Importing 3d models/Perfect Plan status

Kyran

Rear Admiral
I've been messing around with trying to get some new models into Flight Commander. The furthest I've managed to get is to be able to get an obj in the game. Unfortunately the skin of the obj model doesn't show up (I'm assuming there is nothing wrong with my obj files as the skins work in Wings3D).

I'm guessing the only way is to convert my obj into the same format as the .mesh.bin files, however I have no idea what format that is. Bin to me just sounds like an executable. :D

Work on Perfect Plan is continuing. Story and mission plans for three thirds of the campaign are done. Voice acting work has died though. :D I should possibly prod some people who I've sent lines to.

Skinning the ships has been moving along slowly, but it's been happening at least.
skinning.png
pp_newskin.png

(The first one is really to remind me to get a better Hellcat model, that one has a bug where one of the sides isn't drawn.)

If you're looking for 3d models, try here:

http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=18597

You'll need to edit the ship xml files, but it's a good start for the models.

As far as importing .obj files, you need both the .mtl file and the .obj file. Compare the mtl file with the existing ones that come with flight commander. Also make sure the textures are in either .bmp, png, or jpeg.

Sweet, the mtl file did the trick. I tested it out with Klavs81's Super Ferret model.

objswork.png

Looks neato. Shame I can't use it.

Work on Perfect Plan is continuing. Story and mission plans for three thirds of the campaign are done.

I assume three thirds means all story and mission plans are now complete for the entire game, right? :)

Well, send me the lines for the rest of the Voice Work.

I don't remember which ones I have left to do, and I assume I'll need new ones for the campaign.

I assume three thirds means all story and mission plans are now complete for the entire game, right? :)

No, just for the campaign. Right now three campaigns are three thirds done, with the remainder two hardly dealt with. :p Campaigns are really just Acts, but you access them via the campaign menu. :) Don't expect to see anything soon however, 1.6 isn't very backward compatible. Lotsa things need to be remade. :(

QuailPilot said:
I don't remember which ones I have left to do, and I assume I'll need new ones for the campaign.

I didn't want to overwork you. :D I'm rather sure these are the lines you haven't done yet.

You’re flying a bigger brick then I am.
Get back here and defend us.
Stop flooding the comm. channel.
What’s your status blue leader.
What’s your status blue two.
Red wing, report status.
Hang in the Blue wing, we’re prepping Green to assist you.
Our engines have taken a direct hit.
This is Jahrtausend of the Millennia Corporation. We are under attack from pirates and require assistance immediately.

Your character has roles in Complications (Act/Campaign 2) and Catastrophe (Act/Campaign 5). I'll hopefully be able to send you your lines for Complications in a few days.

Don't expect to see anything soon however, 1.6 isn't very backward compatible. Lotsa things need to be remade. :(

Yeah, if you want to be able to select Navs in a mission, yes new scripting is needed, and you'll need to assign Nav points in the mission editor. And then of course the weapons.xml file changed. Anything else causing particular problems?

No, just for the campaign. Right now three campaigns are three thirds done, with the remainder two hardly dealt with. :p Campaigns are really just Acts, but you access them via the campaign menu. :)

I guess I'm trying to decipher your fraction. :) "Three thirds" is 100%. If you have three of five things done, then you're three fifths.

Yeah, if you want to be able to select Navs in a mission, yes new scripting is needed, and you'll need to assign Nav points in the mission editor. And then of course the weapons.xml file changed. Anything else causing particular problems?

I've managed to fix them all, except for this one bug which crashes the game every time one of my custom videos are played.

EDIT: HOLY SHOOT THIS VERSION IS FLIPPIN' AWESOME!

I may mispronounce Jahrtausend to be honest.

You and every other voice actor I have. :p Jah-ta-sen or similar. :D

Behold, my first bit of non-com related Wing Commander art!
admiral.png

Good luck trying to guess who it is.

I've managed to fix them all, except for this one bug which crashes the game every time one of my custom videos are played.

EDIT: HOLY SHOOT THIS VERSION IS FLIPPIN' AWESOME!

Glad you like it. Now about that video problem... is it the ingame comms or the cutscene videos. Any more details to help debug this?

You forgot to attach the files with those two emails you've sent me.

Glad you like it. Now about that video problem... is it the ingame comms or the cutscene videos. Any more details to help debug this?

It's the ingame comms, the sound plays but the video doesn't (along with the game crashing). No error on the console.

Any idea when we will see a new release of the Perfect Plan?

I had a release nearly done, which introduced all the new voice talent, recoloured skins and other goodies, but the release of 1.6 has postponed that.

What I need to do is get the game working again, put the latest round of new voice work in, get some old voice actors to record some new lines, and update all the missions so they identify whose talking. :D Oh, and do a few more simulator missions.

It's the ingame comms, the sound plays but the video doesn't (along with the game crashing). No error on the console.

Can you make sure the videos have the same dimensions (width and height) as the comm videos that come with flight commander. If that doesn't fix it, can you send me a copy of a bad video.

Can you make sure the videos have the same dimensions (width and height) as the comm videos that come with flight commander. If that doesn't fix it, can you send me a copy of a bad video.

My videos haven't changed since my last release with the previous version. Email away!

My videos haven't changed since my last release with the previous version. Email away!

Ok, I tried the video you just emailed in 1.6 and it worked fine. So it's not the video file itself. Maybe your comm.xml is messed up, why don't you post the text of the comm.xml here.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<comms defaultvideo="WC_Soopaha.avi" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="comms.xsd">
<comm key="statusgood" caption="I'm alright." sound="soopaha_statusgood1.mp3"/>
<comm key="dead" caption="Ah!" sound="soopaha_death.mp3"/>
<comm key="statusmedium" caption="I'm not alright." sound="soopaha_statusmedium1.mp3"/>
<comm key="insult" caption="Your currancy will fail and so will you!" sound="soopaha_insult3.mp3"/>
<comm key="insult" caption="Your currancy will fail and so will you!" sound="soopaha_insult2.mp3"/>
<comm key="insult" caption="Your currancy will fail and so will you!" sound="soopaha_insult1.mp3"/>
<comm key="no" caption="No Sir!" sound="soopaha_no1.mp3"/>
<comm key="no" caption="No Sir!" sound="soopaha_no2.mp3"/>
<comm key="no" caption="No Sir!" sound="soopaha_no3.mp3"/>
<comm key="yes" caption="Yes Sir!" sound="soopaha_yes1.mp3"/>
<comm key="yes" caption="Yes Sir!" sound="soopaha_yes2.mp3"/>
<comm key="yes" caption="Yes Sir!" sound="soopaha_yes3.mp3"/>
<comm key="traitor" caption="You traitor! Traitor!" sound="soopaha_traitor1.mp3"/>
<comm key="watchit" caption="You idiot! You're shooting me!" sound="soopaha_watchit1.mp3"/>
<comm key="watchit" caption="You're shooting me you idiot!" sound="soopaha_watchit2.mp3"/>

<comm key="watchit" caption="You idiot! You're shooting me!" sound="soopaha_watchit3.mp3"/>
<comm key="watchit" caption="You're shooting me you fool." sound="soopaha_watchit4.mp3"/>

</comms>

I didn't think the above was the problem as scripted comm messages crashed as well. Though I've done some messing around and have gotten scripted comms to work.

Code:
Comm_playVideo("soopaha_trap1.mp3", "WC_Soopaha.avi", "Soopaha", IFF_FRIEND, "Sorry about sticking you in a Ferret. Think of it as insurance incase you a leading us into a trap.");

Code:
Comm_playVideo("soopaha_trap1.mp3", "WC_Soopaha.avi", "Soopaha", IFF_FRIEND, "Sorry about sticking you in a Ferret. Think of it as insurance incase you a leading us into a trap.", "$soopaha");

The first which I originally had will crash the game. The second wont, however the captions don't show up. :eek: It's odd, since in the last executable you released for 1.5 had the feature of showing which ship was communicating while still being backward compatible.

Back