Homefront

Bigt028

Rear Admiral
anyone get this for xbox? I actually just finished the book version "Homefront The Voice of Freedom" and really enjoyed it. knowing full well that it was co authored by John Milius, the director of Red Dawn...
the book did a great job of explaining the back story of the how and when this happened to the US.
i was curious to know if the game is worth the price...the lowest i have seen it was for $49 and i missed that sale..back up to $59..there were mixed reviews so i wanted to see how you thought. thanks

Haven't played it myself but the consensus seems to be that the single player isn't too bad on the short side, and the multiplayer is decent but nothing extraordinary.

I have it. IMHO if you're going to play the multiplayer a fair amount it could definitely be worth it, but the single player experience is seriously not all that its cracked up to be. If I were to recommend it to anyone, i would say its a good title if you can get it at a decent used price, I wouldn't pay more that $30 for it.

I heard that too that the single player is very short..but it still looks fun. I am waiting for the price to drop...still at the $59 mark...hopefully it will go on sale...Thanks

Never tried the multiplayer, but I played through the single player a couple times (finished the campaign in one sitting on the first play) and found it be an enjoyable blast.

Good action, gameplay and story - the helicopter section was cool.

I would recommend HF, but not at full price as the single player will last only 4-5 hours.

i am waiting a little longer, hoping the price will come down more...thanks for the updates, i cant wait to play it, sad that you can finish in one sitting....

Bought it on PC and while I initially enjoyed it the game was quickly ruined multiplayer-wise by hacks. It was so bad that most lobbies were empty within the first 2 weeks of the game being out and I haven't ever bothered playing it again.

Nice idea but no policing whatsoever. They relied on VAC to be their watchdog and that thing is garbage.

Great world, horrible length, multiplayers ok for a few days, Single player is a Magikarp at level 1

7 chapters, and they pad the game by making the enemies dumber than bricks but accurate than your average character. The story itself is pretty self-explanatory. You're a resistance fighter who has to give supplies to the US Marines who are planning an assault on the western seaboard of the U.S.

The Korean back story is odd, but seems like it could be believable in a movie (wink wink Red Dawn-remake changed the main oppressor to the North Koreans instead of the Chinese). There are a few loose ends that never get tied up, like for example: the entire main storyline of the game. Also how the USS John C. Stennis got to Lake Tahoe(that is the single most baffling thing ever). The setting is nice, lots of post-oil suburbs, pre-rendered skybox labor camps, and a few cutesy little licensed restaurant chains. Also the 30 minute long tour of the "Modern community" post-oil suburban hideout.

The game has it's moments, Mortar strikes that go wrong, the opening statement that makes sure you root for the Americans and not the Koreans who are, well, evil. However, the moments start to dissipate pretty rapidly.

The Multiplayer, at first sight, is good enough. The Phased-line King-of-the-hill hybrid is a pretty fun play, but the map mechanics make some of the maps sniper havens or vehicle impound lots with a tank on one side and 6 Humvee without gunners on the other. The Kill-streak system is actually pretty innovative, It takes the CoD concept approach but instead of earning points just for doing things, those points actually count toward you getting anything from a Recon Drone, a UAV Hellfire run, or even the humble flak jacket. It's hard as hell, even on PC with mouse controls, because the guns are notoriously inaccurate unless you've got the right perks.

There's the usual amount of customization, but instead of sights and colors, you get types of red-dots, Acogs, and whatever else you can power through to unlock. There are plenty of perks to be found, most insanely useless, but serve their purpose in certain situations. The weapons are pretty cool and the games can get quite fun when you're just playing the Recon drone guy, but with all the fun comes caveats in the amount of quality servers and the legitimacy of most opposing players.

It's ambitious, but it fell quite flat. The single player would take my little brother 3-4 hours tops to beat on the harder difficulties. The game itself lends more toward the credence that this a world to behold for a short period of time, rather than a world to get lost in like other Resistance-type games(i.e. MoH: Underground)

Kaos Studios have done one other game of note, and that was another future-epic game called Frontlines: Fuel of War. Which dealt with a severely altered premise, but was just as short and just as hard in it's Battlefield-type setting.

Homefront was a logical step from Frontline, and a step made well, but going from a mediocre game to a game that was universally hyped to be the single greatest FPS ever, is not the way to go. However, we'll be seeing more of Homefront thanks to the overwhelming amount of Press, Pre-orders, and Purchases it got.

THQ has a new FPS IP, but where it goes I have no idea.

interesting, i just read that post and it was Charlie Sheen who was in Red Dawn...not Emilio!!!!
also the book does a pretty good job setting up the "why and how" this could happen...
i still plan on getting it, hope others with the game want to multiplay..i will let you know.thanks

The great irony being that one of the writers of Homefront - John Milius - also wrote and directed the original Red Dawn... and properly denounced the remake as bullshit.

http://www.hollywood.com/news/Milius_takes_aim_at_Red_Dawn_remake/6837038

From what I understand, they changed the antagonist within days just before Homefront's launch date.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-china-red-dawn-20110316,0,995726.story

It didn't have anything to do with Homefront, but it seemed like an odd coincidence. Then again, I mean, John Milius has room to balk. He co-wrote the script for the original with Kevin Reynolds, who directed Waterworld.

Also, if you look back on who's writing the script for the new Red Dawn: Passmore(rookie), Tony Gilroy (Bourne movies, Michael Clayton), and Carl Ellsworth (Red Eye, Disturbia), it seems like it will be one of those movies that deals more on the intrigue and espionage involved in resistance fighting/evasion then "Avenge Me. Boys. AVENNNNNNNNNNGEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

So it's yet to be seen, you never know. Granted it'll never wash the memories of drinking blood to become a man.

From what I understand, they changed the antagonist within days just before Homefront's launch date.
Hmph. I wonder if this explains Crysis as well.

You know, I can understand the business perspective, they want to sell stuff in China and all that. But changing the enemy to North Korea is... well, it's like making a game or film about the Sicilian mafia terrorising a city, and then at the last minute replacing the mafia with a "gang" of bed-wetting five-year-olds.

It just doesn't work.

The lesson, I guess, is that if you can't afford to lose business with China, stick with Mid-East terrorists and Russian nationalists. However worn-out and cliche they may be, at least they retain some remote degree of plausibility.

Back