Go For a Quick Excalibur Run (January 27, 2022)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Alas, I think EA has more 'sure fire' franchises to bank on than to take a gamble on something 'long forgotten' like Wing Commander...

Very nicely done! This is truly an iconic ship.
Amen to this. Excalibur's proportions are just right, making it one of the most gorgeous scifi fighters ever IMO. Rapier and a few others are pretty iconic too, but Excalibur remains my franchise favourite.

Amen to this. Excalibur's proportions are just right, making it one of the most gorgeous scifi fighters ever IMO. Rapier and a few others are pretty iconic too, but Excalibur remains my franchise favourite.
Given that the design of the WC3 ships was apparently limited by the ability to represent them in 3D (hence all the flat surfaces), they sure came up with some great designs. Arrow and Hellcat V also count among my all-time favourite ships. On the Kirathi side, Dralthi IV and Vaktoth are also very memorable ships for me.

Given that the design of the WC3 ships was apparently limited by the ability to represent them in 3D (hence all the flat surfaces), they sure came up with some great designs. Arrow and Hellcat V also count among my all-time favourite ships. On the Kirathi side, Dralthi IV and Vaktoth are also very memorable ships for me.
Yep, these two Kat designs are quite great, though I kinda disagree with you on Hellcat, though in a more meta sense, Hellcat's design is very good IMO because it is so "meh" it fits perfectly the role in the fleet: "does the job, not too sexy but reliable". Longbow, though, was more memorable to me because it was such a blunt, no-nonsense design for a very unsubtle missile boat. Excalibur, though... she's gorgeous on every angle, while Dragon only gets elegant on a few ones and Prophecy designs just don't cut out for me. The only design that comes close in my eyes is Wing Commander II's take on Rapier.

Yep, these two Kat designs are quite great, though I kinda disagree with you on Hellcat, though in a more meta sense, Hellcat's design is very good IMO because it is so "meh" it fits perfectly the role in the fleet: "does the job, not too sexy but reliable". Longbow, though, was more memorable to me because it was such a blunt, no-nonsense design for a very unsubtle missile boat. Excalibur, though... she's gorgeous on every angle, while Dragon only gets elegant on a few ones and Prophecy designs just don't cut out for me. The only design that comes close in my eyes is Wing Commander II's take on Rapier.
Can't disagree on the Rapier II; it is a gorgeous ship. I have a soft spot for the Hellcat for some reason, bland though it may be. I like the no-nonsense look.

the Excalibur is special, it has a bold look, I like the aggressive look of the Dragon also or some deadly look I would say, at some angles is looks very modern and elegant like you mentioned...

Alas, I think EA has more 'sure fire' franchises to bank on than to take a gamble on something 'long forgotten' like Wing Commander...
Fortunately for us, the math is much more complicated than greater popularity = better chance of making a game. EA doesn't have all that many sci-fi properties to lean on. Star Wars and Mass Effect are the obvious ones. In either case, a misstep (think Battlefront loot boxes or Andromeda reception) leads to a cooling off period for the franchise that creates opportunities for something else. It's still a tall order, but not impossible. There have been a number of efforts over the years to potentially make a new game. The WC brand has value as a licensable property to contract out to a developer who doesn't have a space sim in their stable. It's also a potential vehicle to experiment with an unusual/novel/risky type of game that you may not be willing to expose your main franchises to. A rumored EA buyout could also reset the board and open up new possibilities. Lots can happen.

A pity they couldn't go warhammer and just license out their IP to everyone. Bethesda did something like that with new vegas too.

Back