help please wc1

It's really not that hard to find DOS drivers for CD-ROMs and Sound Cards... (even better if they're Creative. They even gave me DOS drivers with my CD-RW
smile.gif
)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi thanks guys i really appreciate your help
Ok this is what appears
Sound and video game controllers
ES1869 Control Interface (WDM)
ES1869 Plug and Play Audiodrive (WDM)
Gameport Joystick
Wave device for voice Modem
CD ROM
Hitachi DVD-ROM GD-2500

Hi i've gone to the Above site and downloaded something?
When i clicked on the exe file afterwards it came up with finished ?????
I then tried the essvol.exe and it said i cannot find audio drive i don't really know what i'm doing here no surprise there.
If it is gonna be easier to not run it off CD why don't we try that cause this seems complicated.

As Always the Col.

The file you downloaded was an archive; double-clicking it just extracted the files from that archive, which is why it just said "finished." So, here's what you do:
Start up a DOS prompt and type the following:

CD \
MD ESS

You should now have a new directory (folder) on your hard drive labelled C:\ESS. Move the .exe file you downloaded to this directory and double-click on it. Tell us which files appear there.

THis is not working tried what you told me and it comes up with ver 5.2 finished tried the vol.exe and itsays cannot find audiodrive.

Don't bother with vol.exe for now; that comes later.

Which file did you download? PNPCFG.ZIP is the one you were supposed to get.

Did you unzip it to its own directory? If so, then it's time to continue to the next step.

Go to Start->Programs and look for the entry labelled "MS-DOS Prompt." Right-drag (right-click-and-hold) it onto the desktop and select Copy. You should now have a new shortcut on the desktop labelled "MS-DOS Prompt."

Right-click on the shortcut and select Properties. Then, hit the Program tab, and click on the Advanced button. Select the following:

MS-DOS Mode
Specify a new MS-DOS configuration

The two text fields should be active now. Tell us what's in them.

OK SO FAR SO GOOD
CONFIG.SYS

DOS=HIGH,UMB
Device=C:\WINDOWS\Himem.Sys

AUTOEXEC.BAT

SET TMP=c:\windows\TEMP
SET TEMP=C:\windows\TEMP
SET PROMPT=$p$g
SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;c:\windows;c:\windows\COMMAND

The Colonel

Hmm... looks like either we'll have to go and get the CD-ROM drivers, or simply have it run from the HD. What d'ya think, TC?

HDD... I couldn't find DOS drivers and I don't really feel like using generic drivers (Or getting them set up just to discover that more memory is needed
smile.gif
)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Ah... The Guru asks his apprentice for advice.

...And the apprentice answered truly.

Rejoice, Guru Stinger. Thou hast trained thy apprentice well.

grin.gif

OOo. Kewt killie grin!
biggrin.gif

Lt Col Cannon: The deciding factor is free space on your HD. Go to "My Computer" then right-click on one of your HDs (usually C: is fine) and then select "Properties". Then you can see how much free space there is. You actually don't need to go into properties if you have the Explorer's "view as HTML" option turned on.

I can't take the responsibility for the Killie smiley, I'm afraid. The Kilrathi smileys are the product of one known as Steampunk. And there's one for every occasion. Here are just two of the others:

cool.gif
mad.gif

All of these can be found here. And you use them by providing a link to the appropriate image.

Look on the CD for a folder named WC1 and copy it to your hard drive.

Did you unzip the sound drivers to C:\ESS yet? If not, do so now.

Now, it's time to edit the shortcut that we put on your desktop a while back. Right-click on it and select Properties. Then, hit the Program tab, followed by the Advanced button. Delete everything that is currently in the two fields and replace it with the following:

config.sys:

DOS=HIGH,UMB,NOAUTO
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384
FILESHIGH=25
BUFFERSHIGH=25

autoexec.bat:

@ECHO OFF
SET PROMPT $P$G
SET PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND

Hit OK until you're back to the desktop.

With these settings, WC1 should run, but you won't yet have sound or mouse control. Before I can help with either of those, I'll need some more info from you.

Double-click on the shortcut. It'll reboot your computer and leave you at a DOS prompt. Type the following:

CD \ESS
ESSCFG /?

Tell me what you see.

Back