MacOS Wineskin Discussion

wcnut

Rear Admiral
Greetings,

I had personally discovered this technique of running windows .exe's in MacOSX
called a wineskin

It is a technique of running windows applications by wrapping an entire windows application with all files in a bundle with an unmodified Wine in a neat single application.

Wine is a very common tool for running windows applications under a Unix operating System. It seemed a perfect tool for running Standoff in MacOSX without having to modify SecretOps in any way. I asked an expert in doing this over at the www.portingteam.com forums and also asked him to get in contact with you about the project which he very kindly agreed. This was in hopes for a tool that the Standoff Team itself could support and host for running their game in MacOSX.
Waves, the expert, told me that Standoff team could not approve on grounds that SecretOps is not, strictly speaking, free. Which has got me confused, and I feel certainly viable for discussion. How does SecretOps license matter in this case? How is this situation of running the game under a industry proven Windows API layer like Wine any different than running it under windows itself? Bear in mind, the game, again, has not been modified any way. I am having a difficult time looking for a SecretOps License finding where there could be a conflict. What is the one that allows CIC to release the full game for free? If someone could bring any light to this, would be great.

On a side note. Standoff in MacOSX runs perfectly under a wineskin with full settings including score reporting and automatic update, under very modest hardware mobile Nvidia 8600 mobile and 2.4 GHZ Intel Core 2 duo.

Thank-you
and Regards,

Waves came by #wingnut earlier. It appears he's misunderstood AD and myself. We told him to remove the full game downloads that are on the site. We told him we fully support the idea of doing patches to allow the PC games to run on a Mac.

As a Standoff team member I told him to contact Quarto or Pete about the Standoff port because I'm sure they'd like some input on their work.

The problem is that an almost complete list of WC games are available (the only one that I noted was the WCP Gold link which actually requires the CDs...and is the type of patch AD and I said would be a great idea) for complete download. I told him those needed to be removed. He somehow construed that to mean the Standoff download.

I've already talked to Pete and I know he'd be interested in doing a Standoff port working with waves, but the full game links have to go. We do not support piracy in any fashion. Again, though it would be great to make patches that allow people to play on Macs if they own the games.

Oh so that's what it is, I don't condone Piracy myself. Quite understandable. That is just the place where I found someone who would know what they were doing. I'd have made the wrapper myself but Standoff had in interesting problem with the need for the Launcher, which I didn't know how to work around.

Well Waves let me have control of the Wineskin Port, so you can direct any comments to me, and hopefully I'll be able to fulfill them.

I already made some minor changes simplifying the number of .apps the user is confronted with and lead directly to the launchers, as there is little point in opening the main .exes directly, however if the user does want to open them, some custom apps are in the Standoff.app under -> show package contents and to which an alias can be made from wherever. Alias is like a shortcut with some differences, you see for you windows users. ;)

Here are some Screenshots so you know what it looks like, but then you know what it looks like as it's your game :rolleyes:

(fullscreen works fine too)

Back