GOG Delisting Several EA Games (June 25, 2021)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
GOG.com has posted an update that they will be removing Ultima Underworld 1+2, Syndicate Plus and Syndicate Wars from their catalogue. Their note says this comes "(at) the publisher's request." Everything takes effect on Monday, and the company reiterates that prior purchases will remain available to download. It doesn't look like these are on Steam, Origin or any other digital platform, so they will be going offline.

It's an interesting change with certain implications. The Ultima Underworlds, along with Dungeon Keeper, joined Wing Commander Privateer as the first slate of EA games to come to the service ten years ago on June 2, 2011. Has some kind of ten year contract elapsed? If so, why would Privateer and Dungeon Keeper not be affected? Will they be removed at a later date? The WC games were parsed out over the period of a few years from June 2011 through November 2013, so we may be entering interesting times. Stay tuned for any updates!

The heavily discounted summer sale is in effect through this weekend though, so it might be a good idea to pick up those WC games now and make sure you're covered! They've recently added payment options for Apple Pay, Google Pay and other services to make it even easier to close the transaction.

We’d like to inform you that, on publisher's request, Ultima Underworld 1+2, Syndicate Plus and Syndicate Wars will be delisted from our catalog on Monday, June 28th, 1 PM UTC.

For everyone who purchased the titles prior to delisting, they will remain in their GOG library.

--
Original update published on June 25, 2021

i am not the one to ask.

But anything related to the EA play next month, and EA going back to use their Original Classic Logo?

luckily most of us got all of those and on disc....
I would bet relatively few of us actually do have the Ultima Underworld games or Syndicate series on disc, but that's not really the point. Most of the active gamers in the world right now (nor even back in the '90s!) did. By all accounts (GOG sales charts, YouTube reviews, conversations on Twitter, visitors to our Discord, etc, etc), the WC games and other classic Origin titles are very popular digitally. They sell very well to a new audience today, which is of course crucial for bringing in new blood. And even if you do own the physical copy, I haven't actively used a computer with a disk or CD drive in like eight years. The GOG versions are just the most convenient way to play.

that is true Chris, I just saying we have plenty old school, I'm a gog user myself but I also collected most of those on cd over the years and most WC / ultima and even Syndicate titles I had upon release since the 90's

I did not meant on disc only at all...

I picked up the entire Origin library just incase. Does anyone have any particular recommendations outside of the WC franchise?

I wonder if this is in any way related to the rumour / leak about EA reviving a popular franchise with a new title?

They have so many IP's from old defunct developers under their umbrella that it could refer to just about anything. Dead Space was mentioned by some reporters as a strong candidate, but it could be golden oldies like Syndicate, Wing Commander, or C&C as well.

Last edited:
It seems pretty firm now that it's Dead Space that the rumors were about and that'll be officially confirmed at EA Play on July 22

Makes sense. Dead Space is a certain big seller in this market; so long as they can get the review scores.

It seems pretty firm now that it's Dead Space that the rumors were about and that'll be officially confirmed at EA Play on July 22
OK, wasn't following the story that closely. Pity. I was hoping for the revival of a classic old franchise.

Hopefully they announce another C&C remaster too.

OK, wasn't following the story that closely. Pity. I was hoping for the revival of a classic old franchise.

Not sure what the definition of a classic old franchise is, but Dead Space 3, the last main game, is more than eight years old now. In other words, people in college today are generally too young to have been familiar with it. :)

And even if you do own the physical copy, I haven't actively used a computer with a disk or CD drive in like eight years. The GOG versions are just the most convenient way to play.

That may be true, but personally, I still have my old Windows 7 laptop with a CD/DVD drive and I plan to keep taking care of it even after I get a newer laptop. Also, being a mouse user, I like the Kilrathi Saga version of WC3 best : the original version of WC3 made afterburners almost useless for mouse users, and I like the additional fixes for the Blackmane losing path as well - those missions are finally winnable!

Syndicate is one of the best damn games I've ever played. Highest recommendation.

Syndicate Wars is flawed but its one of those things where its reach exceeds its grasp, which we don't get nearly enough of in games.

It makes you wonder why they removed it in the first place.

Not sure what the definition of a classic old franchise is, but Dead Space 3, the last main game, is more than eight years old now. In other words, people in college today are generally too young to have been familiar with it. :)
Eh, is this really true? I was 13 when I joined the CIC, and I'd been playing the games since I was six. I don't think I'm some weird outlier, a lot of people play the games as kids and have fond memories of them which probably is why EA is relaunching the series now.

Syndicate is one of the best damn games I've ever played. Highest recommendation.

Syndicate Wars is flawed but its one of those things where its reach exceeds its grasp, which we don't get nearly enough of in games.
What did you think of Satellite Reign? I picked it up at release but never got far in it.

Back