High Res Secret Ops problem

• Thread starter Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date Start date
U

Unregistered

It works fine... except... the main cerberus room picture is corrupted or something, theres double images of everything you can click on (the briefing room door, the video moniters on the central console, the spinning cerberus holo), one of the double images is animated, the other is still... its wierd... anyone else have this problem? Because its not listed as a known bug on HCI's site and in the discpriction for the Hi-Res patch it says the images includeing the cerberus room have been resized, which implies it works fine for him...

I've tryed reinstalling SO & the patch, I even happened to get a new vid card the other day (was a voodoo3, now a Geforce 4ti), but the bug remains...

Anyone have a fix? or any ideas?

Are you running in 32-bits mode ? This mode may not suit every video card, and even so the in-game display will corrupt if you task-switch out of the game and back. Do you have a launcher prog or something that could take windows focus after the video for SO has been initialized ? Try running the standard 16-bits mode. If it works, we'll know how to work this out.

I've tryed in 32 bit & 16 bit mode, and when I had the voodoo3, in glide mode, the corruption exsists in all modes. No nothing is stealing focus, I havent even ever been able to alt-tab outta SO when I wanted to lol.

I have figured out one thing tho, I tryed turning the resoultion on the patch down to 640x480, and the room looks normal at that res, but at 800x600 it is corrupted as I explained. I'd test at 1024x768 but my old monitor doesnt go up that high :\ (its next on my list of puter upgrades lol)

If I didnt know better i'd say it was a bug in the high res patch useing higher then original resoultions, but on HCI's site he says he fixed all the images to display correctly at all resoultions in the patch.

Hrm... I was having that problem a couple of months ago. Unfortunately it was on a copy of SO that I'd ripper apart and modified, so I figured it was something I'd done and just bit the bullet and threw a clean install of SO onto a different drive and put the patch on that... it worked fine.

Current installations of SO: 3

when it happened to me I just changed the rez to 640x480 (no more problems but then whats the point of the patch so continue on.) it only effected me while i had the sim mission manager which took over the killboard on. When I downloaded the mission manager that the UE team used and has on thier site that changes it to the escape door (don't worry you can quit by the menu that comes up when pressing escape.) I think its located in the Tutorial section of their site (it's part of the first download on that page). you need to put the ceberus.rom in the mission section and boot up. should fix things.

Of course ! Locke's simulator for SO patch is really just a modified room file to add the simulator (along with some sim missions). The Hi-Res patch needs new room files for each resolutions over 640x480 (640 being the original resolution), so you cannot use Locke's patch over the Hi-Res patch. You'd better uninstall everything (you can keep the history and save folders along with autosave.gsw, replay.gsw) and clean reinstall SO and then apply only the Hi-Res patch.

Another possibility: do you have multiple installations of SO ? Contrary to what TC said, you can only have 1 *fully* working installation of SO, since the folder where where you install SO is set in the registry at install time, so the right DLLs can be loaded. The only way of having more than one installation working (witch is probably TC's case if all 3 installs are working) is to have the same version of the game binaries on all the installs, so that SO installed in the Z folder will work loading it's DLLs and stuff from the X folder, etc. This means, for example, that the same version of the Hi-Res patch would have to be applied to the 3 installations for all 3 to work *right*.

Originally posted by PopsiclePete
Of course ! Locke's simulator for SO patch is really just a modified room file to add the simulator (along with some sim missions). The Hi-Res patch needs new room files for each resolutions over 640x480 (640 being the original resolution), so you cannot use Locke's patch over the Hi-Res patch. You'd better uninstall everything (you can keep the history and save folders along with autosave.gsw, replay.gsw) and clean reinstall SO and then apply only the Hi-Res patch.

Another possibility: do you have multiple installations of SO ? Contrary to what TC said, you can only have 1 *fully* working installation of SO, since the folder where where you install SO is set in the registry at install time, so the right DLLs can be loaded. The only way of having more than one installation working (witch is probably TC's case if all 3 installs are working) is to have the same version of the game binaries on all the installs, so that SO installed in the Z folder will work loading it's DLLs and stuff from the X folder, etc. This means, for example, that the same version of the Hi-Res patch would have to be applied to the 3 installations for all 3 to work *right*.

In reference to me (as you mentioned the problem with the locke sim manager I mentioned.) I fixed my problem I was offering the solution I took to fix it to the unregistered person who asked. I have no problems fixing or getting a addon to work. I just don't have a clue on how to make my own.

Originally posted by DoomsdayPlague
when it happened to me I just changed the rez to 640x480 (no more problems but then whats the point of the patch so continue on.) it only effected me while i had the sim mission manager which took over the killboard on. When I downloaded the mission manager that the UE team used and has on thier site that changes it to the escape door (don't worry you can quit by the menu that comes up when pressing escape.) I think its located in the Tutorial section of their site (it's part of the first download on that page). you need to put the ceberus.rom in the mission section and boot up. should fix things.

Well I tryed the cerberus.rom from that UE tutorial file (thanks btw, i've been looking for the exit door patch for SOSIM for quite awile), but the corrupted picture remains. When I 1st posted I did'nt even know you could access the simulator from the Hi-Res patch, SOSIM uses it's own sercretop.exe exectuable so I just assumed it would'nt work with Hi-Res, but I guess HCI changed the Hi-Res executable to look for SOSIM and use it if its installed. So I tryed removeing SOSIM and trying the Hi-Res patch by itself, and the picture looks fine, I guess HCI just missed the Hi-Res/SOSIM crouption bug, oh well, just a minor thing, was just wondering why it looked funny lol, thanks guys :)

Originally posted by PopsiclePete
Contrary to what TC said, you can only have 1 *fully* working installation of SO, since the folder where where you install SO is set in the registry at install time, so the right DLLs can be loaded. The only way of having more than one installation working (witch is probably TC's case if all 3 installs are working) is to have the same version of the game binaries on all the installs, so that SO installed in the Z folder will work loading it's DLLs and stuff from the X folder, etc. This means, for example, that the same version of the Hi-Res patch would have to be applied to the 3 installations for all 3 to work *right*.

Or you could have a couple of different Windows boots... which is what I've got on this system.

Originally posted by TC
Or you could have a couple of different Windows boots... which is what I've got on this system.
Whoa ! Why do you keep 3 Windows ? Is it 3 different versions of Windows ?

Maybe Win98, Win NT or 2000, and WinXP (I always liked its code name during its creating: Whistler. I guessed they changed it because it makes you think of whistle blower making you think there spying on you. Which I'm Pretty sure they are anyway) on three different partitions and boots, eh TC?:cool:

I have my main Windows 98 partition that I used pretty much all the time... then I have a ME partition I installed a while back to see if I wanted to bother actually upgrading... and I have copy of 95 on a hard drive I pulled out of an old computer and didn't bother reformatting.

Back