Gunner...? (don't yell)

Deadman

Spaceman
I have a question. In WC2-WCP you have AI controled turrents yet for some reason in Privateer 1 you have to control the turrent yourself. It just kinda sucks since even if you spend the money to place the turrents on your ship and put the best guns on it it's really just useless as a defensive weapon. Why couldn't the programers put AI in the turrents like the other games or at least allow you to hire gunners for the more difficult missions. 200 credits or so would be an ok fee for a service such as that.

-----------
You might be a redneck if...Your family tree does not fork.

I thought all turrets fire to some degree, but are more accurate when you control them.

Wouldn't it be a sight to watch a fighter take on a Devastator with 5 human controlled turrets, plus a pilot? WOW

Deadman: There is no logical explanation. Perhaps they had planned to do so, and didn't get around to it. Like many other Origin products, Privateer was not exactly complete when it shipped...

But in Priv, you never relly had more than 5 other ships after you. You could take the time to control your turrets. Not that I ever did ... but I could have
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Steampunk: They were pretty useless for the player. The only time I've ever used turrets was when I was doing a patrol, and was so sick of Retros that I didn't want to bother killing them. I'd set my course for the next nav point, get in the rear turret, and try to be very persuasive with the plasma guns
smile.gif
. Trouble with that was that you kept moving away from the enemy...
On the other hand, I've often watched a Drayman smash whole bucketloads of pirates
smile.gif
. Wasn't too happy about that, actually. I'm friendly with the merchants, so I can't attack them. But if a merchant dies, his cargo belongs to whoever gets it
smile.gif
. And the pirates wouldn't mind... I'm friendly with them, too. Wait a minute... I'm also friendly (more like neutral, lately) with Confed and the Militia. And the Hunters... For a privateer, I have a lot of friends, non?
wink.gif

PopsiclePete: Indeed. I always found it interesting though, how there was never more than one ejection pod... Did the gunners know that while the pilot had a failsafe, they were doomed?

In the various main games your turretted fighters had crews of several people who manned the guns. You don't have this in Privateer... (G)

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
( loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

Have you cheated ? A few years ago (I had too much time on my hands) I hex edited my Privateer savegame to be friend with EVERY group. Militia, Confed, Pirated, Merchants, Kilrathis AND Retros
smile.gif
the only glitch was whenever you commed a Retro (or whenever you where commed by a Retro) the game froze. There is no friendly comm files for the Retros in Privateer. I suppose they didn't want it to happend. Never.
wink.gif

Ehection pods for the gunners ? Yeah, I though of that too. Made me feel important to be the only one that could eject
smile.gif
Maybe the game deseigners didn't think about that one.

------------------
PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete's WC Page : http://members.xoom.com/PopsiclePete
E-mail : PopsiclePete@angelfire.com

Visit HCl's WC editing Archives

I thought up to WCP all of the fighter/bomber craft had human gunners. That is why the turrents looked so bulbus. So the gunner could see what it was shooting after. In WCP however the turrents are controled by the bombers computer. This saves on space and wight so you can have havier armor, shields, and carry a heavier payload not to mention you put fewer lives at risk. I believe it is mentioned somewhere in the manual also.

-------------
You might be a redneck if...Your baby's first words are "Attention K-Mart shoppers."

I'm fairly sure that all turrets, up *through* WCP are human-controlled -- note the stuff about how a computer can't accurately target a gun in the WCIV novel.

------------------
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick

The Wing Commander CIC

PopsiclePete: Nope. I didn't cheat. It just happened. Mostly because around the time that Lynch erases your record, I was too fed up with the pirates to bother fighting them. Hell, the only killing I do in Priv these days is an occasional romp through the Kilrathi systems.

I think about at the time of WC3, the turrets were automated, and controllable by the pilot if necessary.

Why else would Blair threaten Maniac that he had a turret(malfunction?) The idea being that there would be no proof or witnesses to contradict a malfunctioning turret.

Turrets were *definately* not automated through WCIV -- given the fact that the WCIV novel talks about how it's bad not to have a turret gunner in a T-bolt
smile.gif

------------------
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick

The Wing Commander CIC

I just don't think the people at Origin ever found turret controlling important *cough* SO's BFG *cough* they think that it doesn't really help and bad AI can't hurt *cough* shot in the back *cough*.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

TC: You should do something about that cough
smile.gif
I just think it's silly to have them say that computers can't control turrets, when our 20th century version has computer controlled turrets. Surely, by the time the 27th century comes about, computers will be at least as good as the ones right now
smile.gif

Nah, computers will never get better. People will just keep getting sloppier and sloppier with their code and the same program will take more resources. Just wait until MS Windows 2643 then you'll see
biggrin.gif

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Back