I've finished....

That would make an interesting storyline...how would the Cats deal with a rogue clan? The probable answer is "by wiping it out", of course; I'll have to revisit what I know about feudal Japan to see if there's anything else that could be done with this notion.

There's also something that could be done with the Kilrathi equivalent of a ronin - how would a warrior deal with the loss of his clan, or his explusion from the clan? Zuk'hara's what you see in the books (when Hunter dies in particular), but what if a Cat decided not to take that route?

Argh, I mixed SWC with the SNES port I think, because of the "Super". The latter one wasn't done by Origin IIRC.

The SNES port is just the original Wing Commander reworked for the console; it's /pretty/ true to the original, except for where it runs into memory limitations (green Salthi) or Nintendo's dumb 1990s censorship rules (no alcohol or religion.)

Super Wing Commander is the one where everything's radically different--all the ships redesigned, Secret Missions 2 dropped and so on. In theory it's closer to what Chris Roberts wanted from the game.

@capi: We hear of quite some Kilrathi who are something like that in the books I think. Gar's guys seem to be something like that.
Dishonored creatures most Kilrathi don't even look at. They treat them like they weren't there most of the time or kill them whenever they see them. It is a great shame for most Kilrathi, but there are reasons to keep living despite being clanless.

About the splitting clans I'm not sure. We know some clans have split from other ones, but we don't know how. I guess most were allowed to do that by their liege lords, but I can't rule out the possibility that it may happen differently as well. And if such a rogue clan is powerful enough they might survive.

@LOAF: Now I'm a bit confused. Weren't there some WC releases that were reworked by other companies? I thought it was the console ones, done in Japan or something by a totally different team.

@LOAF: Now I'm a bit confused. Weren't there some WC releases that were reworked by other companies? I thought it was the console ones, done in Japan or something by a totally different team.

Not that I know of.

Several of the console ports were done by outside teams, but the goal was always to try and recreate the PC version as faithfully as possible.

Wing Commander and The Secret Missions for SNES were done under license by Mindscape, as was Wing Commander for the Amiga (which was in turn done by a brilliant British programmer.) Wing Commander for the SegaCD and Wing Commander III Playstation were done by EA teams working in California. Wing Commander Prophecy for the GBA was done by an Italian company called Raylight.

Origin had a partner company called Lion which was made up of many xOrigin employees who did several ports in Austin... all three Mac ports and Wing Commander IV PSX (which was finished at Origin proper.)

Privateer 2 was done by Erin Roberts' team in Manchester, which was called "Origin UK" at that time. And Wing Commander Arena, of course, wasn't done at Origin by virtue of having been developed five years after OSI closed.

The Kilrathi Saga manual actually has both aces. Dakhath nar Sihkag on page 43, Dakhath nar Caxki on page 69.

I don't have the KS manual. Is it just a compilation of the Claw Marks through Victory Streak, or did they redo it completely?

And I'm gonna apologize in advance for this one, but the debate about Dakhath has set this one off: (sigh) to me, the Kilrathi were Klingons. Their importance on personal honor, the clan structure, the warrior culture. It was all there. Stay with me. Worf's house (Mogh) was dishonored, and eventually disbanded. Later on, he joined another house (Martock. sigh). When this happened, it was a big event. Worf was already (in)famous in the empire, and a noted warrior, much as Deathstroke was. When Worf joined Martock's house, it was because Worf's had been disbanded, and he was currently house-less. Something similar could be the case here. Is it an extreme example inside a normally rigid Kilrathi clan structure? Yes. Is it a good story cuz of it? I guess that depends on who's telling the story...

That was a lot of full-frontal nerdity. Please don't kick me out of here for it :eek: Hopefully nobody was offended by it, but someone mentioned the difficulty of Dakhath switching clans, and that came to mind.

It is not just three books glued together, but has a totally different structure.
Granted, MOST of its content is from one of the three manuals that were already there, but there are also some new things in it.
You should read it, it is available for download here: https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/Wing_Commander:_The_Kilrathi_Saga_Manual

btw: Maybe someone should make Victory Streak available again here at the CIC, the Russian Wing Commander site that hosted it is gone apparently (link is dead).

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have the KS manual. Is it just a compilation of the Claw Marks through Victory Streak, or did they redo it completely?

A little of both. It's Blair's "scrap book" which includes articles from the three manuals plus some new material. A lot of it is reformatted and the Claw Marks material is from the later Sega CD/Super Wing Commander update that most fans hadn't seen before. The Wing Commander II portion, especially, is padded out since that game didn't really have a fiction manual.

btw: Maybe someone should make Victory Streak available again here at the CIC, the Russian Wing Commander site that hosted it is gone apparently (link is dead).

Check your GOG extras folder! We recreated Victory Streak using Origin's Quark files a few months back... so there's an as-clean-as-possible PDF included with that release.

A little of both. It's Blair's "scrap book" which includes articles from the three manuals plus some new material. A lot of it is reformatted and the Claw Marks material is from the later Sega CD/Super Wing Commander update that most fans hadn't seen before. The Wing Commander II portion, especially, is padded out since that game didn't really have a fiction manual.

I recall downloading a PDF copy of it from CIC... ah, here we go. Just over a hundred megs, so make sure you've got a good connection.

Check your GOG extras folder! We recreated Victory Streak using Origin's Quark files a few months back... so there's an as-clean-as-possible PDF included with that release.

And then someone post it up here, please...all I've got is the crummy 3DO version. Well, lemme rephrase that - I've got my copy of Victory Streak somewhere in my house. I just don't know where......

I got the original WC3, not the GOG version. I wonder whether I should buy the GOG versions....
Do they run more smoothly than the old ones+DosBox? If yes I might buy them. If I had a credit card.

EDIT: I also got the digital 3DO thing, and my original printed German Victory Streak somewhere. But it is hard to find anything there because it lacks the search function. :D

And there is also a low-res KS manual version for download I think.

And then someone post it up here, please...all I've got is the crummy 3DO version. Well, lemme rephrase that - I've got my copy of Victory Streak somewhere in my house. I just don't know where......
Err, the reason it's not here is because you're supposed to buy it. :)
$5.99 gets you available-nowhere-else perfect digital copies of Victory Streak and Origin's Official Guide to Wing Commander III... plus a dozen other extras... and a copy of Wing Commander III you can download anywhere and play on a modern computer without needing to set anything up...

Back