Install bug with WCP

F

Fanatic

I'm having a weird problem with Wing Commander Prophecy installing on my machine. It keeps claiming I do not have enough free disk space on either of my drives, it thinks i have less than 50 megabytes when I have over 28 gigs on each. Anyone know a solution to this problem etc?

Am running windows XP.

This problem is known for Privateer 2 the Darkening, but not for WCP. However, maybe the same fix works: try to create the directory you want WCP to be installed into before running the installer.

If that doesn't work, you can just do a manual install.

Directions for Manual Install

Manual installation will be a two part process; copying the necessary files listed in the appropriate sizes installation, and creating a .cfg file with the appropriate rasterMajor, cdDirectory, indtallDirectory lines.

Files in Minimum Installation

audio.tre
data.tre
genifr.tre
gf.tre
gl_0002.dll (Install directory on CD #1)
gl_0005.dll (Install directory on CD #1)
gl_0006.dll (Install directory on CD #1)
install.iff
language.iff
language.tre
launcher.exe (Install directory on CD #1)
minimum.cfg (Install directory on CD #1)
music.tre (CD #2)
programs.cfg (Install directory on CD #1)
prophecy.exe (Install directory on CD #1)
special.tre
uninstal.exe (Install directory on CD #1)

Files in Medium Installation

audio.tre
data.tre
genifr.tre
gf.tre
install.iff
language.iff
language.tre
medium.cfg (Install directory on CD #1)
music.tre (CD #2)
special.tre
speech.tre

Files in Maximum Installation

audio.tre
data.tre
genifr.tre
gf.tre
install.iff
language.iff
language.tre
maximum.cfg (Install directory on CD #1)
movies.tre
music.tre (CD #2)
special.tre
speech.tre
speech1.tre
speech2.tre (CD #2)
speech3.tre (CD #3)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prophecy .cfg Switches

The prophecy.cfg file is both powerful and easy to use. Three steps are needed for proper operation. Because of the nature of this process, it is recommended that the game be installed into a relatively simple directory structure. C:\PROPHECY is recommended.

Step One - Creation of a prophecy.cfg file

The prophecy.cfg file is nothing more than a simple text file located in the directory Wing Commander: Prophecy is installed into. Edit the file, such that the name is prophecy.cfg.
Check the file, and add the following switches, based on your needs. Remember that each switch is case sensitive.

installDirectory=<customer hard drive directory>

Replace <customer hard drive directory> with the full path to the customers installed directory. (Ex. installDirectory=C:\Prophecy)
cdDirectory=<customer cd drive>

Replace <customer cd drive> with the full path to the customers installed directory. (Ex. cdDirectory=D:\)
rasterMajor=x

Specifies what graphics rasterizer to use. Replace "2" for 3Dfx, and "6" for software.
useDirectSound=0

Turns off all sound.
useStreamer=0

Turns off all music. If the user is getting "streamer" crashes, this may provide a workaround.
Step Two - Creation of a run.bat file

Once the .cfg file is successfully created, the game must be "told" to use it. The simplest way to accomplish this is to create a run.bat file in the customers installed directory. The file need only contain the following line:

prophecy.exe @prophecy.cfg

This instructs the exe file to look at the .cfg file before running.

Step Three - Run it!

From now on, simply instruct users to use the run.bat file, rather than prophecy.exe. You are done!

You can then apply the appropriate registry patches from our files section.

Just a thought... did you set the compatability mode of the installer?

AD said:
Just a thought... did you set the compatability mode of the installer?

Probably not. The installer is on the CD and thus won't take any compatibility setting...

cff said:
Probably not. The installer is on the CD and thus won't take any compatibility setting...

Not true at all. Just right click on setup on the CD and set compatability as usual. Though you may have to do it again everytime you take out the CD, but that really isn't a problem if you manage to install it the first time. Though a quick test on my machine and after taking the cd out and putting it back in (giving it time to register that the CD was gone) the compatablility mode was still set. I havent tested what happens if I were to put a different CD in and then putting the WCP CD back in.

This is a very timely thread, I am just now working to get my newly acquired copy of Prophecy to run, the original, NOT the Gold version. I will have to do a install by hand, and this looks very promising.

One question, in the instructions for the cfg file, i saw the following:
Turns off all sound.
useStreamer=0

Turns off all music. If the user is getting "streamer" crashes, this may provide a workaround.

does this turn OFF the music and sound? I would like to play WITH them on, is there a different setting?

and creating the bat file, I did this last week in another hand install but forgot the file extension name for a bat file, when you name the file after the text, can someone possibly let me know? do you name it xxx.bat? I plead old age and
fading memory in my human harrd drive.

thanks so much for this great thread!
.......................quote:
Step Two - Creation of a run.bat file

Once the .cfg file is successfully created, the game must be "told" to use it. The simplest way to accomplish this is to create a run.bat file in the customers installed directory. The file need only contain the following line:

prophecy.exe @prophecy.cfg

.................end quote

and do i need to leave the CD in the machine while I play it? It would not install without the CD and I don't like to run with CD;s in the machine expecialy when they are so old......is there a no CD patch? thanks if not,
can anyone tell me how to write a cfg file that will tell the computer to load from the hard drive, I saw a post from someone in another thread that they wrote one from their desktop, but I was not sure how to write the cfg instruction code for this? thanks very much for any help. Cheers.

Christopherger said:
One question, in the instructions for the cfg file, i saw the following:
Turns off all sound.
useStreamer=0

does this turn OFF the music and sound? I would like to play WITH them on, is there a different setting?

Just leave the line out of the cfg file entirely.

Christopherger said:
and creating the bat file, I did this last week in another hand install but forgot the file extension name for a bat file, when you name the file after the text, can someone possibly let me know? do you name it xxx.bat? I plead old age and
fading memory in my human harrd drive.

Yes, the extension for bat files is .bat. As the instructions say, you can just call it run.bat.

Christopherger said:
and do i need to leave the CD in the machine while I play it? It would not install without the CD and I don't like to run with CD;s in the machine expecialy when they are so old......is there a no CD patch? thanks if not,

You must have the CD in the drive or use something such as daemon tools to virtually simulate the CDs that you own.

Christopherger said:
can anyone tell me how to write a cfg file that will tell the computer to load from the hard drive, I saw a post from someone in another thread that they wrote one from their desktop, but I was not sure how to write the cfg instruction code for this? thanks very much for any help. Cheers.

That doesn't sound familiar. I don't think a custom cfg would do it.

Thanks Chris, much appreciated. sorry about the duplicate thread, i was not sure of replies .....you answered all my questions very thouroughly much appreciated. Thanks again.

Back