Happy Birthday CIC! (August 10, 2018)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
The CIC is now officially 20 years old! Time flies when you're having fun. We opened up wcnews.com on August 10, 1998 and never would have imagined we'd still be here all these years later. We've seen this milestone approaching over the last few years, but it's kind of mind blowing that it's finally here. What makes it so impressive is everything the community continues to do. Just look at the last couple weeks of news: there's multiple innovative hacks/mods to Wing Commander 1, gorgeous creative art, newly recovered movie footage, new programming tools, discovery of easter eggs and some great fan projects. And just last month we finished out the Baen ebook series. Thanks for being here with us to enjoy it all.

We're very much looking forward to the party, which will take place a week from tomorrow on Discord. Set your calendars for Saturday, August 18, 2018 at 7:00 pm EDT (4:00 pm PDT and 11:00 pm GMT). Here's your invite, and we'll see you there!

--
Original update published on August 10, 2018

Twenty years of updates. A big chunk of that, daily updates. For a series that hasn't seen a new game since 2007, and hasn't seen any full-scaled AAA games released since even before the CIC's launch, that is remarkable dedication and longevity.

As seems to be practically standard for the last few years, I probably will not be able to show up, or at best - I might briefly show up at the start of the party and then disappear. Family life and other commitments aren't conducive to staying up late, and now that I'm back in Poland, the party only begins at 1 AM our time. Even if I don't show up - especially if I don't show up - happy birthday to the CIC, and my congratulations to everyone contributing, both currently and in the past. Even setting up the CIC was a huge achievement. Keeping it going all this time was even bigger. Keeping it going and constantly expanding, that's just amazing.

Here's a fun fact, to illustrate what a mainstay role the CIC holds for Wing Commander fans. In all of the 19 years I've been visiting, on all the various computers I've used over the years, I have never, ever actually bothered to save a "favourites" link to the CIC. Why would I? Favourites are sites I save for later, so I don't forget. For the CIC, I visit so often (no longer daily, but still often), that all I need to do is enter "w" into the address bar, and already autocomplete knows exactly where I want to go.

Happy Birthday, CIC! May the next 20 years are full of good surprises, and even new friends! and who knows, a General and moddable Source port for all DOS WC games :)

Here's a fun fact, to illustrate what a mainstay role the CIC holds for Wing Commander fans. In all of the 19 years I've been visiting, on all the various computers I've used over the years, I have never, ever actually bothered to save a "favourites" link to the CIC. Why would I? Favourites are sites I save for later, so I don't forget. For the CIC, I visit so often (no longer daily, but still often), that all I need to do is enter "w" into the address bar, and already autocomplete knows exactly where I want to go.
The CIC is my browser's homepage and has been for... well, ever since I've got my own internet access :D

Happy Birthday CIC!!

Contrary to Quarto :)P), i have the CIC in my favorites, it is the oldest favorite link i have and i visit the webpage many times a week since....dont know, cant remember, maybe more than 15 years and less than 20.
Hell, i remember browsing here from my old times in dial-up.

Happy birthday CIC!

And I'm with Quarto on this one: I never had and still don't have the CIC-site as a favourite for exactly the same reason. It'd be unnecessary! And yes, wcnews.com was the single reason why I "joined" the internet at all. Thanks for all the good years and great updates (swapping out Bossmann for Hobbes, genius!) and may many more come!

Back