Making the Games: Kilrathi Fighter (October 18, 2008)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
This is the fifth set of Feng Zhu "concept" ships, commissioned for an unspecified Wing Commander title following the release of Secret Ops. While the human designs were somewhat unusual, the origin of these fighters should be apparent to anyone - they're absolutely classic Kilrathi knife-edge designs. Note that a lower-resolution version of the fighter image which is 'cut off' is available here.

Thanks to Captain Johnny for both archiving and providing this material!

--
Original update published on October 18, 2008

Last edited by a moderator:
They look WC 3 Kilrathi, no question. I think I like the 3rd one best, a bit Vaktoth like.

But they all look quite large and a bit frail, don't they?

I actually prefers the first, with the asymmetrical large wing - reminds me a boxer making a long, aggressive left hook or something - very Kilrathi looking :)

In general, fengs Kil-ships are much more WC-likish :)

Hmmmmmm. All these have a note scrawled at the bottom: "CG Model: Damon W."

Any leads on who that might be?

I should check the other sets...

I love the second one. The large top fins are badass. What does opional mean, though? Is it a typo?

Mekt-Hakkikt said:
But they all look quite large and a bit frail, don't they?

They do... then again, so does the two most dangerous Kilrathi fighters in the previous games, the Vaktoth and the Grikath.

I can only imagine how much ordinance one of those large wings could have slung underneath it. Very nice stuff.

Cool... I wonder if the CG models of these are still around somewhere?

First we should figure out of they exist in the first place - this may be more of an assignment than it is a note that the models have been built (and whether or not they are plural, too - these may be multiple concepts for a single required ship design).

Still, it's quite possible - there's a good amount of time time between when these sketches are dated (July/August '98) and when the team was fired (February 99, I think). Maybe Sean remembers what kind of work was done in that time?

They do... then again, so does the two most dangerous Kilrathi fighters in the previous games, the Vaktoth and the Grikath.

Hmm, no, I never thought that the Grikath or Vaktoth looked frail, their wings seemed thicker and they had a compact middle.

Back