server is quite active though! https://discord.gg/vwKE8Tc

Hi everyone! I just registered for an account here after quietly reading articles for years.

I'm 38. I was introduced to Wing Commander in 1990 when I was 5 years old by my grandfather. My grandfather worked in satellite communications, and he was fascinated by both computers and flight (he had previously served in the US Air Force). So, growing up in the 90's we constantly upgraded our family PCs, and he bought almost every flight sim out there... Microsoft Flight Simulator, Falcon, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, B-17 Flying Fortress, and of course all the Wing Commander (and related) games.

The WC series was always my favorite. I took the manuals to bed each night. The novels were some of my first 'grown up' books I was allowed to read. I drew the various ships in my notebooks in school, etc. We always bought the original floppy releases, and then upgraded to the deluxe CD-ROM editions when they came out. I also love Descent, FreeSpace, and have enjoyed StarLancer and FreeLancer.

Today I have two kids of my own, and I've been working on collecting all of the Wing Commander media I can again to display on a shelf in my home. My son has spent a lot of time watching me play Privateer and Prophecy recently (when I can pull him away from Breath of the Wild). My wife and I both work in education (she in public school, me in higher education). I am currently halfway through my doctoral studies. When the kids are tucked, and the work and schoolwork is finished, I dive right back into the cockpit of whatever ship I am currently flying.

I want to thank BanditLoaf for all of his Twitter posts over the last few years which reignited the flame for me in terms of loving Wing Commander, and which led to me recollecting the series and sharing it with my kids.

Hello folks. 🙂One of my favorite 25th anniversary moments. I've been celebrating WingCommander since part 1. The highlight for me came when WC3 started with my favorite actor, Mark Hamill. Star Wars is my favorite movie franchise and WingCommander is my favorite game franchise. And then came my life moment. When the Star Wars Celebration came to Germany. That gave me the chance to meet Carrie Fisher and Mark. And then it was clear that both had to be like this. That means the autograph was on a Star Wars photo. And for the photo shoot I put on my WC3 shirt from the special edition.😊
IMG_20230820_194017.jpg

Last edited:
Back