It's that time of year again.

You know - I purposely took the chance of dropping $300 on the entire WC set from a complete unknown on Ebay just to get my grubby Irish hands on Kilrathi Saga and I still haven't finished WC1.

The CIC's b-day should become a day when everyone starts playing WC from the start all the way through to SO. That way we can swap missions stories with them newly replayed in our heads. Nothing like another good tradition to add to the CIC's annual celebration...

This would be a really great idea. The only problem would be the massive amount of profanity spat out on the 'mission stories' thread on the first or second day whenever we would all be trying to save that captured Ralari-class destroyer in WC1. I have lost several glasses, three jewel cases, and a joystick to this mission. (Fail the mission, get angry, smash something, ya know the drill)

A friend of mine recently replaced my Kilrathi Saga CDs for me, saving me from having to drop several hundred bucks on them on eBay, but I still can't find my Kilrathi Saga manual. ::tears up:: I wish there was some way we could get enough people to sign a contract guaranteeing EA that they would purchase a complete line of legacy WC games optimized for newer systems so that they would do it.

Imagine how great the whole series would be if they optimized it for 3d-accelerated systems the way Lucasarts did for X-Wing and TIE Fighter? It's a damned crying shame that developers get bought up by conglomerates like EA and other companies that think if they can't sell a gazillion copies of a game at Wal-Mart, then the property isn't worth keeping alive.

Sorry to rant, but look at the properties that EA has that they aren't doing anything with:
Wing Commander
The entire Jane's series of military simulations
Ultima (non-online)
Dune
Populous

Maybe EA would produce another game if we renamed the series "The Sims: Wing Commander" and had John Madden play a main character. *sigh* I miss the games I grew up on.

Mad Cow said:
Sorry to rant, but look at the properties that EA has that they aren't doing anything with:
Wing Commander
The entire Jane's series of military simulations
Ultima (non-online)
Dune
Populous
I purposely sought out and bought the most recent Jane's flight sim, named "Attack Squadron," and it turned out to be far worse graphically, in gameplay, and with stability than Jane's World War II fighters from 1998! I was mega-pissed at the waste of the license, and ended up buying IL-2 for decent flight-simming.

Now it seems like we are all the wise (okay, maybe not...) elders of the gaming community who remember when making games took a few guys in an apartment a couple years to make, they still rocked, and they were far better than the mass-produced trash. You won't believe how naive and obnoxious this new generation of GTA, Tony Hawk, and Halo-raised gamers are....urg, now I feel old...

Yeah, I'd say the last good Jane's sim was probably USAF. After that, EA started screwing around with the devleopment team. I never bought Attack Squadron. I mainly kept to World War II fighters or Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator games.

However, the very best WWII flight simulator was the free version of Air Warrior that you could download and play online free from AOL back in like 94 or 95. :)

EA is really abad about canning projects makes one wonder if there is some guy sitting in his office gets bored and says "Hmmm I wonder what project I should cancel today so we can start a new one we have no intention of finishing"

On the other hand, they're the most succesful video game company ever... so they're probably actually very *good* at canning projects.

Most definately, not that they havent released some good games mind you it just stinks when they get a crowd of people all wanting the new game and then all the sudden its canned. But then again life is full of disapointments eh?

Oh, re: earlier in the thread. EA no longer holds the Jane's license - "Attack Squadron" was developed and published by a different company.

What's the deal with C&C nowadays... last I heard was Generals (I heard they removed video briefings :( ) but I never played it. Does Generals even fit into the C&C storyline?

Mav23 said:
What's the deal with C&C nowadays... last I heard was Generals (I heard they removed video briefings :( ) but I never played it. Does Generals even fit into the C&C storyline?

I dunno, but I bought the C&C Collection (5 games for $25!) which has tiberiuan sun, its expansion, Renegade, Red Alert 2, and Yuri's Revenge and a demo of Generals which I havent played yet (got addicted to RA2 lol) but I'll try the Generals and see what its like.

Back