Is this how Hobbes wrote his name?

Blaster

Rear Admiral
I decided to make something using the Kilrathi letters from the Standoff Easter egg. The first thing I noticed is that they look like they would be very awkward to write by hand. Trying to make those shapes is more like drawing than writing. Maybe they’re easier for Kilrathi hands or maybe they only look that way when being typed or caved the same way that some computer fonts of Roman letters would be hard to write by hand. I tried to change them a little to make them easier to write and still look similar to the originals.

Attachments

• Hobbes 001.jpg
    Hobbes 001.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 50
Well, instead of using a pen, it could have been that they used their claws to "scratch" the surface of the writing material.

Well, instead of using a pen, it could have been that they used their claws to "scratch" the surface of the writing material.

That's a great way of looking it - if you think about it it's a bit faster that way because they can use all five fingers independently to carve the separate parts of the symbol at the same time.

I always figured Melek used his claw to sign the peace treaty at the end of WC3, although thinking about it, I seem to recall Tolwyn handing him a pen...

Simply, writing like we do feels natural for us because we've been doing it most of our lives. For Kilrathi it would be similar I would imagine, they have written like that all their lives, so to them it doesn't feel like drawing.

Those don't look any more difficult or awkward to write than Japanese characters.

And to answer the original question, Standoff's easter egg does base its alphabet on the one made by Origin, and if you've correctly transposed the letters, then that's as good as you can get, but it's a little funny how they have these exact counterparts to English letters. :)

I do like the idea of the Kilrathi using their claws to write with. It seems like they would have to dip them into ink (or blood?) quite a lot though if they were going to write very much.

I do like the idea of the Kilrathi using their claws to write with. It seems like they would have to dip them into ink (or blood?) quite a lot though if they were going to write very much.

Yeah, except that doesn't really work on a computer screen...

Back