Intrepid's role at the end of WC4

Ughhh . . . yeah that was me some years ago. If we're really looking for non-canonical carriers, I kind of like the 850 meter Polaris-class Carrier that shows up in the Prophecy development material. The specs for that ship just feel right for the immediate post-WC2/3 era, especially with the ship's focus on ion weaponry, a type featured on the Midway-class, and its 250-ship fighter wing. It's a great mid-point between an older Concordia-class and a new Vesuvius-class. In my own head canon, I see these ships as being state of the art in 2668-9, with a few completing construction after the war. Then, by 2671, whatever were left on the slips were canceled and broken up as scrap due to the post-war funding situation. During their late-war heyday, I could easily see a Polaris give a Bhantkara a run for its money!

There's also the 1200 meter heavy carrier that show in one of the early drafts of Victory Streak, but I'm glad that didn't make it to print. This ship is something like 35,000 tonnes, which seems far too light for a ship of its size when measured up against every other carrier except the Armada Lexington.

I kind of envision a post-war navy looking something like this in 2680: 1 Midway-class CVX with 9 more under construction, 4-5 Vesuvius-class CVs, 10 other heavy CVs (Concordias, Lexingtons, Polaris?), 20 Light CVs (Eagle-class), 200 or so cruisers with fighter wings, and 1000 destroyers with fighter squadrons. But again, that's just in my head.

No worries, we all have our own head cannon which can be useful to fill in the blanks on certain items that haven't been given detail in the franchise. Those notes that you posted in combination with Capi's RPG Sourcebook proved useful a few years back when I was briefly toying with bringing back Against all odds. Sylvester, and I had a good test battle going at one point. Sadly though the forum that was hosting it got nuked when Zetaboards merged with Tapatalk.

I'd love to collaborate on something down the line if you ever decide to revive an RPG or strategy game. There's so much room in the timeline to explore. It'd be really cool to do something focused on the adventures of Shotglass or Col. Halcyon in the 40s.

No worries, we all have our own head cannon which can be useful to fill in the blanks on certain items that haven't been given detail in the franchise. Those notes that you posted in combination with Capi's RPG Sourcebook proved useful a few years back when I was briefly toying with bringing back Against all odds. Sylvester, and I had a good test battle going at one point. Sadly though the forum that was hosting it got nuked when Zetaboards merged with Tapatalk.
Indeed - I looked back at some of my very old AAO posts once upon a time when the forums were still active and I saw how cringey my early designs on it were. A few years later I came up with a design for a post-WC4 standard fleet carrier to complement the Midway and Vesuvius-class ships and I came up with this - the Essex-class.

Attachments

• Carrier.jpg
    Carrier.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Detail Side.jpg
    Detail Side.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 63
  • RevisedIso.jpg
    RevisedIso.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 55
I'd love to collaborate on something down the line if you ever decide to revive an RPG or strategy game. There's so much room in the timeline to explore. It'd be really cool to do something focused on the adventures of Shotglass or Col. Halcyon in the 40s.
I am in the process building a new Forum. It's been slow going though as a good piece of the data that I had stored was lost when a Hard Drive failed. But I will certainly keep you in the loop.
Indeed - I looked back at some of my very old AAO posts once upon a time when the forums were still active and I saw how cringey my early designs on it were. A few years later I came up with a design for a post-WC4 standard fleet carrier to complement the Midway and Vesuvius-class ships and I came up with this - the Essex-class.

That's not a bad looking design for an early render. I wouldn't mind building it in Space Engineers in creative mode at some point.

I think the more interesting question is about the status of the Border Worlds Militia during the war. The novel makes reference to a number of things like the Outer Worlds Fleet (was it formed during or after the war?) and the Senate intro seems to accept the existence of the Militia as an established fact. And also, that they were a "loyal ally" rather than a constituent part of the Confederation? Were they a paramilitary police force like the Gemini militias or something more substantive?

The whole concept is a retcon of course so reading backwards into it is kind of pointless, but it's an interesting concept that adds depth to the universe. Ohlander really did a good job on elaborating on this sort of thing, the Wing Commander IV novel is still my favorite for that reason.

As an aside, who created the idea of the Border Worlds? Was it Borst & De Palma, or someone else?

Back