Important: Update your video card drivers. Really !

PopsiclePete

Mission programmer
One thing I often see since the release of Episode 5, people having trouble running the game with the new visual effects turned on even if they have pretty good video cards. Let me tell you this:

Update your video card drivers.

The thing is, Standoff now uses the lastest OpenGL dev toolkits that were released in May, so even if you think your driver is good because you got the lastest just a few months ago, really, it's not.

New GPU question.

The last time I played standoff I was on a P4 system with a GeForce 6800 and it seemed to play just fine. Now I read the graphics recommendations in the FAQ and they surprised me as it seems have you made more improvements than I thought. As such I just wanted to confirm. With the NVIDIA 8.15.11.8618 drivers my new GTX 275 equipped system should be able to play the upgraded version of standoff at full settings at 1920x1200 or am I worrying over nothing?

Standoff has changed a lot since the previous episode. We do know you wouldn't be able to get it running smoothly with everything enabled with that 6800 you used to have.

..But as for the GTX 275... we don't know. It's gonna be up to you to tell us :). We're not a professional team, we don't have access to all these different cards during testing, and I don't think we've had any opportunity to test it on a GTX 275. I would hope it can do just fine... but honestly, I don't even know what a GTX 275 is :p. Stupid graphics card manufacturers constantly changing their naming schemes to confuse us...

Standoff has changed a lot since the previous episode. We do know you wouldn't be able to get it running smoothly with everything enabled with that 6800 you used to have.

..But as for the GTX 275... we don't know. It's gonna be up to you to tell us :). We're not a professional team, we don't have access to all these different cards during testing, and I don't think we've had any opportunity to test it on a GTX 275. I would hope it can do just fine... but honestly, I don't even know what a GTX 275 is :p. Stupid graphics card manufacturers constantly changing their naming schemes to confuse us...

Thank for the reply. I guess I will have to be the tester on this one. I will get back to you on how it fares.

Well, GTX 285 works maxed out on 1024x768 resolution (haven't tried wide screen yet however), probably would work on higher resolutions as well.

Edit: yep works with max settings even with highest resolution....dang it sure is pretty.

Just tried the first mission of episode 5 and the first Simulator mission and they worked fine at max. I probably should go back and restart from the beginning however. It has been so long that I am having to get the hang of the differences in shield strength and such all over again. I also saw what you mean by the game crashing. Happened the second time I ran a mission. One other thing is the the new pilots lounge screen is not displaying. I still have the one from episode 4.

Out of curiousity, anyone yet tested on a Radeon HD 4850? Or at least HD 4000 series?

It works on all recent cards, but there is a catch using your card manufactors drivers or the general ones from ATI; If you manage to install catalyst drivers on a clean installation, it runs fine.

My problem is this; My favorite gaming rig next to a console is a pentium4D Jack of all trades, HT, ext64 the works, stable as hell and able to run just about every game(plus I can feed just about any type media to it, floppy discs excluded). I upgraded the system with ASUS AH3450HD/512MB on AGP(Ati does not support this card rigged up by asus, so I am dependent on asus drivers), And now I can not even get SO to run properly anymore; Both standoff and SO start up with the title screen, the intro music and dialogue start, and keyboard and mouse get locked out.

From the ATI forum I understood that the catalyst driver error with my specific card only occurs under XP, so I think this weekend would be a good oppurtunity to switch to windows 7.

I will be playing the game on my gaming setup, and am willing to report any issues I encounter; I have the following hardware on hand to play around with;

Dell Lattitude D820 notebook with Nvidia Quadro GPU option(256MB), Windows XP SP3, 2GB RAM. Dx9.0c
Selfbuild Athlon64x2 3800, Ati Radeon x800 PCI-e(256mb), Windows XP64 SP2, 4Gb RAM. DX9.0c

I will be playing on:
Converted HP evo D530C(P4D(emt64), Ati Radeon AH3450HD(512mb) AGP,Windows 7, 4GB RAM. DX10.1

If you want I am willing to do some testing to cool my guns while I tried to complete a mission five times over :p

(and if you are wondering why i use the compaq for gaming, it is the only system that looks decent in the living room where I have the big screen, and best sound)

using a Radeon 4780 X2, recent driver and cataclyst control center.
Having invisible ships or worse just black screens (-> HDR enabled). Of course only when Ep 5 is installed. This SSSSSOOOO sounds like a driver problem but as I stated, I got the recent ones.

Could it be that ATI just doesn't have a driver capable of running this?

Running other OpenGL games no prob.

It could be an ATI issue (it certainly seems that way). I've mentioned it to Alex and he plans to look at it in the future.

doesn't work, it's INVISIBLE SHIPS NO MATTER THE SETTING.
Downloading and reinstalling my driver, just in case.

Feedback tomorrow.

doesn't work, it's INVISIBLE SHIPS NO MATTER THE SETTING.
Downloading and reinstalling my driver, just in case.

Feedback tomorrow.

Try this option(works on my X800 card),
In catalyst control centre; look down the setting branching tree for "3D", there go to "More settings", and "Alternate pixel centre". (Or something like that, I'm running the dutch version of Catalyst on that system), this fixed the weird garbled floating nebula way in the distance, distortion of the landing bays, and weird misdrawings(white lines between textures) of the capships close by.

It could be an ATI issue (it certainly seems that way). I've mentioned it to Alex and he plans to look at it in the future.
If I may ask, what video cards did you have available for testing? Maybe it's worth starting a new thread to compile a list of cards which are known to work/fail? Unless, of course, we have both conditions with different people with the same card.

Back