Internal Files Question

No need, I found them in the standoff's episode (x) .tres. They just weren't working because I was using Software mode, not Direct3D.

Oh, I see. You were using Standoff files in regular WCP/SO with software mode. Or are you just not explaining things clearly?

Well, of course, software mode won't handle them. As I understand it, Standoff has some hacks to allow for higher resolution textures than what the original game engine allowed.

Misappropriating this thread because I figure I may as well...

Where are the e-mail messages stored after episode 2? Ep1 and 2 they're in FICTION which is fairly obvious, but in Ep3 and beyond (presumably because these are the missions with winning and losing paths and thus very different messages) there are no actual e-mails other than the fighter updates in FICTION. To whence have they fled?

I'm pretty sure you still get an email every once in a while - but generally, we shifted the emphasis on live conversations. I personally have always felt emails, whether in SO, UE or Standoff, to be pretty forced and artificial - you have a bunch of people stuck together in a cramped ship, and for some reason, they choose to communicate (but only on the most important, story-critical matters) through... email? It just never made sense...

You still get e-mails, yes (quite a few are fleetwide things from Tolwyn, who probably doesn't have time to hop into a Ferret and tour the fleet with the news), I just can't find them in the game files as they don't appear to be in the same place as they used to be. Any idea where they might be?

Hah. Your putting the fiction files not in the Episode TREs is no match for my powers of looking through all the TREs until I found them. They were in the Config TRE. Why, I have no idea, but that is where they were.

...you have a bunch of people stuck together in a cramped ship, and for some reason, they choose to communicate (but only on the most important, story-critical matters) through... email? It just never made sense...
There plenty of real-world reasons for this, I'm sure. From an in-universe perspective, the official 'Eyes Only' documents in Secret Ops makes sense in e-mail format, but I suppose having e-mail conversations can seem out of place.

Then again, in my office, we often communicate by e-mail if we're talking to multiple people at once, or if we're making announcements, etc. And some of those e-mails in Secret Ops were of a personal nature that may not have felt quite right face-to-face.

I dunno, take this all as you will.

I email people who sit next to me in my office all the time. Sometimes they're there, sometimes they're not, but if it's conducted via email, it's documented for history and I can carry a conversation with multiple people over a span of time, whether they are there or not (the pilot analogy would be while some are out on missions).

Yes, I know one of my colleagues will write e-mails for this particular purpose, so she has the history to back her up in cases of communication confusion and disputes...

Yes, I know one of my colleagues will write e-mails for this particular purpose, so she has the history to back her up in cases of communication confusion and disputes...

Yeah, my wife's ex-boss liked to make promises to people and later claim that no such conversation had ever taken place. Basically you had to commit her in writting or you would get screwed.

Despite all that, the game works better with the conversation scenes instead emails. It makes for a more immersive experience.

If I want to read email I'll stick to reality.

Back