It's that time of year again.

Mav23

Swabbie
Banned
Well... it's been about a year since my computer broke down last year and I got to run through the WC series again... and guess what, it did it again! So of course, I've been diligently playing through my collection. Just having beaten Prophecy not but a few hours ago, I started thinking... in what direction do you think Chris Roberts would have taken WC V, had he not been "influenced to retire"?

I can't wait till I can buy a WC PC for just playing games, it's probably been almost 4 years since I was able to play WC...all the games and manuals are in a big box in my closet...

I personally think another 'Privateer' styled WC game would have been fantastic. But then again, my every second post seems to be asking for another Privateer game. :p

Not to put a damper on Conspiracy Theory Monday, but Chris Roberts' project at the time of his departure from Origin was a game called 'Silverheart'. Wing Commander V/Prophecy probably would have been the same game, whether EA continued employing Roberts or not.

Just so you know, Deadeye, the Wing Commander series was designed to play out two more games incorporating the NE-PHIL-IM (don't mind LOAF, he's just being his usual superman-smartass self ;) , named something similar to the Matrix trilogy--I believe one of them was to be called "Revelations." This is info culled from a few of the *many* Nephilim debates and threads that have passed through here, and I'm sure that at least one of the Admins or high-ranking Avatar-ed dudes can back me up on that...
BTW, one thread on the nature of the Nephilim from about four years ago went on for well over 30 pages...I think it ended up closer to 50...So there are certainly plenty of theories on the 'bugs.

Someone mentioned something about another Privateer game, and it got me thinking about a PC Gamer story I read about Privateer 3. Basically, this may have been before EA bought Origin, but I suppose the project got cancelled anyway. P3 was supposed to be set back in the 'real' WC universe, and I think took place in the Gemini Sector again.

Sadly, I can't find the PCGamer story about it, does anyone remember this, though?

Mad Cow said:
Someone mentioned something about another Privateer game, and it got me thinking about a PC Gamer story I read about Privateer 3. Basically, this may have been before EA bought Origin, but I suppose the project got cancelled anyway. P3 was supposed to be set back in the 'real' WC universe, and I think took place in the Gemini Sector again.

Sadly, I can't find the PCGamer story about it, does anyone remember this, though?

Just hold out for a couple more days man.

Mad Cow said:

Given that EA had bought Origin just around or after the time of WC2, which was well before Privateer came out (1993), I doubt that Privateer 3 would've been thought about before Privateer was even published. :D

Besides which, any non-UO project in the last couple of years has been cancelled, so there's nothing new there...

Right. I know that all non-UO projects were cancelled a long time, although I was wrong about the buyout date. I just wanted to know if Origin had released any promotional material or anything for this game before the project was cancelled.

named something similar to the Matrix trilogy--I believe one of them was to be called "Revelations."

"Redemption" and "Revelation" (in that order) were the names mentioned by some of the ex-Origin guys. It's not necessarily saying much, since the whole 'trilogy' concept seems to have gone out the door when David Downing left (well before WCSO).

Lots of Privateer projects were worked on and dropped over the years - I don't think any of them were formally announced, though. The article you're thinking of was in Computer Games Strategy Plus magazine... we have the screenshots scanned here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bandit LOAF said:
Lots of Privateer projects were worked on and dropped over the years - I don't think any of them were formally announced, though. The article you're thinking of was in Computer Games Strategy Plus magazine... we have the screenshots scanned here.

Yep, that's the one I was thinking about. Guess I got my wires crossed on the magazine. Thanks for the link.

Last edited by a moderator:
so will be my annual wc-athon... start with wc1 on snes and go from there... always a good time

The CIC's b-day should become a day when everyone starts playing WC from the start all the way through to SO. That way we can swap missions stories with them newly replayed in our heads. Nothing like another good tradition to add to the CIC's annual celebration...

Back