Help getting Privateer working

steampunk

Spaceman
When I try and run Priv I get a "Not enough Dos memory" error.

config.sys:
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384
DOS=HIGH
DOS=UMB
FILES=50
BUFFERS=50
LASTDRIVE=K
DEVICE=C:\CDPRO\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001
device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys

autoexec.bat:
@PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\PROGRA~1\WIN98RK;%PATH%
SET SOUND=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\AWE64
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6
PROMPT $P$G
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\TEXMF\MIKTEX\BIN;C:\PROGRA~1\WIN98RK;C:\JAVA\BIN
SET CLASSPATH=C:\JAVA\BIN\MOCHA.ZIP;C:\JAVA\BIN\SR.ZIP;C:\JAVA\ASS2\SJ.ZIP;C:\JAVA\ASS2\;
rem - By Windows Setup - C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 /V
mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850

dosstart.bat:
C:\WINDOWS\CTCM
c:\logitech\mouse\mouse.exe
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 /V

Ummm... Try this. Make a shortcut to priv.exe with the autoexec.bat and config.sys settings set up like this.

Autoexec.bat:
SET SOUND=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\AWE64
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 /V
LH c:\logitech\mouse\mouse.exe

Config.sys:
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384
dos=high,umb
files=30
buffers=50
Lastdrive=K
DEVICE HIGH=C:\CDPRO\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001

If this doesn't work and you don't need the mouse try removing the LH c:\logitech\mouse\mouse.exe line. If that doesn't work come back and we can try it without the CD-ROM.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Wow, someone actually knew exactly what info to give me.... Since these changes won't be sweeping changes, you can simply change your actual configuration files.

Well, here's what you gotta do:

In CONFIG.SYS:
Change the DEVICE on the EMM386 line to DEVICEHIGH
change FILES=50 to FILESHIGH=30
change BUFFERS=50 to BUFFERSHIGH=30
change the last DEVICE to DEVICEHIGH

In AUTOEXEC.BAT:
Nothing; it's fine as is.

In DOSSTART.BAT:
put LH in front of all lines

Now, I noticed you're using one of the AWE cards; you'll have to use the AWEUTIL to get your MIDI working.

TC: Now, my apprentice, just for fun, I'm going to debunk your solution.
wink.gif

In this case, his system is already so close to being set up for Priv1 that a shortcut should be completely unnecessary. In creating your shortcut configuration, you got rid of the country-specific stuff, some of which can be very important (keyboard configurations and so forth). Additionally, the number you left him with for buffers is too high; Priv doesn't really require more than 25 or 30, and higher buffers setting eat up RAM VERY FAST. Speaking of files and buffers, you didn't append HIGH to the end of either of those, which places some of the implementation into high memory. You also forgot to append HIGH to the DEVICE on the EMM386 line. And what's this I'm seeing on the CD-ROM line??? "DEVICE HIGH"??? What's that space doing there? You fool!
wink.gif
Finally, you neglected the fact that he's using a Sound Blaster AWE card, which requires the call to CTCM to work in DOS.

But, my apprentice, you are showing some signs of improvement... perhaps in another two hundred years or so you'll be ready. Maybe.

(Disclaimer: all of the above was said in jest (although each point is valid))

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help. But before I try anything I'd like to ask: Will this solution also help me free 581K of RAM? I'm trying to get Master of Magic working too.

Yes, I'm a poor colledge student who has to resort to playing old games rather than buying new ones
frown.gif

If you copy the Privateer CD files to your hard drive and edit the priv.cfg file, you can REM out the DEVICE=C:\CDPRO\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001 line and free up a bit more memory like that. With a bit more tweaking, you should definitely be able to free up 580k, since Priv itself needs about 560k.

------------------
Barrie "Cpl Hades" Almond
balmond@wcnews.com

TC : Good news and bad news. The Bad news is that your suggestion didn't work. The good news is that Stinger's didn't work either
smile.gif

I still get a "Not enough DOS memory" error.

Any other suggestions? Besides Cpl Hades'?

Well... How much memory have you got free right now? Chances are, Hades' suggestion will help. But are you using the CD version of Priv? If so, then you'll need to copy it to the hard drive.

[This message has been edited by Quarto (edited February 08, 2000).]

Bit of clarification, regarding copying files.

For the CD versions, the only files you need to copy are priv.tre and rf.tre

For what to do...
<OL TYPE=1>
<LI>Copy priv.tre and rf.tre (or just Priv.tre... dunno if rf.tre needs priv.* to work) to your privater directory.
<LI> Open up priv.cfg or rf.cfg in your prefered text editor (notepad, edit.com, or whatever).
<LI>Change the files so that it points to your hard drive copy of the relevant file, and save.
<LI>In your specialized autoexec.bat and config.sys files for Priv/RF, put "rem" in front of the CD driver in config.sys, and in front of the mscdex driver call in autoexec.bat, making them into remarks that the system will ignore when booting to your new Priv/RF setup.
</OL>

And, on a related note, since you have Logitech mouse drivers, you may wish to get the cloaking.exe file from the install file/floppies, and follow the readme.txt instructions on how to activate that (short form: entry in autoexec.bat, before your mouse driver is loaded). It'll load your mouse driver high, leaving only like a 1KB 'hook' in main memory. In my personal experience it doesn't work too well in Windows (makes Explorer unstable on my machine), but with a specialized boot configuration, Windows will reboot the machine after you're done running the program for which the specialized configuration was made, loading up in the normal manner for your system.

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

[This message has been edited by Death (edited February 08, 2000).]

Didn't work, eh? Looks like we're gonna have to nuke the CD-ROM drivers, as is already explained above. Since you're doing that, you're gonna want to create a shortcut or a boot disk. If you need instructions on that, just post here. Just a note on the files: you only need to copy RF.TRE if you plan on playing Righteous Fire.

YAAAY! Made a bootdisk. Works. Now all I need is a cheap joystick.
Question about aweutil:
what do I put in my autoexec so that I don't have to set aweutil every time manually?

Alternately, you could forgo having music activated, and skip the aweutil stuff altogether, as it's only needed to initialize the card for MIDI (like Priv/RF's musical score). Usually that's how I play it, as I've got my own music. (Metallica [pre-'black'] while partying in with the kats near the end of RF... prime a**-kicking music.
cool.gif
)

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

"AWEUTIL /S" should be after CTCM, and both of those should be after the three SETs (SOUND, MIDI, BLASTER).

Just out of interest how much does the Logitech mouse driver take? You can check by typing "mem /c" at the DOS prompt, but you'll need to type "mode 80 50" to see the whole list. On my system I count 91KB free upper mem of which 35KB is taken up by the system, 36KB gets eaten by MSCDEX and 11KB for the CDROM driver. The (Genius) mouse driver takes 9KB.

Stinger: DEVICEHIGH on EMM386.EXE? What on Earth ever made you suggest that? EMM386 does the UMB management and can't be placed HIGH anyway. And a shortcut is a better solution. Looks like the apprentice has outmastered the master. =)

[This message has been edited by Matrix (edited February 11, 2000).]

Actually, DEVICEHIGH on EMM386 puts it into Extended Memory, which is allocated with HIMEM.SYS. It's HIMEM.SYS that can't be DEVICEHIGHed. Try it yourself: try with DEVICE and with DEVICEHIGH; you'll see that a bit more conv mem is freed up with the DEVICEHIGH.

Okay I will double check, but if I recall, a setup with only HIMEM and EMM386 (set as DEVICEHIGH) showed 0 bytes in HIGH mem.

Back